2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MT fit sports hard to find?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM
MT fit sports hard to find?

A few months ago I was talking to some salesman at my local Honda dealer, and they said that from the earthquake and tsunami in japan that the US wasn't getting any new Honda fits shipped in because of all that was a going on over there. They said they didn't expect to see any for a couple of months. It has now been a couple months and I went back into the dealership since I saw one out on the lot, and they said they started getting them in again. I'm looking to buy one so I was assuming they would have them in again and everything. But it turns out that the MT is super hard to find now? He did a lot search, then a nearby dealers search, and then a statewide search for a MT sport, and nothing. Not a manual fit sport for sale in the state of Utah? Could this be true? I'm hoping they get some in soon, because I'm holding out for manual! What do you guys think? It's just hard for me to believe that in all of Utah there is not a new one for sale. Maybe I'll do some looking around on local sites and see if I can find anything.
Weird...

Last edited by FIT_maniack; 08-25-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
MTs were always harder to find.

Why not ask your dealer how long it would take to get one if you put an order in.

Another thing is to try 3rd party site searches on your own... like cars.com, that's how I finally managed to snag my MT. I found the listing before it even got to the dealer, and they didn't even have it on their own database. Week or so later, I drove it home.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, the mt is pretty rare to begin with. And since new fits are starting to come out of the factory again, likely the factory is doing a run of at fit. It doesn't make a lot of sense to just randomly build a few mts in the middle of the at. They'll probably get the mt at some point.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
None here. Lots of AT.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT_maniack
Maybe I'll do some looking around on local sites and see if I can find anything.
Weird...
Try cars.com. There's a couple within 100 miles of me. You sold your 2010 and are now looking for a 2011?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
My MT Sport came in last week...actually agreed to buy it August 1 when the dealer only had 3 AT's, 2 of them Sports. They showed me what cars they were promised, saw a black MT Sport coming in and pulled the trigger. This was after a couple months of shopping and looking at dealers within 100 miles, with no luck (just AT Sports all of them Milano Red which are just ugly to me, and very few of them)...and I'm in MA so it seems to be common. They did say they were getting very little to zero Fits in for a while, but that now they are starting to trickle in. Hopefully one will pop up for you soon, but go to dealers and see if you can't find out what they're promised for vehicles that haven't come in yet.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Wife drives an 08'. Need another Fit so the truck can stay parked until needed. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by mkane
Wife drives an 08'. Need another Fit so the truck can stay parked until needed. I'll keep looking.
If you aren't time crunched, you can ask the dealer to order one from the factory. I dont know the exact process, I'd imagine you'd have to put down a deposit as earnest money, but you'd get exactly what you want (not that an excess of options is a big deal for the Fit).

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 PM
We ordered the 08'. May have to do the same for the new one.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the input! I knew they were harder, but all the dealers around here seemed to usually have one or two on the lot whenever I checked.but the AT thing does make sense, it would be random to throw in a few MTs in the middle or it all. And thanks for the cars.com suggestion, I'll definitely look at that!
Lots of good ideas and input, it definitely makes a lot more sense now!
Thanks!

Oh and P.S. Yeah I sold my 2010 because I had to at the time, but now I'm looking for either the same year or newer because I want one again and I am able to have one. I miss it! Hah so yeah I'm lookin

Last edited by FIT_maniack; 08-26-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 AM
I guess it depends where you live. Our local stealership had a lot of MT's, but very few AT's.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah it seems lie that's case also. Maybe I can have one delivered from out of state, I'll have to talk to them about it.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Around Chicagoland area, I searched all over and through autotrader.com for a 2011 Fit Sport 5MT and it was tough to find within 200 mile range. I wanted TW color so that made it even harder so I just had the dealer pull up the factory order and put a deposit down on one that was to be built. It took 6 weeks from the date of build to getting it in my hands.

I also went through internet pricing so it was the most hassle free and below invoice price I could find. Go with the largest Honda dealer in your area since they work on volume and will likely sell below invoice. Most dealers still play the games so just walk if the price isn't right.

I'm enjoying the drive with my 5MT. Hope you guys find yours!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
MT FTW! i always wondered how the GE's feel with a MT... (mine is AT due to wifey can't drive MT.. )

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Out here in Socal it was a little difficult to find a Base MT even last November before all this earthquake business.

I went to a "Honda Superstore" and they didn't have ONE MT Sport or Base. ALL automatic.

Finally found a dealership that had a variety of Base MT, but only one on the store lot to test drive. The others were in the remote lot and I had to have them drive me over there to pick one out lol

Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
MTs seem to be about 5% of inventory here (Atlanta) so yeah, bit hard to find...

Not sure what the demand is though, 5% might be about right. Especially here.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
There's going to be very little 2011 Fits left. 2012's are rolling in. Southern California already has a few on the ground. Northern California will be getting theirs in September.

MT is really hard to come by and I really don't know why they don't make enough of them. Probably because of the US market. Also, Milano Red was vastly available in 09 and now it's really hit and miss. It's up to the dealers to decide what colors they want on their lot (what colors they think will sell more of).

Getting the right Fit is frustrating because the supply is so, so low. If you are able to order one and willing to wait, I would suggest doing that. My gf and I were lucky on getting the Fits we wanted - we had to dealer trade for ours.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
It was a little difficult here in Dallas but I found a great deal on a certified used 2010 at a Honda dealer.
If you are in a smaller city try looking to larger markets near you. Stuff where you can fly in and drive back easily in a day. I was considering doing that because I couldn't get a dealer around me to sell me a new one without $2k worth of dealer "protection package" crap on it, non-negotiable is what they told me. I was considering going to Louisianna or Oklahoma where the demand was lower to get a new one.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Around Chicago, there were two used 09+ Fit Sport 5MT from dealers with fairly low miles but they were asking for more than what it would cost for me to get a new one. Used car inventories are very low so dealers are holding their prices rather high.
For every 10-15 Fits I saw at the dealer, it was a rare occasion that it was a 5MT. And when I did see one, it always had a SOLD tag on it.
One thing with having a dealer trade another dealer to bring in one is that dealers tend to bundle in addon packages to inflate the price since they know you are searching for something and maybe willing to take the packages to avoid the 6 week wait for a factory order.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah that's what I did with my last one, I took the add ons instead of waiting. They had other MTs on the lot, just not the color I was looking for. But now nothing in any color. I would totally be willing to wait 6 weeks for what I want. I'll totally consider making the drive also, and doing the dealer trade thing. I just want one! Haha I searched cars.com and nothing. I'll keep looking.
Thanks for the ideas and input!

Quick Reply: MT fit sports hard to find?