2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

cable reel help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
cable reel help

ok, so i was installing the audio controls on my steering wheel. followed all the diy's to the t. everything was great, i put it all back together, nothing worked. well, i can't say nothing worked, my cruise worked still and the audio controls illuminated with the lights. so, i went to take the steering wheel back off and when i pulled, my cable reel popped open. it was a mess, but i got all the cables back in. do you think it's alright? everything seems to be working the same as before.

also, for anyone that's done the audio controls, any ideas why it wouldn't be working? i tested continuity of the 2 wires i had to make from the cable reel all the way to the pins. I couldn't really test once i had the pins IN the radio harness, just because my poker for my tester wouldn't hit the pins. The only thing I can think of is that the pins aren't in ALL the way to the radio harness. just wondering if anyone else had some issues with that.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
And you're sure you got the right pins?

Before putting the wiring into the car, did you do a direct test to see if the pin connectors fit snugly?

I have the part for the steering wheel, but I haven't done the mod because I have no idea which pin would fit. One of these days....

Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I had the same problem making a connection when I installed my audio controls. it seems that the pins weren't making a proper connection with the harness. what I did was disassemble a piece of wire and take out a few strands of copper. I took a very short strand (a bit longer than the pin) and pushed it into the harness and then plugged in the pins. that made the connection. be careful with this procedure though since you don't want to short anything out. I figured that I'm ok doing it since I don't plan to unplug the harness ever again. good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
got it... wow, that was a pain. i diagnosed every single wire and connection, then found out that the pins just weren't getting a good connection to the radio. replaced the pins (for a fourth time) and just hit the thing until it worked.