2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

how are you guys getting such high MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 AM
If I don't pay attention and just drive by what FEELS best i'm right there with you at 32mpg, consistantly. Even occasionally driving like a jackass and hitting limiter on freeway merges.

If I pay attention and go into grandma mode (shift before 3k, coast to stoplights, do everything possible to avoid complete stops) i'm getting around 36-38mpg.

This is in Socal mixed driving, freeway traffic, etc. Moar fun>MPG so I kind of gave up on the grandma thing.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
I think a lot of the reports are "fish tales." Or computed on 09s with the faulty data tables (see list of recalls and service bulletins). Or from unrealistic driving.

Sure it's possible to get 40mpg+ for limited periods. But under anything other than ideal conditions, day-in/day-out combined city/freeway driving low to mid 30s is as good as it gets.

After 44 miles, driving normally on the freeway with the A/C on and tires inflated to factory recommended levels, 40MPG was no problem. Speeds were gentle and traffic was kind. I got 32mpg for the tank though after 5 more days of city/hwy driving (30%/70% mix).

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
I ran in the high 38's with all highway miles. During in town sessions I was running 33-34. Mine is an 09 and I did have the reflash done to correct high mileage error which was reporting 42-44mph on a consistant basis.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I think a lot of the reports are "fish tales."
That or given the number of people on the forum, just enough people in the right place.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
i guess since im in Miami its harder to get a long stretch of smooth no accelerating streets... as long as im right around 30mpg ill be happy...

Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sloppy
According to the EPA estimates the 2011 Base Automatic has *better* fuel efficiency than the 2011 Base Manual. That surprised me - since I'm used to the old "stick is more fuel efficient than auto" rule.
Modern ATs use a lot of torque converter lockup. The MT gearing is still somewhat aggressive, otherwise it could get better mpg on the freeway. Also, the Base Auto has a different ECU algorithm than the Sport Auto.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM
SOB
My average is 32.6 mpg since I've bought the thing. That's what it says on the computer for my trip, which hasn't been reset since I bought it new. I'm also manually calculating it out, to make sure. I started off around 30 mpgs and its been going up since then.

I do about 60% or more freeway driving and at most times I do about 65-70 mph. At this speed its usually hovering around the 32-44 mpg range.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM
I get the same mpg as OP.
there may be a difference between 09 and 11 models.
also let me know if anyone gets 35+ mpg mix driving and live in california (LA or BA)

Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM
The 40 mpg reading was on the hiway driving at 55 mph with the temp at about 65 degrees. I live in Florida and in the summer the best I get is 29 to 33 doing 55 on the back roads. Hot air temps kill your milage....ac is running all the time here for the 29 mpg

Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by nerdly
The 40 mpg reading was on the hiway driving at 55 mph with the temp at about 65 degrees. I live in Florida and in the summer the best I get is 29 to 33 doing 55 on the back roads. Hot air temps kill your milage....ac is running all the time here for the 29 mpg
That's odd. All I do is drive in the 105+ summer sun plus run a/c the entire time here in AZ, and I consistently get 34+ MPGs.

I don't drive like grandma either, either right at the speed limit or +5 MPH. It's split at 50/50 freeway/surface streets.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Mileage may vary

Interesting about the mileage in Az. We have ethanol mix that I am sure will decrease the mileqge that could account for the difference ( it is only 10 percent, at any rate it is what it is....i really like the car so I will keep it.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT-tles Worth
the reason i changed the oil already is when i bought the car i received a BRICKELL PLUS program which they sent me a check book with incentives... i get free oil changes. the first one for free was at 3,750 miles so i went ahead and did it... might as well since they are free...

from what i've read, honda specifically does not want you to change oil for the first time until the MM is down to 15% because that first oil has a higher % of molybdenum in it.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
nerdly well said, the ethanol is not a friend of mpg's but a friend of corn farmer subsidy... nuf said - thank you corn farmer subsidies.... argh! i still can't understand it

spin out the question remains on the molybdenum. I've been under the impression that the moly is part of the piston skirt treatment - you are correct in that it's what Honda wants to see run through the 'break-in' process. From what I've gathered the factory fill oil is straight old dino. The moly is the key to the Honda engineer's logic, however. Still and all FIT-tles Worth is not at risk of any perceivable consequence. All will be good.

