2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

how are you guys getting such high MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
how are you guys getting such high MPG???

ok so i dont know if people on here like to round their MPG numbers up or what, but i have a 2011 FIT sport and im stuck in the 32 mpg range if i do highway driving only... if im off of work for a couple days and do in town driving it drops to around 27-29...

i see people on here talking about 40 mpg + whats the deal? i read the posts on how to up the mpg but i dont see how anyone who doesnt drive above 2000 rpms can get 40 mpg...

i only have 4300 miles on my car and only 1 oil change in... does the mpg get better after a certain mileage mark?

i reset my trip odometer every tank of gas and the best i have done on a tank on mostly highway driving was like 32-33 mpg... and thats driving like miss daisy...

Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM
One of the worst mpg's I got was in Florida last spring. Surprised me to no end. It's the stop lights at every intersection every 3/4mile that did it I think. 32 was the best I saw till I cut across the state on open roads.

I'm at the 39-40 mark and it's all about easy [not slow] driving - for the most part. Your Fit will get to know your driving profile. It did improve over time for me. I would say another 4Kmiles and it should be there for you. I'm at 27Kmiles now.

Are you calculating off the gas receipts? Only real way to calculate it.

4300miles and an oil change? Curious, what was the MM showing for oil life? If it was at 15% it's an indication of a hot summer and stop and go's.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Mpg

i'm no pro but just stop driving like an A-hole..aka normal. Yes, normal people drive like A-holes.

I average 35 and my best is 40mpg on a tank.

Check out http://www.cleanmpg.com

Try to use these techniques as much as you can. If you have an android device (not sure about apple app store) download "aCar" it is a fuel economy tracker.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
the reason i changed the oil already is when i bought the car i received a BRICKELL PLUS program which they sent me a check book with incentives... i get free oil changes. the first one for free was at 3,750 miles so i went ahead and did it... might as well since they are free...

Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
The fit loves 50mph driving on winding backroads. I'm maintaining about 40mpg on country roads and in no way shape or form not enjoying my drive. I don't care about 0-60's or acceleration that much but for me it's more about maintaining the speed through the corners. The FIT loses it's economy getting up to speed but once you are "at speed" it is relatively easy to maintain it without sacrificing economy.

I run synthetic but I'm not sure if does anything other than have a placebo effect. I change my oil about every 10k miles when the MM gets down to 15%. (I too am curious as to what your MM was at when you did the oil change... why so early if it wasn't at 15%. I have another thread here about both my 1 year and 2 year anniversaries both dealing with the fact I am getting 38mpg. There might be some info in there about my experiences (especially the 1 year since you've had yours for less than 1 yr).

If you have a smartphone or keep an ipod touch in the car, get an app for storing your fill-ups. It's so much easier to have your phone keep track than to write it down.

~SB

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by FIT-tles Worth
the reason i changed the oil already is when i bought the car i received a BRICKELL PLUS program which they sent me a check book with incentives... i get free oil changes. the first one for free was at 3,750 miles so i went ahead and did it... might as well since they are free...
Free is free, but the MM is a great tool for gauging oil change intervals. The old 'every 3k miles' is out the door today. Your Fit will give you close to 9Kmiles before needing to be changed. The other issue, though many have done the same as you on the first change, is that Honda says keep the factory fill oil till the first MM indicated change. It has to do with engine break-in. No where have I seen or heard of any consequence in changing the first oil early - it is what Honda says though.

Changing at the MM interval is more economical to us all, regardless of free offers to consume more oil than necessary. It is a way to make a positive difference and realize the eco-value of your new Fit.

specboy is on the mark. Here's his latest thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...les-38mpg.html

edit: not sure you didn't pay for that program - they're designed to get you in the door [$$$'s]

K_C

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 08-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I've also got an A/T sport with low miles (1200) and don't know if 40mpg is possible with that combo. However, I am now getting 31'sih in town and mid to upper 30's+ on the highway. Bumping my tire pressures to 38 helped a good deal for me. I do around 70 on the highway.

Changing my driving habits helped too. I coast to lights and stops unless I can keep momentum through them without too much extra pedal. I also sometimes drop the car in neutral on longer coasts/declines. From stops, I tend to get to speed going up to around 2.5k-3k rpm, but once I reach cruising speed I back off the pedal completely and then keep a feather touch on it to maintain my speed. A real light touch can maintain speed while the mpg display shows 40MPG or one square over 40.

I do this most of the time, but within reason to try and keep it somewhat like a game and stay with traffic. Occasionally I open her up and watch my average drop like a rock.

