2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

how are you guys getting such high MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
I live in LA and I drive a lot. I usually average 33-37 and around 38 mixed with frequent highway driving. But when it's just straight highway by myself or another friend, I can easily pull 41-43.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, I'll move this over from the other thread.

I normally get around 34 mpg in my '09 Sport MT with normal, spirited driving. But I decided on this last tank to see what she'd do if I really nursed it. I've been trying to shift before 2500 rpm, coast whenever possible, and even shut off the engine at red lights sometimes.

So far this has mostly been around town driving - my normal daily commute to work. Granted, Oklahoma is pretty flat so there's not much uphill/downhill. And I've scrambled for every last tenth of a gallon...

And yes, I've had the ECU reflashed, so the indicated mileage is pretty much what I've calculated at the pump. I certainly wouldn't want to drive like this every day, but for the duration of this tankful, it's become an obsession.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
This tank, I'm taking it easy on the gas pedal and right now with over 100 miles on this tank I'm averaging 44.6mpg. I'm not even really trying as I'm too impatient sitting behind people, like today... Guy going 35 in a 50... soon as we got on a straightaway, pass... same yesterday. Since Monday, i've passed 4 or 5 people. If I had been more patient, I'd be even higher on my mpg. If My drive were flat? WOW... I can't imagine what I'd be at.

This car is EASY to get good mileage on... it is however easy to get bad mileage on too. One tip I use is to let off the gas a little as I get to the top of the hill and let the momentum carry the car over the top, then use the car's weight to pick up speed on the back side of the hill, applying gas just enough to prevent engine braking.
I don't:
  • coast in Neutral
  • turn of the engine
  • hypermile.
  • Need to be 5-10mph above the speed limit - the speed limit or above is good.
  • Mash on the gas to get from 40-50mph when the speed limit increases
  • fluctuate my speed that much when there's someone behind me... however rare this is...
I do:
  • use common sense
  • let off the gas as I'm coming into town and downshift instead of zooming and mashing on the brakes.
  • Look ahead and let off the gas early if I see a red light ahead or traffic
  • prevent the car from engine braking when a touch of gas will help conserve momentum for the next hill.
  • let the car's speed fluctuate when going up and down hills to conserve fuel or prepare for the next hill.
  • NOT let the car get below the speed limit - that just pisses me off.

~SB