2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Facts of Life About the Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
Here is pictures of the Honda Motor Oil:

New GENUINE HONDA synthetic and full synthetic oils - Honda-Tech

Look at what it says on the bottle. This is the only oil that is tested and approved by Honda Research and Development meaning they looked this oil and gave it their seal of approval.

It really might not make much of a difference in the end if you get bottles of Mobil 1 from the Walmart or Honda oil from the dealer, but there is no price difference between the two. So I would just go with the Honda oil at the dealer.
But there is a fairly big price difference -- 0w-20 Mobil 1 in a 5 qt. jug is $24 at my local Walmart, putting it at less than $5 a qt. From Bernardi, it's $2 a qt. more, and likely even higher at my local dealer (retail is $8.90, $4 more than Mobil 1).

You may figure that the extra cost is wor it for Honda oil, but there is certainly an extra cost.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Honda motorcycle dealers were selling synthetic oil under the Honda brand 9 years ago and it was also priced at about $9.00... Dealerships don't have the high volume sales the mass market stores and auto supply stores do and there overhead is insanely high as well... Walmart, Auto Zone and other retail chains are the best bet to $ave money and they have the variety of different weights and grades of oil that are best suited for your style of driving the length of time between oil changes you are comfortable with the climate where you drive and the engine modifications that have been done to your car...

Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 PM
As for getting the oil changed at an independent mechanic, remember the only fluids that should go into your engine are the ones which are specified in the vehicle's owners manual.
Exactly. Oil goes in the engine, anti-freeze goes in the radiator, and washer fluid or water goes in the washer fluid container.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
I think its $24 for the regular 10w-30 oil, but everywhere I look for 0W-20 its more like $7-8 per quart.

I looked on Amazon and Google shopping link:

Google

Ive looked on the internet for exactly who makes the Honda 0W-20. I believe its Connoco Phillips which makes engine oil under the Kendall Brand. About 2 years or so ago a Japanese company made the oil.

I have read that some Honda dealerships just use whatever oil they can get their hands on which meets the specification. 0w-20 oil is only made by a few companies and is usually very pricey. Thats why my last oil change was $70...Im not sure if you can buy 0W-20 in bulk. Im going to check with my dealer.

I guess I am very anal about these things. I use my car for a living and am going to keep my Honda Fit until the wheels fall off. I would like to get at least 250,000 miles out of it before it blows up...i.e. rod knock, etc. I kind of feel that these choices between the oil might mean the difference between rod knock at 200 or rod knock at 300...

Last edited by SevereService; 09-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Here is pictures of the Honda Motor Oil:

New GENUINE HONDA synthetic and full synthetic oils - Honda-Tech

Look at what it says on the bottle. This is the only oil that is tested and approved by Honda Research and Development meaning they looked this oil and gave it their seal of approval.

It really might not make much of a difference in the end if you get bottles of Mobil 1 from the Walmart or Honda oil from the dealer, but there is no price difference between the two. So I would just go with the Honda oil at the dealer.
If you could only use Honda oil in a Fit (or any other honda for that matter), 90% of honda owners would have voided their factory warranty on the engine at the first oil change.

I think its $24 for the regular 10w-30 oil, but everywhere I look for 0W-20 its more like $7-8 per quart.

Google

Ive looked on the internet for exactly who makes the Honda 0W-20. I believe its Connoco Phillips which makes engine oil under the Kendall Brand. About 2 years or so ago a Japanese company made the oil.

I have read that some Honda dealerships just use whatever oil they can get their hands on which meets the specification. 0w-20 oil is only made by a few companies and is usually very pricey. Thats why my last oil change was $70...Im not sure if you can buy 0W-20 in bulk. Im going to check with my dealer.

I guess I am very anal about these things. I use my car for a living and am going to keep my Honda Fit until the wheels fall off. I would like to get at least 250,000 miles out of it before it blows up...i.e. rod knock, etc. I kind of feel that these choices between the oil might mean the difference between rod knock at 200 or rod knock at 300...
It's been a while since I bought M1 Synthetic in the bottle but if I remember correctly, I paid $7/qt at K-mart (won't even consider wal-mart)

$70? for an oil change? I paid $39 for a full Synthetic Mobil1 Oil change at the dealer. you are seriously getting ripped off.

