2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

how are you guys getting such high MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
^ really? i went to naples on I-75 which is pretty smooth and when i went 80mph my MPG dropped drastically to around 29-30.. if i went 70 it bumped up to about 32-34. and that was with only one other person in the car and 2 duffel bags of clothing... i guess everything is all relative to where and how you drive. I just find it hard to believe the people who swear they get 40+ MPG and drive hard and talk about loaded car with AC blasting...blah blah blah.. not saying people are lieing, just hard to believe...

no offense to anyone.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 AM
I have shared this before and I am sharing it again

I am lucky to have married a petite wife...height 4 ft 9 ins, weight 43 kg.

Driving her around is like zipping through town without any passenger in the car.. she is almost weightless and it contributes to my good FIT mileage

Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
^gotcha! lol

im happy with my FIT...fun to drive, even in Auto lol

Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT-tles Worth
^ really? i went to naples on I-75 which is pretty smooth and when i went 80mph my MPG dropped drastically to around 29-30.. if i went 70 it bumped up to about 32-34. and that was with only one other person in the car and 2 duffel bags of clothing... i guess everything is all relative to where and how you drive. I just find it hard to believe the people who swear they get 40+ MPG and drive hard and talk about loaded car with AC blasting...blah blah blah.. not saying people are lieing, just hard to believe...

no offense to anyone.
It's the high humidity in S. FL. Increases drag.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
I average 25mpg in the city but got 40 mpg yesterday highway w/ 4 people and the a/c...it depends on where you drive imo

Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jay784
I wish I could hit 35+ mpg during my daily commute. I don't think I ever will due to socal traffic + AC use. She is doing much better in the mpg department compared to the 98 Honda CR-V she replaced. The Fit is going to palm springs next weekend. Hopefully she does well with a car full of people and luggage.
I drive about 90% fwy at about 60-70 mph. I get between 34 and 38 mpg, have 20K miles on the clock. So far been using reg. oil and I put Techron in the gas 2-3x year. This is with stock tires, in winter the Blizzaks take it down a mile or two.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I am getting 31-32 MPG. Is this below common averages ??

Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by xyz888call
I am getting 31-32 MPG. Is this below common averages ??
Depends on where you drive. If you drive exclusively on the highway then you're low. If you drive in a mix of situations, then it's about average.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm gonna guess it's a new Fit. Like malraux says it depends.

I can say that with miles it will improve. 3K showed my FIT just about where it is today. Also your driving style has a whole lot to do with it.

Knowing the year and model helps in your sig.
Then all know what you're referring to so you don't need to post it every time. Comes in handy.

K_C_

Old 08-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Thank you both. Its a 2010 Fit Sport, automatic.
8131 miles. Live in San Francisco bay area mixed 50/50 driving @ 31-32 MPG.
Regular unleaded fuel. Normal driving habbits.not a hotshot driver nor too conservative.
Usually me and wife as passenger.
Tires all @ 36 psi.
High 70's- mid 80's temperature. I am happy but not excited with my MPG. Anyone else like to share?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM
That's actually really pretty good for a hilly area with big city traffic. And two people in the car. I wouldn't be upset at that.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Regular unleaded fuel. Normal driving habbits.not a hotshot driver nor too conservative.
Tires all @ 36 psi.
High 70's- mid 80's temperature. I am happy but not excited with my MPG. Anyone else like to share?
Sounds about right. You are getting the EPA highway economy actually in Mixed driving which is above where the EPA thinks you should be. My Economy is due to strictly country road driving which the fit LOVES. I don't get too fast, nor do I deal with stop & Go traffic. The Fit loses it's economy in acceleration like most vehicles so if you plan a little (like taking your foot off the gas when you see a red light ahead instead of zooming to the light and applying brakes, you'll find that you might be at 15mph when the light turns green again and gentle acceleration will get you up to speed). This saves you gas when slowing down and conserves momentum. Also being conscious when acclerating from a dead stop will help. Be a little more conservative on the gas pedal and you should see that number go up. The fit is susceptible to a driver's actions/reactions more than many other vehicles that have slightly larger engines.

~SB

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Tires all @ 36 psi.
Get yourself a Streets of San Francisco Map by Escher and your MPG will be infinite.

You're doing pretty well considering the hills thereabouts. Go for a cruise on Highway 1 (that's the type of driving the Fit likes).

Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Tires all @ 36 psi.
You live in hill country. Given that, you have great MPG. As I said earlier, hills kill MPG.

Zach

Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ric01
I have shared this before and I am sharing it again

I am lucky to have married a petite wife...height 4 ft 9 ins, weight 43 kg.

Driving her around is like zipping through town without any passenger in the car.. she is almost weightless and it contributes to my good FIT mileage
Some guys just love those big girls! Don't get me wrong, if you like fat girls go for it. Mines 38 kg

I belong to a bus conversion forum, some will claim 10mpg with certain bus's.

After my first fill up I got about 7 mpg, I spent a lot of time looking for a fuel leak or mechanical problem and examining my driveing habits, trying to figure out why my mileage was so bad!

Then I found most people claimed about 7 mpg with the same motor, transmission and rear end gears.

Greyhound keeps records for millions of miles, with the same motor, tranny and rear end, says about 7 mpg! If there were a way to increase it to 8 Greyhound would do it.

One day it dawned on me how these people were getting 10. Their buses are full of hot air, kinda like a dirigible, makes the bus light enough to reduce friction and produce the higher mileage.

JIm 0311

Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
jjrbus:
One day it dawned on me how these people were getting 10. Their buses are full of hot air, kinda like a dirigible, makes the bus light enough to reduce friction and produce the higher mileage.
This should be set in stone.
Fishermen are known to follow the same traits as well.

K_C_

Old 08-23-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjrbus

JIm 0311
Is that with the A/C on?

I think the two extremes (Fits and Buses) share a common theme of the desire for higher MPG. The Fit, because that's why a lot of us bought them, and the Bus, well, because it's a bus.

Couple that desire with the Fit's in your face average MPG display and the tendency to clear it when it goes down is strong.

The problem reading posts here is it will lead the casual reader to think the Fit is easily capable of 40MPG+. Some posts even compared it favorably to hybrids. This simply isn't true 99% of the time. The other 1% I think they're getting out and pushing for half their trips.

I admit I was disappointed I didn't get 50mpg out the chute with the Fit. My purchase was swayed by some enthusiast cop directing traffic at Ashford Dunwoody and I285. He parked his black GD on the entrance ramp with grease penciled brags about getting 50MPG plastered daily on its windows. After passing that for six months it affected me. I think he drives a Tundra now (no bragging about MPG). I was also disappointed to learn the truth about Santa Clause.

Go by the EPA estimates. If possible compare your current ride to its EPA estimates (difficult if it's more than a few years old as the standards changed in 2008) and extrapolate by the same percentage using the Fit's EPA estimates.

Reality check:

2011 Fit Manual
27City, 33 HWY.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Me thinks the same guys that reported banging every girl in high school are also reporting the 10&50 mpg!
JIm

Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's the high humidity in S. FL. Increases drag.
actually, humid air is less dense than dry air.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ir#Water_vapor

Now, humid air may have other effects on engine performance that may affect mpg, but it's not because of the drag due to increased air density.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
actually, humid air is less dense than dry air.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ir#Water_vapor

Now, humid air may have other effects on engine performance that may affect mpg, but it's not because of the drag due to increased air density.
Not if your route is via the Intracoastal...

I have to remember to apply the sarcastic smiley.

but that's very cool to know.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-23-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: how are you guys getting such high MPG???