2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Time for aftermarket horns???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Hella Loud!

Sorry gang, wrong thread-should've been in the GD3 <I guess>

Last edited by vinnymac; 07-04-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I used "Bad Boy" air horns because it is a nice compact single unit but still has 2 very loud horns. And I also wired it with 2 relays so that it works with both the regular horn button on the steering wheel as well as with the alarm/security system.

I did a write up of my install and included video clips of before and after install so you can hear the difference. Here's the link to that writeup

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ghlight=sacman

Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice setup with the hellas.

watch out with loud horns cause some idiots just brake hard when they hear a loud horn instead of look for the hazard and reason why someone is blowing at them.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I read all your horn mods with great interest.

Wondering how loud can our horns go until it caught the cop's attention... meaning are there any motor vehicle laws that anyone know of that may set a db limit on the loudness of horns on the road?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I like those Hellas......might just get 2 sets....one for the Fit and one for my 240Z.

geo

Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Quick question about the Hella Supertones.....does anybody know if the stock Fit horn relay has enough capacity to use it instead of the Hella relay? Does the Hella install info say anything about amps required? The Fit's whole horn circuit seems to be fed by a 10A fuse, and if the Fit's horn relay is rated for 10A then might be a simpler install to just use the OE relay.

geo

Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geomarathoner
Quick question about the Hella Supertones.....does anybody know if the stock Fit horn relay has enough capacity to use it instead of the Hella relay? Does the Hella install info say anything about amps required? The Fit's whole horn circuit seems to be fed by a 10A fuse, and if the Fit's horn relay is rated for 10A then might be a simpler install to just use the OE relay.

geo
Will not work. If you hold the horn down for a burst ie 3-4 seconds you will blow the fuse. Which I think takes out a few other electronics in the car.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanx, Jamy....those two big red beasts look like they might need a lot more amps than the teeny OE horn. So the Hella kit must include a new (larger) fuse in addition to the new relay?

geo

Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geomarathoner
Thanx, Jamy....those two big red beasts look like they might need a lot more amps than the teeny OE horn. So the Hella kit must include a new (larger) fuse in addition to the new relay?

geo
Actually it doesnt. I ended up with an inline fuse Holder from autozone and running power from the battery with a 20 amp fuse. No problems yet and I've blasted it for at least 10 seconds once.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a 125 Db this w.e. and plan on adding it to the OEM horn.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
did you run power directly to the battery?
Yes, from the relay to the battery.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
I read all your horn mods with great interest.

Wondering how loud can our horns go until it caught the cop's attention... meaning are there any motor vehicle laws that anyone know of that may set a db limit on the loudness of horns on the road?
I don't believe, well, have never hear of a law that puts a db limit on a horn output. As used in a motor vehicle, it's a safety device, which in and of itself puts it in direct conflict with a db limit.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Those Hellas look nice, but has anyone looked at Fiamm Freeway Blasters? I put a pair on my bike (hi and lo tones), and they are quite loud. I might do the same for the car, when I get it.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Bracket setup for horn install

Very nice install of your Hellas, should get you the attention you deserve in tight situations!

Got a bracket question for you. I just got the Stebel air horn and plug 'n' play wiring harness kit for my '09 Fit. What type (if any) mounting bracket will be needed to hang it so it doesn't work loose?

I've removed the top cover before, by pulling out the pop-up button fasteners. I installed black mesh plastic screen to protect my A/C condenser from dings. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the air inlet diamond grille out, and didn't want to force it and break something. I couldn't tell what/where the fasteners/clips etc are. I've heard others are removing the whole front bumper to gain better access for things inside here. Kinda' not real sure about that, that could get complex. Might not look perfect if it won't fit tight going back on. Any advice ? Thanks!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned
Crap! Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. Just installed the accord horn tonight and was very underwelmed. No meep but no jolt either. Pretty weak. Oh well it only cost 10 bucks. Time to start shopping for the supertones. Those look killer.

I had a lady next to me and we were goin about 30 mph. Had the stock horn buried and she still plowed right into the side of the car.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I have a Stebel - no need to pull anything more than what you have. I took a short bar stock, drilled two holes and mounted it off the stock horn mounting point. Solid as a rock.

You say plug and play wiring? I needed to run a 20A fuse off the battery to a relay to power mine. Stock horn circuit trips the relay to blow the horn.

Stock horn circuit is 10A. Blew the fuse and it took out part of the cruise control when I tried using the stock horn circuit. Caution on bumping any fuse.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
[quote]
Originally Posted by Sacman
I used "Bad Boy" air horns because it is a nice compact single unit but still has 2 very loud horns.
I put in the same horn within a month of getting my Fit... saved my ass a couple of times from people who didn't look to see if I was there or not!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member

???? link.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
Got a bracket question for you. I just got the Stebel air horn and plug 'n' play wiring harness kit for my '09 Fit. What type (if any) mounting bracket will be needed to hang it so it doesn't work loose?

I've removed the top cover before, by pulling out the pop-up button fasteners. I installed black mesh plastic screen to protect my A/C condenser from dings. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the air inlet diamond grille out, and didn't want to force it and break something. I couldn't tell what/where the fasteners/clips etc are.
One of the pics I posted a while back shows the corner bracket I used (usually found with door/fence hdwr at Lowe's or Home Depot) to bolt to the Hella horn brackets. If you look close, you can see that I filed a notch in the end of each bracket, then drilled the mounting hole so that the bracket wedges up against the nut on the back of each horn when it's all cranked down. I could have used two bolts per arm to keep the brackets/horns from rotating but didn't want to drill more holes. The notch does the job. I drilled a 3rd hole at the corner and used the stock mounting bolt/location with a new star washer. It's solid. The Hella brackets are 2 steel strips, and torqued down so tight to the horn that there's no way they'd work loose.

You made it half way on the grill. After you take the top cover off, there's a couple things on the back of the grill. A screw in the top corner on each side, and a couple more button fasteners along the bottom edge. Then all you do is pull it straight out towards your knees since the bottom edge fit into a lip on the bumper.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244

???? link.
I'm not sure that I could see over those horns...

Quick Reply: Time for aftermarket horns???