Good MPG is a product of how you drive where you drive. It's been stated in this thread as well as many others. It's not a one size fit's all deal. Drive to get the best MPG you can or drive it like you stole it and don't worry - I'm looking for the economy and appreciate the fact that I can drop a gear [or two] at any speed and enjoy it.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 PM
At 25 mpg, which is worse than what I get even when I drive like a moron, it's about 16 cents a mile in gas. At 30 mpg, it's 13 cents. At 40, it's 10 cents. (assuming $4/gallon gas).

Saving the money is good, but given how few miles I drive anyway, it's just not worth it for me to worry about the gas.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:04 AM
That well states the Fit's overall economy - I figure I saved $$'s simply by buy buying it.
Now to optimize the purchase - try and off-set the fuel price gougers, our friendly, maximum best ever profits ever, oil companies.

I am concerned about the price of fuel and the MPG's my FIT can provide..

Isn't it really about that? We're all doing the right thing and they all continue to put the screws to us...

Something is seriously wrong here - at my age it's like riding a merry-go-round.

We should all be doing what we can to reduce costs all around. Now we need a government to stand by us.

K_C_

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM
according to my Fit's computer I've been averaging 41-43mpg.. which i know is right because i calculate it sometimes.. and I got 450miles on my last tank of gas!

Some of my good MPG factors:
Manual Transmission (i think they're more efficient)
I use synthetic oil,
I rarely go above 55mph,
I coast to red lights like you read about, pisses people behind me off, but they can suck it- no point to race to a red light just to sit there.
I accelerate slowly
I use Cruise Control a lot.
I never have any extra weight/cargo in my car unless i have to

just some things that work for me..

Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jay784
I wish I could hit 35+ mpg during my daily commute. I don't think I ever will due to socal traffic + AC use. She is doing much better in the mpg department compared to the 98 Honda CR-V she replaced. The Fit is going to palm springs next weekend. Hopefully she does well with a car full of people and luggage.
I drive the 710 From Alhambra to Long Beach every day and my mpg meter is at 43.5 right now.

During the summer, I've never seen less than 41. I do hypermile and mine is an MT. Also i did notice an improvement of about 2-3 mpg once I switched to Mobil 1 5W20 F. Synth.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by LeafEater
according to my Fit's computer I've been averaging 41-43mpg.. which i know is right because i calculate it sometimes.. and I got 450miles on my last tank of gas!

Some of my good MPG factors:
Manual Transmission (i think they're more efficient)
I use synthetic oil,
I rarely go above 55mph,
I coast to red lights like you read about, pisses people behind me off, but they can suck it- no point to race to a red light just to sit there.
I accelerate slowly
I use Cruise Control a lot.
I never have any extra weight/cargo in my car unless i have to

just some things that work for me..
Ditto, except I don't go above 70. Keeping it below 70 gives me about 36-38mpg. Once I go above that, it's in the 33-35 range.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I have about 20 K on mine, and every fill up gets tracked on my iPhone using gas cubby.
Ave MPG is 32.15

Highest MPG noted was 45mpg, lowest was 27mpg.

If you drive on hilly ground, low 30s is the best you are going to do. I usually average 40 going to work (50 miles mostly downhill) but 27 going home. A freind of mine that lives near me but drives on flat roads is averaging 38 - 40mpg on his 50 mile commute.

When I put the roof rack on my car, I dropped 3mpg - even with the windscreen. I'll take it off in the winter, but in the summer I like to put my bike up and go, and not have to mount the rack before I go riding.

Traffic is murder to MPG. It takes a lot of energy to get back up to speed.

Zach

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red Rockit
That's odd. All I do is drive in the 105+ summer sun plus run a/c the entire time here in AZ, and I consistently get 34+ MPGs.

I don't drive like grandma either, either right at the speed limit or +5 MPH. It's split at 50/50 freeway/surface streets.
I'm from AZ too, and my average since I bought the car (at 15K now) is 38.6 MPGs. This includes the last few months of constant AC use, which has brought my overall MPGs down a little. I have been averaging between 35-37 MPG during this stretch. That is about 50/50 highway/city driving. And its going 70-80 MPH on the highway. My lowest tanks to date were on a trip to and from Texas, loaded down with the family and luggage and including a long stretch of 85 MPH. I still averaged 32 MPGs. And I would guess I could get better gas mileage if I drove it more efficiently. I get on it constantly. Far from driving like a grandma. My wife says I'm a crazy driver.

Quick Reply: how are you guys getting such high MPG???