2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Time for aftermarket horns???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
so does Hella 003399801 purchase on amazon come with everything needed to install? is there a DIY thread with images for this install?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kostar
so does Hella 003399801 purchase on amazon come with everything needed to install? is there a DIY thread with images for this install?
what do you plan on doing with it? putting both as the main horn or doing a one-for-one swap?

If you plan on putting both as the main, you're gonna have to build yourself a relay circuit for it... cause using both directly on the horn circuit blows out the fuse.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kostar
Yes and no.

Yes, buying from Amazon is no different than anywhere else with this product. You get the 2 horns, the relay, and a wiring diagram for hook-up.

No, you do not get the wire, spade & ring terminals, heat-shrink tubing, tie wraps or angle brackets/hardware to make the installation look like the photos I posted.

I used to do a lot of R&D prototyping in the aerospace industry in my younger days, so this type of thing comes second nature to me. I did not create a DIY since this requires some basic knowledge of wiring/electronics/fabrication and people make mistakes. I have no desire to answer to someone that might not follow my directions...

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
Yes and no.

Yes, buying from Amazon is no different than anywhere else with this product. You get the 2 horns, the relay, and a wiring diagram for hook-up.

No, you do not get the wire, spade & ring terminals, heat-shrink tubing, tie wraps or angle brackets/hardware to make the installation look like the photos I posted.

I used to do a lot of R&D prototyping in the aerospace industry in my younger days, so this type of thing comes second nature to me. I did not create a DIY since this requires some basic knowledge of wiring/electronics/fabrication and people make mistakes. I have no desire to answer to someone that might not follow my directions...
Can you please help me with the process? I have no knowledge of wiring and all, I got the 13' Base Model as my first car and the only thing I wanna change is the horn.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Hrmm... how'd I miss this thread? Did this not much after I bought my 2008

I am using a 3000psi paintball tank which I will regulate to 120-150psi for the horn. Believe it or not, I can get quite a few good blasts out of this setup in a small amount of space.

155db works great and definately gets attention when you need it over the factory horn!

Pictures are here....

Old 09-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Swangger
Can you please help me with the process? I have no knowledge of wiring and all, I got the 13' Base Model as my first car and the only thing I wanna change is the horn.
I upgraded to Fiamms with some good info from this thread, Upgraded the Horn in 2009 Fit today. Wow! - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
but I had to figure out some of the connector stuff myself, you can see it at the bottom of the thread. Search this and other forums and get as much info as you can.

I did it in March and they still work great so I guess I did OK. Still, be aware that you are doing it at your own risk. It might be worth it to pay a reputable alarm shop to install it for you, although they will likely want you to buy the horn there as well.

Whatever you decide, the horn upgrade is well worth the cost or effort in installing.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MeTaLoFeArTh
I upgraded to Fiamms with some good info from this thread, Upgraded the Horn in 2009 Fit today. Wow! - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
but I had to figure out some of the connector stuff myself, you can see it at the bottom of the thread. Search this and other forums and get as much info as you can.

I did it in March and they still work great so I guess I did OK. Still, be aware that you are doing it at your own risk. It might be worth it to pay a reputable alarm shop to install it for you, although they will likely want you to buy the horn there as well.

Whatever you decide, the horn upgrade is well worth the cost or effort in installing.
Thank you very much!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not trying to be a jerk... but, no. I don't have the time or patience to walk someone through this wiring hookup online. That's why I didn't create a DIY. Wiring & fabricating are best left to someone that already has the knowledge and can teach you in person (or do it for you).

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I made a diagram when I did mine, it's really not too difficult, you just need to decide where to mount them...I did mine kind of symmetrically but you will need to drill a hole on the opposite side and trim some of the plastic on the stock horn side to get this to work. As far as mounting the relay, that'd up to you where, but i found it was protected from the elements on the inner side of the bumper bar. You will obviously need to cut your own lengths of wire and know how to splice and attach terminal rings or connectors. Shoot me a PM if you want some basic assistance and I'll see what I can do so we don't hijack this thread.

Here are the pics of the diagram and after install:

Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks to both Jim2bFit and Java^Fit, I just upgraded my stock horn to a set of Hella Horns! I am not an electronics expert, but with the diagrams and pictures provided on this thread, I was able to do the install/upgrade myself.

I am letting my teenager drive this car, and did not feel comfortable with the "meep" "meep" attitude, or lack there of, while on the road. Yes, it does sound like the Road runner on Roids, but it is loud enough and effective. I had to use it within 24 hours of installing it. The other driver was shocked and looked completely sheepish for doing the amazingly attempted stupid move that put us in danger.

So thanks again!!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gibster
Thanks to both Jim2bFit and Java^Fit, I just upgraded my stock horn to a set of Hella Horns! I am not an electronics expert, but with the diagrams and pictures provided on this thread, I was able to do the install/upgrade myself.

I am letting my teenager drive this car, and did not feel comfortable with the "meep" "meep" attitude, or lack there of, while on the road. Yes, it does sound like the Road runner on Roids, but it is loud enough and effective. I had to use it within 24 hours of installing it. The other driver was shocked and looked completely sheepish for doing the amazingly attempted stupid move that put us in danger.

So thanks again!!!!!
Glad you were able to figure it out and get them installed. Stay safe!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gibster
Thanks to both Jim2bFit and Java^Fit, I just upgraded my stock horn to a set of Hella Horns!

...I had to use it within 24 hours of installing it. The other driver was shocked and looked completely sheepish for doing the amazingly attempted stupid move that put us in danger.

So thanks again!!!!!
Glad we could help (even if I only showed pics!). Yeah, you sure can get some funny reactions when a "big car" horn blast comes out of a Fit.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
here's something that i noticed when i blared my horn this am. my car is running the stock G35C's dual horns wired directly to the horn wires.

i was on the horn for a good 4-5 seconds to let a stupid lady cutting in front of me know this am that she was much too close (had to slam my brakes).

anyway, the GE's battery is so weak (mine is a '12) i noticed voltage fluctuation causing a slight shift in pitch after about 3 seconds. while the horns sounds 100x better than the stock's meep meep horn, the slight fluctation in the sound was not cool.

that said, if you're doing the horn install, might be better just to do a relay. that might help stabilize the voltage. i think wat happened was my compressor came on while i was on the horn causing the fluctuation in the sound.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
here's something that i noticed when i blared my horn this am. my car is running the stock G35C's dual horns wired directly to the horn wires.

i was on the horn for a good 4-5 seconds to let a stupid lady cutting in front of me know this am that she was much too close (had to slam my brakes).

anyway, the GE's battery is so weak (mine is a '12) i noticed voltage fluctuation causing a slight shift in pitch after about 3 seconds. while the horns sounds 100x better than the stock's meep meep horn, the slight fluctation in the sound was not cool.

that said, if you're doing the horn install, might be better just to do a relay. that might help stabilize the voltage. i think wat happened was my compressor came on while i was on the horn causing the fluctuation in the sound.
You pretty much described the perfect scenario that makes the relay solution such a necessity. I've read similar posts in other threads about horn hook-ups, and what many people don't think about are the load-balancing (power draw) issues to consider if one wants to beef up the horn but still use only the existing circuitry. Wimpy meep-meep stock horn = wimpy power requirements. So I'm guessing the "not cool" sound you mentioned kinda came across like a sick donkey eeeeh-aaawww!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it wasn't nearly that bad, but there was definitely an audible shift in pitch.