2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Facts of Life About the Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
Someone has to, since Your crowd can't add 2 +2 and come up with the right answer.....unless your leader gives it to you.
LOL

Twas my whole point. The blind followers of Gore and his kind need to open their eyes and stop being knee jerk followers of all that is said. A Prius, actually pollutes more than a Range Rover, when all is considered. But the worshipers can't think enough to get at the truth. They don't want to. Their sense of self-worth is tied up with belonging to the crowd, not knowing the truth. Blind acceptance of the word from their exhaulted ones.
LOL even more.

What is your fixation with Al Gore? is someone looking for a bromance? lol

A Prius pollutes even more than a RR? Prius has a Co2 Rating of 3.4 (Tons/year) while a RR emits 13.3 Tons/yr. Granted, the production of the batteries may have a greater potential Toxic impact if both vehicles were disposed of improperly but to say that a Prius pollutes more is absurd.

Are you sure you are a science teacher? Never mind, the state average of students who meet or exceed requirements in science is only 42% for AZ... You are

Blind acceptance? LOL AGAIN! It's not blind acceptance, it is actual facts.

dumping oil illegally - potential fine.
recycling oil - Free
this thread.... Priceless

~SB

Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 AM
You've never met any of us but you're an expert on how our minds are being controlled? Sure.

Nobody's saying that trade with China, or any other country, is perfect. But to say lock the gates and be self-sufficient in everything and never trade with another country is, to say the least, not in our best interest. Of course I don't like 10 year olds making my sneakers or movies being pirated (which, by the way, happens here too, because law enforcement typically treats shoplifting as a more major crime than movie pirating, they forget that theft is theft, and movie pirating isn't just stealing from studios but also writers, actors, etc. who get royalties).

Oh, yes, CFLs contain mercury, but not as much as would be emitted by coal-burning power plants if they had to power regular bulbs instead of the CFLs. Considering everything, of course we're better off using CFLs.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
You've never met any of us but you're an expert on how our minds are being controlled? Sure.

Nobody's saying that trade with China, or any other country, is perfect. But to say lock the gates and be self-sufficient in everything and never trade with another country is, to say the least, not in our best interest. Of course I don't like 10 year olds making my sneakers or movies being pirated (which, by the way, happens here too, because law enforcement typically treats shoplifting as a more major crime than movie pirating, they forget that theft is theft, and movie pirating isn't just stealing from studios but also writers, actors, etc. who get royalties).

Oh, yes, CFLs contain mercury, but not as much as would be emitted by coal-burning power plants if they had to power regular bulbs instead of the CFLs. Considering everything, of course we're better off using CFLs.
Agreed. Wet obviously knows me inside & out.

No system is perfect and having us make the products here would be optimal but... there are a few issues there. Logic dictates that one of the three options would be viable but no combination.
  • Wet wouldn't be able to get his deep discounts at Wally-world as product costs would skyrocket... or
  • the people here in the US making these cheapo products wold have to be paid next to nothing so wet could continue to shop for deep discounts
  • Wet would have to buy less as prices of items would increase.
one of the big problems is that people want products made in the US, by Americans, be able to purchase them for next to nothing, and have those employees be paid handsome wages. something's gotta give. Since the US consumer is primarily just that... A consumer... prices must stay low based upon competition and demand and the expectation is that they would continue to drop. This means either overseas production or next to nothing US wages and since the us Consumer isn't willing to work for nothing (one of the reasons we have so many illegal workers - they'll work for less), i guess production must remain where it is at.

We spend a bit more and try to buy local while buying less... but that's actually easier here since many places such as Wal-mart have limited locations in VT... And we like it that way.

As for CFL's, as long as people don't smash them and use the mercury to kill weeds but instead properly recycle them, the waste material can be handled properly. They are also an evolutionary step towards more efficient lighting. Once LED's come down in price, that will take over from CFL bulb but I'm sure they'll have their own "necessary evil" as everything has it's pro's and con's. It's about people taking steps in the right direction... such as recycling.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 11-19-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 AM
In the long run wages go up in low-wage countries. When I was a kid, "Made in Japan" meant cheap crap, until they made things better (transistor radios that didn't break, then cars....). Japan was a poor country that became a rich country. The same thing is happening in China, albeit more slowly because they've got a billion people. And having their standard of living improve is good for us- just like we benefit from Japanese cars, we'll eventually benefit from Chinese scientists and engineers- who knows what new products they'll be inventing and diseases they'll be curing in 20 years?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
LOL

LOL even more.

