2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Facts of Life About the Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
People, do yourselves a favor and google The Magnuson Moss act. It is a law that basically states that if a manufacturer mandates the use of their exclusive oil, filter, brakes etc. that they must supply them at no cost. They recommend, but do not make it manditory (they can't). If a dealer tries to tell you differently mention the Magnuson Moss act & see what they say. (U.S. only)

Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
With the Fit the switch to 0W-20 was the 2011 year. I haven't gotten a clear picture if Honda recommends using it in pre-2011 cars though. Last oil change the shop wasn't clear on the policy, it had just been announced, and 5W-20 was used.

Some where on the forum is a post regarding the switch. Sounded like Honda is going to say for all cars, even older ones???? not clear on that.

This upcoming oil change [3rd] will be a DIY and see me switch to 5W-20 synthetic.
Not true. 0W/20 has been the preferred fill for a few years.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
NOT for the Fit!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by SevereService
This is true. There are other oils which might meet the established specifications and Honda does not own refineries. However, there was a specific reason why Honda chose to put their name on a bottle of oil. That reason could have been monetary where as they got a good deal from Mobil or Quaker State or whoever makes the oil. However, I think Honda's engineers looked at it and put their seal of approval on it.

Honda is a company that brags about having million mile cars on the road. Why would they put their name on a bottle of oil if they did not believe it wasnt the best for their cars? Besides, the Honda oil is priced in the same range as other brands. So if you have one bottle of oil that says Honda and the other non-Honda oil which are the same price, then what would you put in your engine. Here is a link showing how much non-Honda brand oil costs:

Amazon.com: 0w-20 Motor Oils

In reality, I acknowledge that whats in the Honda bottle might be exactly the same as whats in the Mobil bottle, but we were not in those meetings with engineers who decided which oil to put in the Honda bottle. We dont know if there is in fact special formulation in the Honda bottle. So I would rather just buy the Honda branded oil.
Ford has its name on oil, as does even Kawasaki. Honda does not have magical engineers, with acces to special oil refining techniques. They also buy parts for the cars from other auto parts suppliers. Any oil, or other fluid, that meets Honda's requirements, will do just fine. Do it yourself and save the bucks, not to mention the time to drive to a dealership, cool your heels while it is done, and then drive home. I can do an oil change on the Fit in less than 10 minutes, including getting the ramps out.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Can a mod please change the title of this thread to-

One guy's unqualified opinions about the oil change.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
I can do an oil change on the Fit in less than 10 minutes, including getting the ramps out.
but then you have to buy your oil & filter, and go recycle the old oil adding 1hr. this is the part i dread doing my own oil changes, but i still do it as i like to inspect the undercarriage while im down there and want to know 100% that the job was done right.

especially on my G and Z it has a bottom plastic cover with many bolts that needs to be removed and torqued back correctly that i dont trust some teen express lube kid at the dealer to do these cars.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
but then you have to buy your oil & filter, and go recycle the old oil adding 1hr. this is the part i dread doing my own oil changes, but i still do it as i like to inspect the undercarriage while im down there and want to know 100% that the job was done right.

especially on my G and Z it has a bottom plastic cover with many bolts that needs to be removed and torqued back correctly that i dont trust some teen express lube kid at the dealer to do these cars.
I buy castrol or Pennzoil full synthetic and oil filter while I do my othe3r shopping at Wal-Mart. Recycle? Nobody has do do that, only desciples of Al Gore.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I do hope you see the value of recycling motor oil. Nothing to do w/ politics at all.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I do hope you see the value of recycling motor oil. Nothing to do w/ politics at all.
What value? Take 4 qts to a "station", they have to ship it out, it then gets "processed", sent to it's final destination, all costing fuel to do all this. Cheaper to just pump the new stuff.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
What value? Take 4 qts to a "station", they have to ship it out, it then gets "processed", sent to it's final destination, all costing fuel to do all this. Cheaper to just pump the new stuff.
Most used motor oil is not rerefined into motor oil. It is burned as fuel. This saves virgin oil, gas, or coal being used as fuel.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Most used motor oil is not rerefined into motor oil. It is burned as fuel. This saves virgin oil, gas, or coal being used as fuel.
My question, though, is how much is really saved after the separating, if any, shipping and the lot. Sort of like hybrid cars. When EVERYTHING, including production, shipping, battery recycling and the like, is calculated, it is less efficient than a gas car. Especially one like the Fit.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM
So, what do you do with the oil after you drain it out of the crankcase?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Hopefully not put down the drain or thrown in the trash!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
NOT for the Fit!!!
I have worked for Honda for the past 28 years & since the early 2000s the preferred oil weight for the entire Honda/Acura line (excluding turbo equiped models) has been 5W/20. You can decide to run the recommended fill or I prefer a synthetic 5W/30. Either way it has ZERO effect on your warranty, as long as the oil meets the API ratings.

Last edited by Rygrego; 11-14-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM
You're correct, however, in the post I commented on you said 0W20.?. Me thinks you were thinking 5W20 ;-)

In 2009 Honda announced they were introducing 0W20 as the preferred oil grade being phased in, retro to some models back to the late 90's I think.

2011 saw it as the oil for the Fit.

Here's a post:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...-0w20-oil.html

Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I buy castrol or Pennzoil full synthetic and oil filter while I do my othe3r shopping at Wal-Mart. Recycle? Nobody has do do that, only desciples of Al Gore.
This has to be one of the more ignorant posts. First of all, everyone should recycle. The oil gets reused for other purposes such as providing power for your house instead of being wasted. Think about it; even if the cost of recycling were to break even, we'd still be ahead as it wouldn't be dumped into a river, down the drain, or out in your back yard where it WILL kill (maybe not you or me today, but grass, trees, wildlife, etc...) It takes no effort to recycle it as you can do it on your way to... wherever... so there's no cost on your end as you aren't required to drop it off that day.

It's common sense that recycling is the smart thing (and right thing) to do.

And Walmart...? Really? walmart? ~Sigh.

~SB

Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
You're correct, however, in the post I commented on you said 0W20.?. Me thinks you were thinking 5W20 ;-)

In 2009 Honda announced they were introducing 0W20 as the preferred oil grade being phased in, retro to some models back to the late 90's I think.

2011 saw it as the oil for the Fit.

Here's a post:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...-0w20-oil.html
I stand corrected.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
+reps to you, we've all stood corrected ;-)

Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
This has to be one of the more ignorant posts. First of all, everyone should recycle. The oil gets reused for other purposes such as providing power for your house instead of being wasted. Think about it; even if the cost of recycling were to break even, we'd still be ahead as it wouldn't be dumped into a river, down the drain, or out in your back yard where it WILL kill (maybe not you or me today, but grass, trees, wildlife, etc...) It takes no effort to recycle it as you can do it on your way to... wherever... so there's no cost on your end as you aren't required to drop it off that day.

~SB
Apparently you don't know it, but Castrol from Wal mart is the same as Castrol from anywhere else. So keep the snooty attitude elsewhere. You just don't get it. The TOTAL cost of recycling needs to be considered, not just YOUR cost. And what SHOULD be done is a personal decision. You have not authority to tell others what they SHOULD do. You opinion only. Unproven, unverified, and untrained.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by specboy

~SB
By the way...Aren't you the one who, a few months back went stark raving haywire trying to tell people they had to use air pressures EXCACTLY as stated in the manual? Do you think for yourself, or do as you are told?

Quick Reply: The Facts of Life About the Oil Change