2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wheels Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Wheels Stolen

I posted this in the "Upper Midwest Region" section but since nobody really goes into it and some people still don't realize that is the CHICAGO region, here is a link to a CBS news story about Honda Fits being targeted for their wheels.

Thieves Targeting Wheels Of Honda Fits « CBS Chicago

Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for your Chicago CBS news link... very disturbing.

I am assuming that our sports rims will be the target and not the snow tires steelies.

I've installed HOnda wheel lock nuts, one on each alloy rims..... wondered how the professional thieves normally unlock the lock nuts? using stolen master keys or just brute force banging on the lock nut until it gave way?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I live in Ravenswood. One night in October, I saw a GE and a GD propped up on cinder bricks, with their wheels stolen, within a 4 block radius. Coincidence? Hell no! I've got wheel locks and it's only a matter of time until they get to mine I suppose.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ric01
Thanks for your Chicago CBS news link... very disturbing.

I am assuming that our sports rims will be the target and not the snow tires steelies.

I've installed HOnda wheel lock nuts, one on each alloy rims..... wondered how the professional thieves normally unlock the lock nuts? using stolen master keys or just brute force banging on the lock nut until it gave way?
Hammer a socket over the nut or use a barbers socket. Any lock is only a deterrent, wheel locks included.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
wheel locks are only to keep honest people honest. they are easily defeated. if you are worried about your wheels getting stolen, park your car in the garage

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for your comment littlebigfit

if thieves hammer over my lock nut, my shock sensor alarm will activate.

However this is the first time I heard about barbers socket... how would the thieves steal using the barber socket.. is it a master key... sorry for the dumb question :-)

Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member

However this is the first time I heard about barbers socket... how would the thieves steal using the barber socket.. is it a master key... sorry for the dumb question :-)
OEM shock sensor alarm? i was under the impression the fit doesn't have any sensors. My car was broken into and the alarm never went off because they never opened the door

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM
You are right solbrothers that OEM FIT sports alarm does NOT include shock sensor.

Before taking delivery of my new FIT, I asked my Honda dealer to install the shock sensor amongst other things like tint, side moldings, etc

I am willing to invest in a shock sensor to act as some deterrent against wheel thieves as well as smash and grab thieves which will cost me my deductibles

Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
You are right solbrothers that OEM FIT sports alarm does NOT include shock sensor.

Before taking delivery of my new FIT, I asked my Honda dealer to install the shock sensor amongst other things like tint, side moldings, etc

I am willing to invest in a shock sensor to act as some deterrent against wheel thieves as well as smash and grab thieves which will cost me my deductibles
thats what happened to my car, smash and grab. they got lucky and grabbed over $1000 in camera equipment

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear about that...$1,000 is a lot of money and hope you can claim from your insurance company

It sucks when we are violated this way.

I hope my shock sensor will sound if someone tries to smash on my lock nut wheels or smash my side windows

Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
you should try it out. lock your car then try to jack it up and take a wheel off. only one way to find out.

and just as an FYI, auto insurance only covers things that are INSTALLED on your car. anything loose in your car *including portable GPS* is not covered under your auto insurance policy. that is what home owner's insurance or renter's insurance is for

Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM

A barbers socket is a socket that has sharp counterclockwise spirals cut into the interior of the socket. They taper down towards the back of the socket. You hammer it on until it "bites", it tightens itself into and onto the nut as you crank the nut off. They're sold as "rounded nut removers" or something similar, barbers socket is just what a few old timers I know call them, because they cut, get it?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for describing the barber socket... so if it needs to be hammered down to steal the wheel, then most probably, my FIT shock sensor will activate... so hopefully, fingers crossed,, the shock sensor will be a deterrent

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
you should try it out. lock your car then try to jack it up and take a wheel off. only one way to find out.

and just as an FYI, auto insurance only covers things that are INSTALLED on your car. anything loose in your car *including portable GPS* is not covered under your auto insurance policy. that is what home owner's insurance or renter's insurance is for
Per your suggestion. I tested my shock sensor, I hammered on the lock nut while my alarm is on and the shock sensor activates the alarm...noisy noisy so hopefully will be a deterrent.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the post Cowboy.

Nowadays if they want it, they'll take it regardless of wheel locks and shock sensors. Valuables left inside specially in plain sight are just invitations (come get me please tags).

Safest bet? Garage it and leave it home :-)

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Per your suggestion. I tested my shock sensor, I hammered on the lock nut while my alarm is on and the shock sensor activates the alarm...noisy noisy so hopefully will be a deterrent.
Very good! I'm glad your alarm works!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks solbrothers

Hopefully my shock sensor activating the noisy alarm will buy some time if my FIT is attacked by professional thieves.

I am tempted to bring up a notch and install a tilt sensor as well to complement the shock sensor. It is difficult for professional thieves to foil the tilt sensor... if the thieves get around my shock sensor by using duplicate master key to unlock the wheel lock nut and gently remove the wheels, then a slight tilt due to wheels coming off is going to activate the tilt sensor...

but I don't have the money to invest in the tilt sensor... pretty costly ;-)
I have to make do with my shock sensor for the time being

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
all you are doing with security is making your car less desirable to the thief. they are going to go to the next car that DOESN'T have any security.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers

Good point... I am wondering would the auto insurance cover the theft of spare tires? The spare is screwed onto the chassis of the FIT in the trunk but not installed mounted on the car's wheel yet... hmm.... but spare tire is part of the component of a car though it is not actually installed yet... grey area?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
The one thing all those fits had in common is that they were parked on a curb. I invite someone to steal my wheels, $0 comprehensive deductible baby. And stockers are $400+ a piece.

Quick Reply: Wheels Stolen