What is your fixation with Al Gore? is someone looking for a bromance? lol

A Prius pollutes even more than a RR? Prius has a Co2 Rating of 3.4 (Tons/year) while a RR emits 13.3 Tons/yr. Granted, the production of the batteries may have a greater potential Toxic impact if both vehicles were disposed of improperly but to say that a Prius pollutes more is absurd.

Are you sure you are a science teacher? Never mind, the state average of students who meet or exceed requirements in science is only 42% for AZ... You are

Blind acceptance? LOL AGAIN! It's not blind acceptance, it is actual facts.

dumping oil illegally - potential fine.
recycling oil - Free
this thread.... Priceless

~SB
If you had bothered to do your research, little one, the cost of mining, processing, shipping disposing and running a Prius, over its life is higher thant the vast majority of gas powered cars, including the Range Rover. But followers of the Gore (your idiol) mantra never bother to get at the bottom of things do they? You just blindly skate through life in ignorance.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
If you had bothered to do your research, little one, the cost of mining, processing, shipping disposing and running a Prius, over its life is higher thant the vast majority of gas powered cars, including the Range Rover. But followers of the Gore (your idiol) mantra never bother to get at the bottom of things do they? You just blindly skate through life in ignorance.
I think most of us did our research, and this is why we bought Fits instead of Priussssss.

If we had been in the market for a large SUV, we may have considered hybrids by Lexus and Ford vs the Range Rover and found the Rover to be a lower lifetime impact, but it's a hard sell given the cost of the Range Rover.

But if you compare Priiii with Rovers I think the contrast broadens enough to easily justify the Prius.

Also the popular accounts challenge Prius against Hummer. Get your internet lore right.

And if you want to expand your knowledge a bit, here's an article on the subject.

I know it's much more fun to pit Prius against honking SUVs, but the real choice is between economy cars. A hybrid or EV Fit would be a hard sell to most of this crowd.

Your condescending attitude is not very pursuasive, either.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't think Toyota's losing money on the Prius so it can't cost that much more than a regular car to make, since it doesn't sell for tons more than a similar, non-hybrid.

Okay, there may be more costs and environmental issues with hybrid batteries, but that's now, just like 80 years ago cars polluted a lot more than they do now... give the technology a few years and I figure they'll have a way to make better batteries that rely less on bad stuff, or at least hold so much more energy that they wouldn't need so many for each car.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
again, lol.

a few inconsistencies... you are directly relating Cost with pollution. Because something costs more, it pollutes more? your last post talks about pollution... this one talks about cost. unrelated topics. it might cost more to "recycle" the batteries and other parts of the vehicle but that doesn't mean it Pollutes more. Also, shipping of a Prius is doubtfully higher than a Range Rover. Prius get thrown into shipping containers and on the back of trucks like most any other new vehicle. Range rovers like BMWs often get their own Special Trucks that are enclosed to protect their premium paint during shipping. The RR is also 20" longer and 50% heavier. All of these mean that it takes more "effort" to move a RR vs a prius so emissions on the vehicle that is moving them will be higher on a per vehicle basis (by a lot). The Range Rover uses 24.5 barrels of oil for every 6.9 used by the prius. it also outputs 13.3 tons of CO2 for every 3.8 of the prius. Battey production requires electricity which again, does not correlate directly with emissions or pollution as the input source could be renewable (wind, solar, Hydro, etc...) Knowing Toyota's quest for Carbon Neutral status, they likely are pushing factories to move that directly as well. Range rover... likely not as much as they don't have the capital to make the improvements that Toyota does.

