2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why does everyone do the exact same mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
I broke my engine in driving it home from Dallas by winding every gear to the top until I had topped out in 5th and let off on the throttle and down shifting to about 30 in 2nd and repeating it for about 15 miles... I had driven it easy at varying speeds for about 125 miles before doing it.... I find it rather odd that there are people that spend top dollar for corporate made JDM parts and look down on people that don't support them also by purchasing the overpriced prestigious parts but bitch about what fools they are buy letting the oil companies charge them more for high octane fuel that makes their cars run better and get better fuel mileage based on info they accumulate on gauges that take info from the ECU.... Some get pleasure from spending money that gives the masses the idea that these things that make a car look fast is money well spent while spending money on things that make a car run fast without the proper sound and in vogue styling fad is a waste.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 07-15-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I broke my engine in driving it home from Dallas by winding every gear to the top until I had topped out in 5th and let off on the throttle and down shifting to about 30 in 2nd and repeating it for about 15 miles... I had driven it easy at varying speeds for about 125 miles before doing it.... I find it rather odd that there are people that spend top dollar for corporate made JDM parts and look down on people that don't support them also by purchasing the overpriced prestigious parts but bitch about what fools they are buy letting the oil companies charge them more for high octane fuel that makes their cars run better and get better fuel mileage based on info they accumulate on gauges that take info from the ECU.... Some get pleasure from spending money that gives the masses the idea that these things that make a car look fast is money well spent while spending money on things that make a car run fast without the proper sound and in vogue styling fad is a waste.
TC, callin'em like you see'em

Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I agree TC this is a systemic problem caused by societies willingness to accept the lowest common denominator's abilities as a perfectly acceptable ceiling for human achievement.

Also, consumerism has destroyed the technical ability and creativity of a generation (or 3 by now). Shit, popular mechanics used to publish a how to guide recommended for 13 yr olds on how to build their own go-kart. This was a completely reasonable expectation 70 years ago.

And no, assembling a computer out of a boxed CPU, GPU, HD, Main Board, and RAM cards, is not in any way comparable in terms of difficulty.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Anyone who takes a manufactured vehicle, modifies it with easily available
parts, then goes online to brag about their "creation" is a wussie.

There, I said it. No hate mail please.

The real "modders" are those who build their own vehicles from scratch.

Vehicle modification gone horribly wrong...

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=58116

The poor guy just spend the last coupla months installing the SRT4
engine into this regular Neon... and had it up and running. Then that.

Last edited by Paul56; 07-15-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I find it rather odd that there are people that spend top dollar for corporate made JDM parts and look down on people that don't support them also by purchasing the overpriced prestigious parts but bitch about what fools they are buy letting the oil companies charge them more for high octane fuel that makes their cars run better and get better fuel mileage based on info they accumulate on gauges that take info from the ECU....
Translation, please?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Translation, please?
It's silly to spend crazy money to import a JDM taillight, but then object when someone pays 20 cents more a gallon for premium for what they can prove is better performance.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
It's silly to spend crazy money to import a JDM taillight, but then object when someone pays 20 cents more a gallon for premium for what they can prove is better performance.
thank you. but it requires a scangauge?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
thank you. but it requires a scangauge?
Certainly the easiest way to monitor exactly what the engine is actually doing is by asking the ecu directly.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Subscribed for more entertainment. I want a jet engine and wings, or better yet chopper blades so I dont have to get a running start.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Why is their uniformity and conformity in our actions of creativity and rebellion?

Because we are all far more alike than we would like to admit. We like to be sold the idea that we are "lone wolves" when the reality is humanity is far more Passerine.

Most people rebel, or express individual creativity in some degree of lock-step conformity or pre-approved avenue. Most of us aren't the first person to do something.

I think we kid ourselves. We come to sites like this to share our opinions, to get feedback....to "fit" in....

50 people might want a JDM part...or make a similar "modification". And ultimately? We want it to be accepted...and approved...while simultaneously imagining it is indicative of our individualism and creativity. Some of us might be flying on the outside edge of the flock....but most of us are flying with the flock.

Those are neat rims, wheels, head unit, tail lights...lifted, lowered, tweaked, painted...all ultimately get homogenized by the whole...

The "true" rebels, the real envelopes of modification and vehicle operation are usually not respected. It's not the guy who put a $3000 dollar sound system into his vehicle, or new rims, or whatever...

It's the guy driving a 1976 Diesel on recycled fry oil. There's sacrifice and modification...and even argueably political and social rebellion expressed through vehicle operation and ownership.

For the rest of the majority? It's how much horsepower you gettin? How low can you go? How do you like how "this" looks?

And most of us are flying with the flock.

And it's all okay...and there certainly are exceptions...and other factors...but basically..we all do the same thing..because we are all very much the same...

Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Weight.

What if I want that expensive 'JDM' (lol @ that term) part AND I want performance (even something so simple as opting for premium)?

:mindasplodes:

Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
My main mod is Honda carpeted floor mats. How many have done that?

This model has only been out 2 years. The molestation generally doesn't begin until a car has been paid off and through 1 or 2 resales. I mean mods.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you built your own car, it wouldn't be a mod. That being said, it would be cool. Check out all the people who have built their own Ariel Atom here in the US.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, once you see that its been done and its something you like you go ahead and do it, this is nothing new, everyone is follower at some point, right Think about all the hot rodders back in the day, they did everything first and then everyone followed suit and then the mfg's got involved and created muscle cars and so on and so fourth!

Today's Civic is the 32' Ford of yesteryear, period! Today's hot rodder does the same thing the old school guys did if you think about it and I find if refreshing, you can only look at a 57' Chevy so many time and done so many ways.