2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Second Auxiliary Audio Input Jack in Glove Compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Second Auxiliary Audio Input Jack in Glove Compartment?

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I really appreciate that this community exists.

I recently got a 2011 Honda Fit Sport and I've been loving it. I listen to music whenever in the car and currently I'm plugging my iPod Touch into the auxiliary input jack. I'd like to get rid of this cable that seems to get tangled around things. The iPod Touch has Bluetooth capabilities, and I'd like to take advantage of that for wireless playback.

I just bought this Bluetooth audio receiver on a lightning deal at amazon: Amazon.com: NEW Version Belkin F8Z492-P Bluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics

The easy solution would be to hook this up to the auxiliary input jack and store it down in the small space forward of the two center cup holders that are positioned just forward of the shift lever. I'd also need to get a USB cable with the correct head to power the Bluetooth receiver and plug that into my USB cigarette adapter. The Bluetooth adapter needs 5v, which USB can provide.

However, I want a cleaner solution. I'd like to run a second auxiliary cable into the upper glove box. There, I could tap into the power from the built-in USB cable and have the unit completely hidden from sight.

So, how do I run another audio cable into the glove box? Can I use a splitter that is meant as an audio output? Will this appreciably decrease audio quality?

Thank you for you help and I apologize for the lengthy post; I wanted to be sure to include all useful information.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
You'd have to pull the Fit's radio and wire in a new stereo input jack to the existing aux that comes out the face of the radio. I've had the radio-head out, the face of the radio is attached to the radio itself, but I haven't detached the face from the radio. Getting to the audio input jack (aux input) might be tricky. I don't know how it's wired to the radio itself (ribbon cable, plug, loose wires?). You'd have to be handy with a soldering iron at the least. The radio is expensive to replace if damaged.

The existing aux jack is somewhere behind the metal plate in the lower part of this picture. Maybe behind the raised rectangle.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks Steve244. I should have mentioned that I expect to have to get to the back of the radio. I am OK with a soldering iron and have one.

Is there any issue with running two cables to the same auxiliary input? I'd like to keep the current auxiliary input open for use if needed, as well.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by darksiderising
Thanks Steve244. I should have mentioned that I expect to have to get to the back of the radio. I am OK with a soldering iron and have one.

Is there any issue with running two cables to the same auxiliary input? I'd like to keep the current auxiliary input open for use if needed, as well.
Shouldn't be, but you'd need to inspect the jack carefully to see how it works. Some jacks have a mechanical switch that opens/closes depending on if something is plugged into them. It may not sense if you have something plugged into a new jack wired in parallel to the existing one if the existing one has this feature, and nothing is plugged into it.

You might want to ask down on the In Car Electronics (ICE) forum. I doubt anyone has tried to alter the factory radio though.

I do know the back of the factory radio doesn't have any extra inputs to play with.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Why not just plug the ipod into the USB thing in the top glove box? Gets it out of the way.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Malraux, was going to suggest the same thing.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
Is this the newest generation of ipod touch? Does it not work with the USB interface or something?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by darksiderising
Hi all,
However, I want a cleaner solution. I'd like to run a second auxiliary cable into the upper glove box. There, I could tap into the power from the built-in USB cable and have the unit completely hidden from sight.
On my '09 Sport, I found that the USB connector in the glove box provides very limited power, probably only a few hundred milliamps. It may not be enough amperage for your bluetooth receiver.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi all, thanks for your above responses.

Originally Posted by malraux
Why not just plug the ipod into the USB thing in the top glove box? Gets it out of the way.
I've found that I absolutely hate the interface presented on the stereo unit when the iPod is plugged in to the USB adapter. All of my passengers have also agreed that it is terrible.

The goal is essentially to get Bluetooth capabilities without having to replace the stereo unit.

Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
On my '09 Sport, I found that the USB connector in the glove box provides very limited power, probably only a few hundred milliamps. It may not be enough amperage for your bluetooth receiver.
I did not think of this. I figured that because it provided 5v (the voltage the Bluetooth device requires) it would work just fine. I just received the Bluetooth device and will test it out and let you know how it worked after I get the USB-to-barrel cable.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt your bluetooth device requires more than 50mA or so. It should be less than an ipod which charges from the USB port in the Fit.

Here's the installation guide from Honda for the USB module (already on your radio from the factory). It has good step-by-step for pulling the radio (sekret bolt holding it in...)

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I doubt your bluetooth device requires more than 50mA or so. It should be less than an ipod which charges from the USB port in the Fit.

Here's the installation guide from Honda for the USB module (already on your radio from the factory). It has good step-by-step for pulling the radio (sekret bolt holding it in...)
Thanks for the info. And that guide is very useful for understanding how to get the radio out.