Who said gore was my idol. you're the one that keeps bringing him up. Honestly, I'm neither here nor there on him. he's got some good ideas, he's got some bad ones... Pretty much like everyone else. My opinions are my own based upon research... but many of things claimed by others to be opinions, are actually fact. (like oil pollutes and dumping oil into the ground = bad, still don't remember seeing BP having a big party over the spill.) These aren't "~SB pushed" or "goreisms", these are things that any one who has a clue, let alone someone who actually deals with science knows are fact. If you make a conscious decision to do what's wrong, at least own up to it even if you continue to choose to do it, don't try and justify it by calling names.

~SB

Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 AM
again, lol.

a few inconsistencies... you are directly relating Cost with pollution. Because something costs more, it pollutes more? your last post talks about pollution... this one talks about cost. unrelated topics. it might cost more to "recycle" the batteries and other parts of the vehicle but that doesn't mean it Pollutes more. Also, shipping of a Prius is doubtfully higher than a Range Rover. Prius get thrown into shipping containers and on the back of trucks like most any other new vehicle. Range rovers like BMWs often get their own Special Trucks that are enclosed to protect their premium paint during shipping. The RR is also 20" longer and 50% heavier. All of these mean that it takes more "effort" to move a RR vs a prius so emissions on the vehicle that is moving them will be higher on a per vehicle basis (by a lot). The Range Rover uses 24.5 barrels of oil for every 6.9 used by the prius. it also outputs 13.3 tons of CO2 for every 3.8 of the prius. Battey production requires electricity which again, does not correlate directly with emissions or pollution as the input source could be renewable (wind, solar, Hydro, etc...) Knowing Toyota's quest for Carbon Neutral status, they likely are pushing factories to move that directly as well. Range rover... likely not as much as they don't have the capital to make the improvements that Toyota does.

Who said gore was my idol. you're the one that keeps bringing him up. Honestly, I'm neither here nor there on him. he's got some good ideas, he's got some bad ones... Pretty much like everyone else. My opinions are my own based upon research... but many of things claimed by others to be opinions, are actually fact. (like oil pollutes and dumping oil into the ground = bad, still don't remember seeing BP having a big party over the spill.) These aren't "~SB pushed" or "goreisms", these are things that any one who has a clue, let alone someone who actually deals with science knows are fact. If you make a conscious decision to do what's wrong, at least own up to it even if you continue to choose to do it, don't try and justify it by calling names.

~SB
Also, aren't Prii made in canada, while range rovers made in england?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
again, lol.

~SB
If you were able to think..or even read..pollution costs of mining, production, shipping and disposal all add up, including the costs of energy to run the above activities. The cost of a Prius exceeds all other "normal" vehicles, including Rovers. Again, you, and your ilk, hundrds of which I dealt with while teaching science, are blinded by your left wing politics, and inability to separate yourselves from the herd. If you had been taught anything, you would know that Gore is a symbol of the perverted greenie hysteria, and is synonymous with them. I assume that in your state, they did teach you reading and writing, and interpreting. You obviously never paid attention.

Toyota's "quest" is mostly a marketing gimmick to enhance their image with those who don't think, but knee jerk react to the lasted mob fad. In any event, those lemmings who think as you do are beyond hope. We might cross you off as part of the natural selection process. Have a nice life collecting pop tops.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member

LOL

Old 11-19-2011, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

LOL
LOL...I must have barely squeaked by

I won't ever hide you because I greatly appreciate your modern knowledge. My first turbo was a Turbonetics kit I installed on my '92 Mustang and I stayed fairly current up till about 2000. Lots has happened since then and I need to catch up.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

LOL
IE...

LOL

Couldn't resist.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
If you were able to think..or even read..pollution costs of mining, production, shipping and disposal all add up, including the costs of energy to run the above activities. The cost of a Prius exceeds all other "normal" vehicles, including Rovers. Again, you, and your ilk, hundrds of which I dealt with while teaching science, are blinded by your left wing politics, and inability to separate yourselves from the herd. If you had been taught anything, you would know that Gore is a symbol of the perverted greenie hysteria, and is synonymous with them. I assume that in your state, they did teach you reading and writing, and interpreting. You obviously never paid attention.

