2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Battery issues

Hi Fit freaks! Just bought our 2nd Honda Fit! We now own a black 09' Honda Fit Sport and a Dark Blue 08' Honda Fit Sport! Anyways we have been having issues with the 09'. I think it's the battery. We have had to jump it 3 times this week and we generally use it on the interstate. I don't believe it's the alternator because I've been able to drive it long distances after a jump start. Could it be a wiring thing? I have it going into a mechanic on Monday and it's all covered under the bumper to bumper but I'm just curious if this is a common problem or a freak thing. Thanks all!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM
And also!

When my bumper to bumper runs out where can I get a new battery! I went to Walmart, O'Reily's, K-Mart and none of them had a battery. O'Reily's said they could order one. Is there a mass market battery for the fit? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rookie33333
Hi Fit freaks! Just bought our 2nd Honda Fit! We now own a black 09' Honda Fit Sport and a Dark Blue 08' Honda Fit Sport! Anyways we have been having issues with the 09'. I think it's the battery. We have had to jump it 3 times this week and we generally use it on the interstate. I don't believe it's the alternator because I've been able to drive it long distances after a jump start. Could it be a wiring thing? I have it going into a mechanic on Monday and it's all covered under the bumper to bumper but I'm just curious if this is a common problem or a freak thing. Thanks all!
Yeah, the Fit has an Achilles's battery. But it is covered under the Honda 3 year, 36k guarantee (and not even pro-rated). But 2 years service is average for car batteries. Sure some last 8 years, but 2 years is average.

There are some exotic batteries that'll fit the fit, but your best bet is from Honda price-wise ($68 plus shipping from Majestic Honda)

Last edited by Steve244; 07-23-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

Honda has had a quality issue with batteries; have your dealer do a load test. If it fails and you are still under warranty on the battery you should get a free replacement. As far as a 'common' replacement its not there until you modify the battery bucket. Which has been done for a 51 F size battery; search the posts for photos.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
When my bumper to bumper runs out where can I get a new battery! I went to Walmart, O'Reily's, K-Mart and none of them had a battery. O'Reily's said they could order one. Is there a mass market battery for the fit? Thanks!

As far as a 'common' replacement its not there until you modify the battery bucket. Which has been done for a 51 F size battery; search the posts for photos.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
After some experiences with batteries over the years. I've decided that batteries are not 100% predictable.

IF I have a problem I do a basic diagnostic on the car, alternator putting out, no phantom loads, starter not drawing excess amperage, terminals clean and tight, every thing checks out. Then I replace the battery whether it tests good or not!

I know it is extreme, but I do not want the hassle of getting stuck somewhere with a battery that tested good but will not start the car.

JIm 0311

Old 07-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by jjrbus

I know it is extreme, but I do not want the hassle of getting stuck somewhere with a battery that tested good but will not start the car.

JIm 0311
With my last vehicle I replaced the battery every 2 years whether it needed it or not... and would keep the old one around for a while in case the new one turned out bad.

I also keep a battery booster in the vehicle.