2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Permanent roof rack on 09 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Permanent roof rack on 09 Fit?

Hey guys (and gals) I'm new to the site, but have been trolling around a little bit checking things out. I love (and hate) my ugly little car. I love it for the fuel efficiency, power and how AMAZINGLY practical it is. I've fit a motorcycle in the back of it, while driving, with the back hatch shut. Twice. Friggen sweet! I hate it because it's ugly. Plain and simple. I pick girls up for dates and the first thing I do is apologize for my ugly little car, of course, they remark, "Naw, it's cute". I tell them that their lying, but it's not the size that counts, or how it looks, but how you use it! Right?!

Anyways, I want to make my ugly little car a bit sexier and even more practical. I've always wanted a roof rack on it and have seen some with them and man, they look HOT(ter)... However in looking around, it seems like Thule and Yakima pretty much just have the lame removable ones available for the Fit's naked roof. I've seen some projects where guys have drilled STRAIGHT into the sheet metal on the roof (not into the rain gutters) and they've turned out really nice, but I was wondering if anyone has installed one into the rain gutters instead? Maybe using Yakima's Landing Pad 1, Control Towers and a sh!t ton of silicone? Any information on ANY roof rack projects is appreciated, but I'm really hoping to do a permanent job that looks professionally done if not almost stock. I'm a good craftsman, but not too excited about drilling STRAIGHT into the sheet metal. Thanks for the input!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Im sorry but, why did you get a Fit if you think its ugly?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Haha, because I'm a pragmatist. I just couldn't refuse how unbelievably practical it was, despite it's ugliness. Please don't let my opinions about my (and your) car's appearance detract from the point of the post. I really do love it, though I don't think it's the best looking car. At least it looks better than many others (cough, cough: Insight, Yaris, Prius, and Cube)!

Last edited by narnold; 07-26-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Bueller? Bueller?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Somebody mounted some permanent mounting pads in the rain gutter, I think to connect to Thule mounting feet. I'd have to do a search to find it, so I might as well let you do the searching. It was posted within the last year or so, either in the GE forum or the general forum. Happy searching!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM
My opinion only...

I feel that adding a roof rack makes vehicles look like housewife suburban grocery-getter kid-hauler station wagons with half consumed peanut butter & jelly sandwiches mashed into the rear seats by little feet, small bums and grocery bags.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
My somewhat different opinion...

I feel that adding a roof rack makes vehicles look like manly machines hauling manly man-stuff.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
If the first thing you do is apologize for your car, the girls think you're a whiner. Don't apologize (for anything). :-)

Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by narnold
However in looking around, it seems like Thule and Yakima pretty much just have the lame removable ones available for the Fit's naked roof. I've seen some projects where guys have drilled STRAIGHT into the sheet metal on the roof (not into the rain gutters) and they've turned out really nice, but I was wondering if anyone has installed one into the rain gutters instead? Maybe using Yakima's Landing Pad 1, Control Towers and a sh!t ton of silicone? Any information on ANY roof rack projects is appreciated, but I'm really hoping to do a permanent job that looks professionally done if not almost stock. I'm a good craftsman, but not too excited about drilling STRAIGHT into the sheet metal. Thanks for the input!
When I had my Yakima rack installed, I asked about that and they replied that the underlying structure presented a problem.
Plus, it didn't look like the Control Towers were really going to fit quite right inside the rain gutter.
I'm sure you already saw this thread;
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...l-8-holes.html
It's hard to tell exactly which structure is where, but I'm going w/ what the shop (Rack Attack) told me. They installed the Control Towers right into the roof (like hydronicus' light blue Fit in above thread) and I LOVE it!
The car is SOOOoOOo much more practical- I can't believe Honda doesn't even offer one!
I hate those stupid gutter-clamp systems and am overjoyed w/ my new rack. Plus lifetime warranty!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Lot's of silicon? Don't use silicon anywhere near the exterior of your fit. I do not even walk near my car if I have a tube of silicon!

Two things you should never give an idiot a chainsaw or a tube of silicon!

It is probably the most abused product DIY'ers can get their hands on. I could ramble on about three paragraphs on not using it.

Use a PUTTY / BUTYL TAPE
BLACK BUTYL TAPE Heavy mastic flexible, non-hardening material remains pliable as applied or as packaged. Special silicone-treated release paper. Can be pressed into any shape to form a water-tight and air-tight seal. Adheres to metal, glass and plastic
You may have to shop[ around for it, Home Depot, Lowes, Maybe an auto part store, Definitely RV and boat places carry it. Make sure you get the Butyl type. Should come in black, gray and white.

You will not appreciate this tape until you have had to clean up a failed silicon mess on something.
JIm 0311