Toyota's "quest" is mostly a marketing gimmick to enhance their image with those who don't think, but knee jerk react to the lasted mob fad. In any event, those lemmings who think as you do are beyond hope. We might cross you off as part of the natural selection process. Have a nice life collecting pop tops.
Wet,

it's not politics. you are the only one who has made this political. Gore to me, is not a symbol. maybe to the anti-greenie agenda, he is a target or a symbol but for me, he's a man who was Vice president, who has some good and not so good info. you are obsessed with the man.

The prius is a car, with batteries. you expect anyone to believe that the battery production process (which at this point has been finely refined) produces more emissions than the entire life & Death of a Land Rover Range rover? I'll call you out on it, Let's see the unbiased information that proves this. It's BS as there is NO WAY that the production of a single battery pack (which is the only thing that separates the prius from a normal car) produces 60-100tons of CO emissions (expected life of most cars - 6-10 years)

Toyotas quests aren't gimmcks, they are steps in the right direction and they are actually producing results. Granted, the publicity likely gets milked as any publicity does. That's called business.

Pop tops? is this clothing that someones grandfather wears, some new kind of food like pop tarts? Is that even in the EngRish language?

If being smart is a mob fad (you know, kind of like recycling oil), I'm in for the mob fad.

Why is it you dont' recycle oil? laziness? just don't care?

~SB

Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
LOL...I must have barely squeaked by

I won't ever hide you because I greatly appreciate your modern knowledge. My first turbo was a Turbonetics kit I installed on my '92 Mustang and I stayed fairly current up till about 2000. Lots has happened since then and I need to catch up.
Heh. I have no plans on ignoring you either., nor most people in fact. There seems to be a good bit of stuff you and I agree on, and have in common. Likewise I am sure there are areas we disagree. But I don't ignore people for merely holding a position contrary to mine.

I just started bulking up on the list in the past few months because I got sick of seeing the same mindless posters get quoted over and over, by otherwise well meaning FF members.

Some people are on there because they are either trolling, or so far gone there's no reasoning with them. The bulk of the rest are there because they either can't resist the bait or keep quoting them and cloggin up threads.

It's not a malicious thing for me, in most instances. It just helps me to keep coming back here inspite of the insanity and childishness of some posters. I am used to private tech forums, where such things are not tolerated This is the only public forum I convince myself to log into.

Spec Boy for instance is someone I agree with and like but is on the list because he keeps giving the attention whores attention and these aren't people you can argue with.

It is hard after all the have a battle of wits when your opponent is clearly unarmed.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Search: Oil Change

Return: Epic socioeconomic battle of words.

Check browser bar: www.fitfreak.net

Good thing the thread was garbage to begin with, so I guess it's not a big deal.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely beats those reality shows on TV...

Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Search: Oil Change

Return: Epic socioeconomic battle of words.

Check browser bar: www.fitfreak.net

Good thing the thread was garbage to begin with, so I guess it's not a big deal.
Normally I wouldn't keep it going and would have called it quits by now but there's two things about this thread that makes me unconcerned about making this thread go off track. You mentioned the one, and the other is the fact that there is a Science Teacher out there proclaiming its perfectly fine to dump oil. I almost called it quits on the last thread as my wife's been giving me the evil eye on this. This round, I'm out as it's not worth it anymore (Plus, our 5 year old had a friend sleep over and OH MY GOD!!!! I'm ready for a nap.).

~SB

Old 11-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Normally I wouldn't keep it going and would have called it quits by now but there's two things about this thread that makes me unconcerned about making this thread go off track. You mentioned the one, and the other is the fact that there is a Science Teacher out there proclaiming its perfectly fine to dump oil. I almost called it quits on the last thread as my wife's been giving me the evil eye on this. This round, I'm out as it's not worth it anymore (Plus, our 5 year old had a friend sleep over and OH MY GOD!!!! I'm ready for a nap.).

~SB
Well, it seems like wetphoto vs. Everybody Else, and no teaching old dogs new tricks you know.

Also, this thread and wetphoto aren't worth "The Wife's Eye"... besides, i'm almost sure wetphoto's only doing this to promote free thinking, as college professors often do, and I respect that.

Pouring waste oil into the ground is not something I promote, but wetphoto, I understand you.

/thread?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Pouring gas on a fire don't help either.......

Quick Reply: The Facts of Life About the Oil Change