2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2011 vs 2008 Fit - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Question 2011 vs 2008 Fit - Questions

Hi...not sure if this is the right forum. I just totaled my 2008 Fit this past Monday. So very sad. I will be shopping this weekend for a new one.

I would really appreciate it if I could get these questions answered about the 2011:

1. Does it come standard with a console w/armrest now or do they now offer it as an option? The 2008 did not and I had to buy a very expensive JDM console.

2. Do the fog light glass covers still get cracked from rocks and need the vinyl covering to protect them? (Mine were shattered on my 2008 before I read about it here. So, a couple of months ago, I made the Lexan covers [per heymikesays's awesome instructions from Sept. 2009] and they looked great! But they're history now ).

3. I know this is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway...will my 2008 Fit carpet floor mats fit in the 2011?

4. Will the 2008 cargo cover fit in the 2011?

5. When I bought my 2008, my first choice was the orange but it couldn't be found locally. I would love to find a 2011 orange but was wondering if the 2011 orange the same shade as the 2008? I was hoping that the 2011 is "more orange" than the 2008 was. It appears to be in pictures I've seen but I haven't seen one 'in person' yet.

6. Is the carpet in the 2011 still as crappy as the carpet in the 2008 (sorry - but it isn't really carpet )?

7. Do they STILL not offer sun/moon roofs? I'm sure the answer is yes (from what I've read so far). So, I'm considering getting one installed from a dealer recommended company. Any opinions about this?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your Fit being totaled out. But to answer some of your questions...

1. Does it come standard with a console w/armrest now or do they now offer it as an option? The 2008 did not and I had to buy a very expensive JDM console.
It comes standard with an armrest but also has an actual center console available in the accessories catalog. Still kind of pricey, listed at $180 (retails for $241.21) and here is the PDF file for the install if you are interested in learning more about it.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...11/armrest.pdf

2. Do the fog light glass covers still get cracked from rocks and need the vinyl covering to protect them? (Mine were shattered on my 2008 before I read about it here. So, a couple of months ago, I made the Lexan covers [per heymikesays's awesome instructions from Sept. 2009] and they looked great! But they're history now ).
Yes, the fog lenses are still prone to cracking and are still sold as an assembly for each side. I'd recommend protecting them with lamin-x film or some other protecting cover of that nature.

3. I know this is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway...will my 2008 Fit carpet floor mats fit in the 2011?
Theoretically speaking, they shouldn't due to the 2008 (GD chassis) and 2011 (GE chassis) being a totally different.

4. Will the 2008 cargo cover fit in the 2011?
It shouldn't due to the reason above.

5. When I bought my 2008, my first choice was the orange but it couldn't be found locally. I would love to find a 2011 orange but was wondering if the 2011 orange the same shade as the 2008? I was hoping that the 2011 is "more orange" than the 2008 was. It appears to be in pictures I've seen but I haven't seen one 'in person' yet.
The Blaze Orange Metallic of the 2007 and 2008 Fit Sport (GD) has been discontinued and replaced with Orange Revolution as of 2009 to now for the 2011 model year. It is a bit more of a proper orange when compared to Blaze Orange and like Blaze Orange is still a Sport only color.

6. Is the carpet in the 2011 still as crappy as the carpet in the 2008 (sorry - but it isn't really carpet )?
I'm not sure but it could be likely. Don't take my word on this too seriously though.

7. Do they STILL not offer sun/moon roofs? I'm sure the answer is yes (from what I've read so far). So, I'm considering getting one installed from a dealer recommended company. Any opinions about this?
Sunroofs/moonroofs are still not a factory option for the US models. I can't say anything about an aftermarket one though because I haven't had any experience with one.

Now I know you didn't ask about some other things but I would like to bring to your attention about the new GE chassis.

1. As of 2009 to present, all Fits have Daytime Running Lights and actually come with a dead pedal from the factory.

2. There was a recall applying to the 2009 and 2010 model year Fits regarding the Lost Motion Spring; however, this is likely to not apply to the 2011s and onward.

3. For the new chassis, USB and auxiliary jacks exists allowing you to plug your MP3 player or a memory stick to be plugged in and be used via the Fit's radio controls.

4. An additional trim level as been added, the Sport Navi. For 2009 and 2010, this option added navigation, steering and voice controls for the radio (I think), as well as Vehicle Stability Assist (which is available for 2011 Sports and Sport Navi models but not the Base)

5. In the case of the Sport, tires in the factory size of 185/55R16 offer a very slim field to chose from. What has been common from what I've seen here on the forum is GE Sport owners changing to 205/50R16 tires, which almost identical in overall diameter but 20mm wider and have a much larger selection to choose from.

