2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How long will stock tires last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM
How long will stock tires last?

2010 Fit Sport A/T..
How long can I get out of these tires? I dont particularly like them but I don't have the means to replace them before they need to be. We drive mixed highway and city and have a few snowstorms yearly.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM
The stock tires on my 2009 Sport lasted 46K, but weren't quite down to the wear bars when I replaced them, so I suppose I could have waited a few thousand miles more.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Cool You can risk your life...

Originally Posted by fit_in_somerville
2010 Fit Sport A/T..
How long can I get out of these tires? I dont particularly like them but I don't have the means to replace them before they need to be. We drive mixed highway and city and have a few snowstorms yearly.
On the crappy stock tires which are the single worst equipment on the car or you can replace them ASAP with real tires...

Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
i put like 25k before i had to rotate them. iam probly going to change the whole set around 50k miles.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by fit_in_somerville
2010 Fit Sport A/T..
I'm approaching the second winter in my 2010 sport on the stock dunlops @27kmiles.
I'll be replacing them soon because I'm not thinking they'll get me through a snowy upstate winter plus my drives to Maine.

If true winter driving wasn't a concern they would take me through another year before they were shot.

Dealer told me 30k and they were close.

How many miles on the tires? Measured tread depth?

Thing is with tires is that if you wear them down to the bars they're really worth crap as far as driving goes.

That's why I'll be changing mine out - still okay for fair weather driving but ok isn't good enough to get through a winter on them safely.

So, for me it's how long can you go on them safely. If you see 5-6/32nds of tread and snow isn't that big a deal you're probably alright.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'm at 30K on my 09 Base's stock Dunlops. Stick a fork in them; they're done. I rotated with oil changes (@ about 10K and 20K). This wasn't frequent enough. The fronts are a hair above the wear bars and the rears have about 4/32 (wear bars being 2/32?). Still if I'd rotated religiously at 5K I doubt I'd get another 5K out of the set.

They don't show any alignment issues, but I'm having it aligned this week after new tires are mounted. I opted for Michelin Energy E3As in the factory size (175/65R15s) @$111 less a $70rebate for four (plus fees and labor). These had to be ordered from Michelin; I don't think they're making them here in the States yet, at least in this size.

Big Michelin bigot from wayback; they invented radials and were the only one's making them well until the 80's. I'll post a review after I've had them a couple weeks.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wife's got over 20K miles on the stock dunlops. still have plenty of tread left...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 30K miles right now with a tread depth of 3/32. wear bars are REEAAAL close 4K-5K of that mileage was with My winter tires/wheels so the OEM Bridgestones have 26K on them. I do like the Twisties but don't drive the car real hard as it is my commuter. I'm growing to be very disappointed in the OEM Turanzas. Then Again, I wasn't too thrilled with the Turanzas on my Altima however that was a bigger/heavier car. (but at least the lasted longer)

~SB

PS. Anyone know How the warranty works on these tires?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM
etf
5 Year Member
I replaced the stock Dunnys @ 14,800 miles. The fronts were missing any resemblance of tread on the outside edges. The rears were worn past the treadwear bars. My wife had 28,500 miles on her 2010 Fit Sport when we replaced her original Dunlops.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
On the crappy stock tires which are the single worst equipment on the car or you can replace them ASAP with real tires...
Agreed. I wanted something better for winter and originally figured I'd put extra dough into a winter rim/tire setup and keep the stock. After reading reviews for the Conti ExtremeContact DWS, I decided to sell the stock rim/tire setup while they were still essentially new. Rolled the money from that into what I would have spent on a winter setup and got rpf1's with dws's.

The difference from the stock tires is still huge. I know the OP said money is not there for replacement now, but if you can find a way at some point, drop the dunlops.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Some difference in tire tread life is regional. In a former life when I sold tires we were told the composition of asphalt varies. The South East (maybe the East?) has more abrasive asphalt due to the type of rock aggregate used.

Still I expect to get about 50K-60K on good all-season radials even here.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Michelin Energy E3As installed last night @30,400 miles.

1st impressions:
Tall. Dunno if the Dunlops lost that much tread (or if they had it to begin with), but the thing grew a couple inches (it seems).

Stiff. thought they had overinflated the tires, but when I checked this morning they were at about 32.5. Ride is more bumpy; not bad, but I was hoping for smoother.

More quiet. To be expected of new tires though.

Smooth at speed. No issues on the test drive. zero vibration. Tires are stamped "Germany." Back in the 70s when I sold Michelins we always tried to get the "West German" made tires for our customers. They were consistently more round than other countries'. Not sure if they made them in the States then. Today most Michelins come from South Carolina.

Geeky. These are the same size as the Base factory Dunlops, 175/65R15. Tall and narrow.

Tracks much better. I don't know how much is due to the tires and how much due to the alignment. The alignment guy said it was pretty out of whack (didn't get details). But it seems better than the day I drove it off the lot. I took it back to the dealer after a couple of weeks and they drove it and told me, "It's fine," without putting it on an alignment rack. If I did it over again I would have insisted. Might be the tires but I suspect alignment had as much or more to do with it.

Expensive. with the rebate, after taxes and fees it'll come to about $480 plus the alignment ($59). Not sure the cost is justified. It depends on how much longer they last and how well they ride with a lot of miles on them. We'll see. Maybe I'm being cheap; I don't think replacement Dunlops are less...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I've got about 24,700 on the stock Dunlops. I have a bubble starting to form on the front left tire. New Yokohomas ordered and getting put on this coming Saturday. Can't wait to be rid of the Dunlops - I would never own another set ever!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
i'm at 13k+ and my wife was at 15k+ (new go new tires and rims) we both do highway and city driving (me a lot more) and haven't rotate them, Yet but need to the front tires are getting close to the wear bar. Still have a lot on the rear tires

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a lot of people here just ignore their tires and run them under inflated and do a lot of hard cornering.

I have 26,000 kms on my car. Maybe 15,000 kms approx on original tires. I have winter tires as well. My originals still look rather new. I do not see new tires in foreseeable future unless I pick up new wheels.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Up to 25,000 miles (40,000 KM) that's what I thought. Then it seemed to just fall off the tires. By 30K they were toast. Maybe my wife whacked a curb, but 30K seems "normal" for the oem dunlops.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Sounds like a lot of people here just ignore their tires and run them under inflated and do a lot of hard cornering.
Yes to that.

What's your winter set-up? I'm on the hedge setting one up. Sure does extend the tire life though.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
mine lasted to 47K
now i upgraded to 205/50/16 continental DWS
very good tire.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Yes to that.

What's your winter set-up? I'm on the hedge setting one up. Sure does extend the tire life though.
KC, You're only about 2 hours from me so the weather probably isn't that different. you likely get more "slush" than we do but probably not by too much. i'm running Integra LS Mesh wheels and General Altimax Arctic tires. I opted to go with the 185/60/15 which makes the car ride about 1/4" higher which I like in the winter. I also found that with the LS Mesh wheels and the General Tires, My Winter setup is about 1.5lbs lighter than the OEM Alloy/Bridgestones. Craigslist is your friend for wheels as mine cost $50 for all four alloys.

~SB

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
I must be in the minority here, as I like the Dunlops better than the Bridgestone Turanzas. They really sucked! A mediocre performing tire, at best, and overpriced for what you get. They also wore like pencil erasers. Mine were gone at 30,000.

Quick Reply: How long will stock tires last?