A/C is also a mpg killer.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I wish I could hit 35+ mpg during my daily commute. I don't think I ever will due to socal traffic + AC use. She is doing much better in the mpg department compared to the 98 Honda CR-V she replaced. The Fit is going to palm springs next weekend. Hopefully she does well with a car full of people and luggage.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
As others have said you changed the oil way too early and all you did was remove lubricants from the motor. Keep this next oil till at least 15% on the MM then change it, I am going synthetic after this oil is at 15% it will be the 3rd change the car has had since new and I am below 27000 miles. Free or not keep that current oil longer your fit is designed for it. Tire pressure and more can effect MPG as well if its a stick or auto, sticks tend to be higher MPG if you drive them correctly. Above all else read your manual and get the 3000 miles oil change habit out of your head.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
well the MM was at 70% and yes i know we can wait till 15% to change the oil.. but since i had the free oil change i figured i might as well use them... but if you guys are telling me its better to keep the oil in there longer then ill try that. I just dont get how new fresh oil can in any way be a negative thing on the motor. Yes its un-neccessary to be changing oil if not needed, but since i was un able to get the IPAD they were offering, i guess i wanted to make use of the free oil changes =)

and i will check my tire pressure tomorrow...any reccomendation on pressure? and when is the best reading? hot or cold? cause if i have to drive to the air compressor im sure the tires will have heated up some...

thx for the info

Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Consistently 28-29 here. Powaaaa

Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Changing the oil especially the factory oil too early removed lubricants that are in the motor designed to help it break in properly. That is why shouldn't have changed it so early. As for tire pressure unless you're gonna hyper mile it, I run 38-40psi cold but I also have a decent amount of weight in the back with my stereo system so you may be lower, I think the book recommends like 33-36psi but that just looks like way too little for my fit.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
^ gotcha...

i just didnt think 3,750 was too early.. but now ill wait till 15%

Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Search around the forum - there's lots of good info. It really is a great little car and getting to know it will help you all around.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
as well if its a stick or auto, sticks tend to be higher MPG if you drive them correctly.
According to the EPA estimates the 2011 Base Automatic has *better* fuel efficiency than the 2011 Base Manual. That surprised me - since I'm used to the old "stick is more fuel efficient than auto" rule. But especially on cars that have CVTs (aka Honda CRZ) sticks are becoming the less fuel efficient option.

As far as MPG - i live in Atlanta, and do a lot of city driving - which means idling at stop lights. Idling kills yer MPG, as you are getting 0mpg. I average about 30 mpg with a mix of 75% city idling and 25% interstate. When I'm on the interstate I get about 38 mpg.

So I definitely feel the OP's frustration about not getting as many mpg as some members on this board. But keep in mind, the biggest factor is where you drive. So while it would be great to average 36-38 mpg... I don't have empty winding country roads to cruise at 50 mph on. :-(

Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM
The stick is still mechanically more efficient, but is geared to be less efficient in the EPA tests. If the stick had the same ratios as the automatic, it would be more efficient. But there are a few reasons to do it the Honda (and lots of other car makers do it).

First, it would mean more shifting at interstate speeds. Not a big deal in the auto, but it would kinda suck to have to downshift for every hill on the interstate.

Second, when companies loan cars out for tester reviews, they disproportionately loan out sticks. Pros prefer them (they're car people after all). By shortening the ratios, it makes the car feel a bit peppier.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldnt feel too bad, I drive mostly city commuting and get about 25-28mpg on avg...although when i get on a highway for a long trip ive gotten up to 38.5mpg. Im sure if i drove like a grandma and set my etc on eco7 id get in the 30's for city driving but itd take me an extra 15min to get to work most likely and thats not happening.

It has a lot to do with your driving environment and the way you drive...i've come to realize a majority of the people getting 40+ are in the country or drive mostly highway where they can get into 5th and cruise at 2000rpm

just my $.02

Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
OP what is your highway cruising speed? Big difference in mpg cruising at 65mph vs 75-80mph. If I cruise at 65mph I can get 40mpg but I don't as traffic moves much faster here in TX. Nothing worse than being the slowest car getting passed left and right. That is not safe in my book so I give up 3-5mpg and cruise at a higher speed.

If you can coast to red lights and stop signs always do it in gear and not in neutral. Neutral is idling which uses gas, in gear won't use gas until rpm's get down to 1,200. Also I've found short shifting ~2,000rpm uses more gas than just normal ~3,000rpm shifts. Get up to speed and taller gear quicker and then pulse and glide for higher mpg.

My average mpg from link below seems low but that is because it includes towing and some extended idling. My norms are 37mpg hwy cruising at 75mpg and 35mpg city commuting. However city in suburbs of Houston not like downtown NYC or LA city driving. Would probably drop to ~30mpg in those conditions.

_

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
OP what is your highway cruising speed? Big difference in mpg cruising at 65mph vs 75-80mph. If I cruise at 65mph I can get 40mpg but I don't as traffic moves much faster here in TX. Nothing worse than being the slowest car getting passed left and right. That is not safe in my book so I give up 3-5mpg and cruise at a higher speed.

If you can coast to red lights and stop signs always do it in gear and not in neutral. Neutral is idling which uses gas, in gear won't use gas until rpm's get down to 1,200. Also I've found short shifting ~2,000rpm uses more gas than just normal ~3,000rpm shifts. Get up to speed and taller gear quicker and then pulse and glide for higher mpg.

My average mpg from link below seems low but that is because it includes towing and some extended idling. My norms are 37mpg hwy cruising at 75mpg and 35mpg city commuting. However city in suburbs of Houston not like downtown NYC or LA city driving. Would probably drop to ~30mpg in those conditions.

_
Very thorough but the section I put in bold, would probably be less. I live in NY and traffic sucks always which is the main reason for my crappy avg's...just saying

Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, it's all about driving conditions. Steady speed on flat ground will beat the pants off of lots of stop signs and lights. Heavy vs light foot makes a difference, but it's still secondary to the road being travelled.

Quick Reply: how are you guys getting such high MPG???