6. Also for the Sports, there is a rear anti-sway bar integrated with the torsion beam rear suspension (Base doesn't have this). On the other hand, the rear beam is not adjustable like that of the older GD (if I recall correctly from several posts here) and cannot be realigned.

7. The GE has a flush fuel filler door that (I assume) locks itself whenever the vehicle is locked. Much like the other Hondas/Acuras that have this set up.

That's all I can remember for now, I hope some of this info helps.

PS - If you do pull for a new GE chassis Fit, I highly recommend opting for some wheel locks. Thieves have been having field days when it comes to stealing GE (and GD) Sport wheels.

Last edited by Hootie; 07-30-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Grammar, spell check, added note and precaution.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
A few corrections/clarifications for everyone's info
Originally Posted by Hootie

Now I know you didn't ask about some other things but I would like to bring to your attention about the new GE chassis.

2. There was a recall applying to the 2009 and 2010 model year Fits regarding the Lost Motion Spring; however, this is likely to not apply to the 2011s and onward.
Some 2010's were affected but it was primarily 2009's. This is not an issue in the 2011's at all.
4. An additional trim level as been added, the Sport Navi. For 2009 and 2010, this option added navigation, steering and voice controls for the radio (I think), as well as Vehicle Stability Assist (which is available for 2011 Sports and Sport Navi models but not the Base)
VSA is on all trim levels for 2011, not just sport & navi. Base has it as well.
5. In the case of the Sport, tires in the factory size of 185/55R16 offer a very slim field to chose from. What has been common from what I've seen here on the forum is GE Sport owners changing to 205/50R16 tires, which almost identical in overall diameter but 20mm wider and have a much larger selection to choose from.
Correct, slim pickins for the fit sport tire. You can also run 15" wheels which gives you another option as well but for the stock wheel, 205/50 is the best way to go.
7. The GE has a flush fuel filler door that (I assume) locks itself whenever the vehicle is locked. Much like the other Hondas/Acuras that have this set up.
Not in the US. The door is accessible 24x7 just by pushing on it and is not lockable. some have purchased the locking gas cap from the element which supposedly fits.
PS - If you do pull for a new GE chassis Fit, I highly recommend opting for some wheel locks. Thieves have been having field days when it comes to stealing GE (and GD) Sport wheels.
After almost 2 years of ownership (got a few days until I hit the 2 year mark) I am still loving my GE.

~SB

Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! So much great information from you guys!

I had my car for 3 years and absolutely loved it. I t-boned someone (not my fault). It was a situation where where people in the left and center lanes stopped to allow somone to turn left in front of them. I was moving along in right lane and never saw the car until it was too late. Didn't even have time to my brakes. I really hate it when people stop to let cars turn in front of several lanes of traffic - it's SO dangerous.

I was doing about 40 mph. I'm still feeling the effects of the accident 6 days later. I have some brusing/soreness/aches from the airbag and seatbelt but didn't have to go to the hospital. I am VERY impressed at how well my Fit protected me...but now very sad it's gone.

Thank you all for your great information! I'm printing it out now...my husband and I are taking it with us today (car shopping). This will help SO much.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation. Glad you are safe, which is a testament to the safety standards of our FITs. Hope you recover soon

Good luck in your new car shopping and hope your insurance will cover most of your replacement costs.

Just curious..what is the condition of the other vehicle after you T-Bone him/her?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Insurance company gave us $14,600 for it, so yes, it will cover the bulk of the new Fit I want to get. We searched for comparable used Fits in our area and felt the price was very fair (we paid sticker for it in 2008, just over $16k, I think). Mine had 75,000 miles.

I'm not sure if the other car was totaled. It was a 2005 Chevy Cavalier.

I couldn't figure out how to post the pics here but I created a public album, in case you're interested. (I think you just have to click on my member name to access it?)

Old 07-31-2011, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
To post pictures once they are uploaded onto a hosting site you need to...

1. Right click the image, click "view image" and then the image will be on the screen all by itself. You need to copy/cut this link to paste it.

2. After copy/cutting the link, go to the post screen and click this icon. Then paste the image's link in there.

3. Once the link is pasted, click ok and then click preview to make sure that the image is working. If it is, post it up when done.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Uh oh...tried to post the pics here and they're not here. Sorry if they show up somewhere they don't belong. Oh well, maybe I'll try later.

Thank you for your help again, Hootie!