~SB

Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member

Google

Here is what I paid for my last 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 (I did an even exchange of a jug of Penzoil Platinum for it):

(I take pictures of my supplies when I do oil changes, just in case I need it for warranty issues down the road.)

Last edited by clicq; 09-25-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
If you can find it for $24 then good for you. Im just saying I cant find it here at any store for that price or online...

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Stock up when parts stores have their specials. There are a lot of 0w-20 oils out there now that are just fine for use in a Honda. Valvoline, Castrol, and Mobil1 are all readily available over the counter, and frequently available for $30-35 with filter.

I've used M1 0w-20 in our Fit since 20k miles. It works well.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

All oil threads since 2002 on the internet are troll threads

Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
Here is what I paid for my last 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 (I did an even exchange of a jug of Penzoil Platinum for it):

(I take pictures of my supplies when I do oil changes, just in case I need it for warranty issues down the road.)
You got the wrong Honda filter. The A02 is a Fram. Always get the A01 (Filtec)

http://www.handa-accessories.com/a01open.jpg

If you can't find the A01, get the Napa Gold or Pure 1. They are better constructed than the Fram.

The Pure ones are on sale for $3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by Ein; 09-27-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Even if it was more expensive to do an oil change myself, I'll be happy to spend more money to do it myself because I know I'm not fucking up my car in the process. I know that the drain plug is tightened, I know I put new oil in it, I know the filter is new, and I get the satisfaction of it being done right. I couldn't trust a dealership to take my car around the block, let alone do any kind of work to it. So much so that when it comes time to swap out the OEM tires on my Fit, I'm taking the damn things off of my car myself, driving into town, watching them as they mount and balance it, and put them back on my car myself.

Even if they offer to pay for any damages they do to my car, why not just cut out that BS and do it myself.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Seriously $70 for an oil change is absurd. Especially since 0w-20 Mobil 1 afe can be had for $30 @ 5qt. plus a mobil filter at advance auto parts. I hope you don't bring it there every 3k as well.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Getting your oil changed at the Honda dealer doesn't mean they are using Honda oil. I just returned from my local
Honda dealer and asked about Honda oil in quart bottles. They use bulk oil, it's not economical to sell oil in quart bottles.
Surprised? No I'm not.

I also asked if they use 0w-20 oil and they said yes. I suspect they get their bulk oil from Pugh Oil (a local lube products
supplier for dealers). Pugh is a Valvoline dealer.

Most local dealers use Pugh Oil. Guys it's all about profit, so the dealer is going to used products that cost less than
the inflated Honda prices.

Years ago I purchased a new Nissan Sentra. The salesman took me to the service manager. Service manager showed
me Nissan and Fram filters that had be sliced open and pointed out the good quality of the Nissan Filter compared to
the Fram and suggested I use nothing but Nissan filters in my new car.

One day I walked into the parts place to buy a Nissan oil filter, I noticed they had a shelf full of Valvoline oil filters.
I asked, why the Valvoline filters, your service manager recommended I use Nissan filters? He stumbled for words
and said the service department sometimes needs filters when parts is closed (the Valvoline filters were also in the
parts department).

The next time I went in the Valvoline filters were not visable, but I suspect they were still using them in budget
oil changes.

What's my point? Snoop around and you may not be getting what the dealer assures you is the genuine stuff.
I would be very suspicious of $20-$25 oil changes. You can be sure the shop isn't willing to lose money to help
their customers.

Clifton

Last edited by flash75; 09-27-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
^-^well said^-^

Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
I came across this article and it says we don't even need to use 5W20 or 0W20 on our Fit.

Truth about 5w-20 and 0W-20 Motor Oil - technical facts

Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I use peanut butter.

Chunky.

Seriously, another one of these? Somebody needs to give me the banhammer to mod technical threads.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM
I used to change my own oil, but then I found that I was putting way too much time into it and then there was the big oil mess/waste oil to contend with at the end of the job. Did I really want to put that big pan of used oil in my car to transport and dispose of?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
It's your nickel... er... dime!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I keep a gallon container around to dump the oil into for the very short trip to the gas station that happily takes back used oil. Laundry detergent containers work well because they, like politicians, have big mouths that work well to dump oil in.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
My brooklyn dealership charges me 31$ out the door OEM filter and 5w20 honda oil. Eat your heart out.

Quick Reply: The Facts of Life About the Oil Change