2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LMS Recall being done today-What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FlipsFit
UPDATE: I picked up my Fit after the LMS recall work was done. According to the paperwork, it took the technician 1 hour to do the work (I was originally told it was a 3 hour job...). I can see no evidence that the work was even done! The cowling was fine, no scratches on the trim, windshield washers set exactly as they were, all bumpers/fasteners in place, no fluids leaking...

I took another audio recording of the engine running, and it sounds exactly the same. No louder, no softer.

I'll continue to track my MPG and note any changes.
It was the same thing for me. I am told that after the work is done, they are supposed to punch a dot over your VIN number so slide the little door open and take a peek. Albeit I didn't see it on mine and a mechanic at a different dealership said they don't always do it.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM
The service bulletin might not have stated letting the engine cool, but the valve adjustment procedure clearly states:
NOTE: Adjust the valves only when the cylinder head
temperature is less than 100 °F (38 °C).
I wouldn't be too concerned with it. By the time they get the car in the bay and get it all apart and back together to the adjustment stage things have 'cooled' down.

Customer relations lacks in many a service manager. So often when a customer asks a question of concern they cut to the chase with a defensive response instead of a clear supportive explanation.

At least he trusts his technicians... and things are covered.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FlipsFit
UPDATE: I spoke to Honda Customer Service about this issue (the amount of time - or lack thereof - it took the Honda Technician at the Dealership to do the LMS recall work).

The rep read the Technical Work sheet, that the technicians are to follow, and he said there is no mention of having to the let the car cool. Also, no mention of how long it should take to do the work.
The person reading from the Honda Service Bulletin must not have noticed....the Service Bulletin itself is only 4 pages long....but there are several references to the detailed procedures in the Service Manual that total dozens of pages. Valve adjustment specifically? The Service Bulletin step only says "Adjust the valve clearance." However that section of the Service Manual is over 2 pages long, includes drawings, and starts with the statement that valve adjustment is to be done "only" when the head temp is less than 100F. That said, I wouldn't worry about the temperature too much. If it's cool enough to work on bare-handed, it's probably okay and might be close enough after an hour or so with the hood open.

Some Honda techs have posted that the time allowed by Honda for dealer compensation is "no way" enough. My guess is that Honda based their compensation (1.6 hours, also in the Service Bulletin, on the first page) on assembly line data. That means procedures that have been planned, studied, and choreographed like a Formula 1 pit stop (4 new tires in 3.5 to 4 sec)....but dealership techs not gotten that attention, and typically have ZERO experience inside customers' engines, because they have never needed to. So it's bound to be a lot slower....IF they follow all the Service Manual procedures.

geo

Old 10-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I would take clear hi-res pictures of everything under the hood. I did and caught them trying to tell me that the seven large scratches that were on the air box front where not their fault. After I showed them the pictures, without a word to me, they ordered a free replacement.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I took my 09 fit in for the lms recall twice,the first time the service writier could not tell me if the valves were adjusted as per the recall,was not noted on the service ticket.the second time you could see alot more was done in the engine bay to know SOMETHING WAS DONE.ist time the car was in and out in 2hrs.the second time the car was in and out in 3 1/2 hrs.also the second time it was noted on service ticket that the valves were adjusted.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 AM
I brought my GE8 to the dealership in october for the LMS recall. it took them 2.5 hours. after completed, my car developed a valve tick so i brought it back and mentioned it and they told me that "it's probably always been like that you just never noticed it until now." this made me rather angry because i knew that was untrue. but i went on and tried to ignore it until other people started pointing it out. so i took it back, pulled it into their garage and the first thing they noticed was the "strange ticking noise" coming from under my hood. so they ended up fixing the problem but had to keep my car overnight. they changed my oil, all my fluids, serviced my transmission, and detailed it for me as well. since the valve adjustment, my car has performed flawlessly.