2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I scraped!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
You do good work Wild Bill... I just got a freshly painted Mugen style front bumper, projector headlights and a fake J's grille that needs to be painted to match... Since getting the coil overs and being able to change the height of the suspension I will be able to drive without trashing the front end as much, maybe not at all.... I guess my car has more of a rally car look to it now and that's fine with me... My wife read off a list of all of the parts I have bought and installed as well as jumping all over me to sell what I have removed... What pissed her off the most was the parts I have that need to be installed... I'm living in a world of shit right now...Her list wasn't as complete as she thinks so things may get worse.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
For the time being, I don't have a missus to beat me down.

As for scraping my Fit... I gouged out a good chunk the previous winter, but it's not very visible, since it's the underside of front bumper's "lip." Over the following summer, during my road trip, I scratched that same corner quite a bit when I went off the pavement (the same incident that tore up part of the underside engine splash cover). Those scratches are quite visible this time.

I'm not going to fix or otherwise cover up those blemishes (I am replacing the underside cover, since that's more for practical reasons than cosmetic). In fact, I kinda like them... they give my car a little bit of character. It's strong enough to handle an abusive owner.

( >.< )

Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
You do good work Wild Bill... I just got a freshly painted Mugen style front bumper, projector headlights and a fake J's grille that needs to be painted to match... Since getting the coil overs and being able to change the height of the suspension I will be able to drive without trashing the front end as much, maybe not at all.... I guess my car has more of a rally car look to it now and that's fine with me... My wife read off a list of all of the parts I have bought and installed as well as jumping all over me to sell what I have removed... What pissed her off the most was the parts I have that need to be installed... I'm living in a world of shit right now...Her list wasn't as complete as she thinks so things may get worse... I'll write her a check for $500 if she promises to quit bitching and continues to sleep in the other bedroom.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You do good work Wild Bill... I just got a freshly painted Mugen style front bumper, projector headlights and a fake J's grille that needs to be painted to match... Since getting the coil overs and being able to change the height of the suspension I will be able to drive without trashing the front end as much, maybe not at all.... I guess my car has more of a rally car look to it now and that's fine with me... My wife read off a list of all of the parts I have bought and installed as well as jumping all over me to sell what I have removed... What pissed her off the most was the parts I have that need to be installed... I'm living in a world of shit right now...Her list wasn't as complete as she thinks so things may get worse... I'll write her a check for $500 if she promises to quit bitching and continues to sleep in the other bedroom.
Now how did the wife get a hold of the list of parts? You deserve to live in the world of Shit then.

Why does she have to sleep in the other bedroom when you are in the barn with the dog? Oh wait the GF has the master.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Now how did the wife get a hold of the list of parts? You deserve to live in the world of Shit then.

Why does she have to sleep in the other bedroom when you are in the barn with the dog? Oh wait the GF has the master.
This gal is sneaky and has a memory that is amazing... I've never made a list and have no idea how she does it.. Part of the purchases are on a credit card we both use that I always pay off my purchases on and I always have a few thousand bucks in my checking account and the bills are never late in being paid... I just don't know why she is getting cantankerous... I bring in twice the money that she does and will be taking in more in a couple of months..... I might build a little cabin in the barn for dog and me to share... She can't sleep if I'm not inside the house at night unless the dog is.. Maybe not this dog but she was that way when we had a Chow and Doberman.. I think she is pissed about having having messed up her Forester and paying out $800 on having it fixed..... I had already told her I'd cover half of it but she won't take the money.. Haven't you met women that just like to make you miserable for bullshit reasons??? Damn near all of them are like that at least part of the time... Never knowing why or when that time is coming will keep you messed up almost as much as when they are being crazy on you... That's why I will keep a bottle of whiskey around to use medicinally.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
This gal is sneaky and has a memory that is amazing... I've never made a list and have no idea how she does it.. Part of the purchases are on a credit card we both use that I always pay off my purchases on and I always have a few thousand bucks in my checking account and the bills are never late in being paid... I just don't know why she is getting cantankerous... I bring in twice the money that she does and will be taking in more in a couple of months..... I might build a little cabin in the barn for dog and me to share... She can't sleep if I'm not inside the house at night unless the dog is.. Maybe not this dog but she was that way when we had a Chow and Doberman.. I think she is pissed about having having messed up her Forester and paying out $800 on having it fixed..... I had already told her I'd cover half of it but she won't take the money.. Haven't you met women that just like to make you miserable for bullshit reasons??? Damn near all of them are like that at least part of the time... Never knowing why or when that time is coming will keep you messed up almost as much as when they are being crazy on you... That's why I will keep a bottle of whiskey around to use medicinally.
LOL! I hear ya man.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Ha read this thread and laughed. In Ohio it's cool to scrape. We live by the saying "if sparks don't fly ur cars too high"

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Wonder if there is any Fit owner who has not scraped? I recently got some touch up paint to cover a few nicks and scratches. I looked under the front bumper ad realized I'd need a quart of touch up, not a tiny bottle. It will stay as is, because there are sure to be more scrapes there.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
That elongated snout just shouts I want to scrape.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
I've done my best to keep from dragging the nose of the Fit, and in 50,000 miles, I've only dragged it twice-once on each corner. Unfortunately, once is all it takes, and with a metallic paint, there's no touching it up invisibly. Each time it was a concealed pothole between the street and a steeply angled parking lot entrance that did me in. That's life in pothole land (otherwise known as upstate NY). Fortunately, the scrapes aren't visible unless you look under the car. When it gets warmer, I'm going to sand them smooth and leave them black-matching on both sides. Maybe I'll bolt on a couple of nylon "rub strips".

That's the one biggest gripe I have with the car is that elongated snout on the US spec Fit. Not only does it ground way too easily, it's also ugly.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
I scraped today and bad enough so you can see it without looking underneath. Waaahh! I have some touchup paint in the little bottle and thought I would try to cover the part that shows. Is there some special way to do this, like do I need to sand it down or anything? It doesn't have to look perfect, just not so noticeable.

I thought of taking it to a body shop but it will just happen again sooner or later so why bother.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I scraped my 09 a couple times. Haven't yet with my 2012. My scrapes were two bad driveways. I back out of them and turn the wheel to slant out at just the right time now. It can be done if you're careful. Scraping didn't make me feel nearly as bad as curbing my 09 wheel- all because I had to get a little closer to the damn curb. Moron. Even though it wasn't a bad one, curbing hurt way more than scraping.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I used my Honda touch up paint on my lip scrape and it looks way better. Only a little black was showing from the front anyway but enough that you could notice it. Now after the repair it is ok to a casual glance. I am satisfied and determined to never scrape again (famous last words)! Dang those driveways anyway.