2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Fit Recall, Lower Gas Mileage (MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
My mileage dropped from 38 mpg to 31-32 mpg after recall. It won't be easy to convince the dealer that the mileage drop was due to recall and that they would re-adjust the valves. I'm pissed.
That's a 20 percent drop in mpg. I would do a ecu reset and see what happens. knock retard could be the problem too. Here is info on valve adjustment, lots of good info but not exactly for the Fit. Honda Civic SOHC Valve Adjustment (includes VX) - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
My mileage dropped from 38 mpg to 31-32 mpg after recall. It won't be easy to convince the dealer that the mileage drop was due to recall and that they would re-adjust the valves. I'm pissed.
While it may not be honest, I'd make an mpg log that supports your observation. Either typed or hand-written. Take this back to the service adviser. My guess is they'll be happy to open it up and re-adjust the valves under warranty as long as it appears you know what you're talking about.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
While it may not be honest, I'd make an mpg log that supports your observation. Either typed or hand-written. Take this back to the service adviser. My guess is they'll be happy to open it up and re-adjust the valves under warranty as long as it appears you know what you're talking about.
Appalling suggestion... are you serious?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Appalling suggestion... are you serious?
quite. would you have the service adviser browbeat him into submission that he is only imagining MPG?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
32 mpg still falls into the Fits mpg advertising. Hotter temps require higher octane.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Lie to get your way... no, that's not in my book.

My thoughts on valve adjustment and MPG is that you're hardly going to see a difference - if any difference at all.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Reset the ecu first, check tire pressures.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Lie to get your way... no, that's not in my book.

My thoughts on valve adjustment and MPG is that you're hardly going to see a difference - if any difference at all.
Are you calling him a liar?

So Mahout and Polaski are wrong? I defer to your judgement.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
While it may not be honest, I'd make an mpg log that supports your observation.
Steve - I will let your statement speak for itself. Perhaps you feel it's fabricating the truth, to me it's a lie and a clear statement of your character, certainly after you dare mention two well respected members of this forum trying to support you own tom-foolery.

K_C_

EDIT: My apologies to Silver for getting caught in the middle of this. He knows, in no way do I consider him anything but honest and on point.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 07-19-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Steve - I will let your statement speak for itself. Perhaps you feel it's fabricating the truth, to me it's a lie and a clear statement of your character, certainly after you dare mention two well respected members of this forum trying to support you own tom-foolery.

K_C_
You're right. I was wrong to suggest this. Anyone making claims of MPG should have actual logs to back them up.

I'm sorry.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
If the valves are out of adjustment, they should sound like it. After the recall, mine had a very noticeable tick-tick-tick that wasn't there before. I went back to the dealer, and they did the valve adjustment the next day with no questions asked. They said they'd had to do it on about a third of the Fits they'd had into the recall.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by huisj
If the valves are out of adjustment, they should sound like it. After the recall, mine had a very noticeable tick-tick-tick that wasn't there before. I went back to the dealer, and they did the valve adjustment the next day with no questions asked. They said they'd had to do it on about a third of the Fits they'd had into the recall.
Good point and it they were tight the car would run rough and stall. Carbon can be a problem and the valves would not close all the way.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I dropped off the Fit at the dealership. Still getting a consistent 28MPG (where as before I got 33MPG). The service center guy talked about gas, ethanol, etc. Which I might believe except that before I brought it in to them (for the recall), the car was getting above 30 regardless of what kind of gas I put in it, how long or short I drove. The fact that it won't reach 30 now, even at consistent high way speeds is just odd. Something is wrong with it, but I don't know what.

Anyway, they're gonna top the gas off and do a test drive to see how much MPG they can get. *sighs* I hope they DO see what I'm talking about, and can figure out what's causing the MPG to be so much lower than before.

They'll only do a valve readjustment if they think it's related to the MPG drop after they test drive it. I'll find out what they say tomorrow!

Last edited by draw2much; 08-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Well..............................

They said it was getting 40MPG. How a Fit automatic is getting 40MPG, I can't even begin to guess. I'm not even sure if that's possible. o_0

So. I dunno. I'm really just baffled. I KNOW I'm not getting as much MPG when I have to refill the tank at 260 instead of 300 miles. But I don't know how to prove it to the dealership when they say it's somehow getting a magical 40MPG.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
dealer tried to do this to me, i just went to a new dealer. some people at the dealer just dont want to do it, so i dont want those people working on my car. id work on my car but i have a bad shoulder and to tear into the valvetrain with one arm that isnt even you best hand ( im right handed and got a bad right shoulder) i just dont feel comfortable doing the job myself. so i find a good tech. at a dealer and watch him do the work. just a thought

Old 08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by huisj

after mine they claimed "new springs are noisier", but i dont think thats it, however i do have a slight tick now and when i try to listen to it, it sounds like it comes from the intake valves, or the injectors (noise comes from that area but idk where). did the adjustment get read of the tick?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by draw2much
Well..............................

They said it was getting 40MPG. How a Fit automatic is getting 40MPG, I can't even begin to guess. I'm not even sure if that's possible. o_0

So. I dunno. I'm really just baffled. I KNOW I'm not getting as much MPG when I have to refill the tank at 260 instead of 300 miles. But I don't know how to prove it to the dealership when they say it's somehow getting a magical 40MPG.

On fairly level ground interstates automatics get better than the manuals, about 42 to 36 mpg based on our trips with Fits, thanks to much better gearing. But in town the manuals do better, 30 to 28, and with A/C on full blast in high humidy subtract 2-3 mpg either way. Even hybrids take a beating by 5 mpg !.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Edited and Updated:

Back from the dealership. They innocently claim there was nothing at all wrong with the car, it drove just fine and got outstanding gas mileage. When I got back the Avg MPG display was showing a whopping 36MPG. (Though the Service Center guy claimed it got 40MPG.)

Before sending it in, it wouldn't budge over 28MPG (the display I mean). And before that, the car never showed over 34MPG (not even on the highway long trip to FL).

I know they did something to my car. They might have just messed with the electronic stuff, to make the car look like it's performing better on the displays. Or--and I hope this is the case--maybe showing the information more accurately. They did something though, even if they aren't owning up to it.

So. I'm going to drive it around for a few months, keep all the receipts when I refill it and write down how many miles between each refill. This is what I was doing anyway. If I'm getting the same low mileage, I'll go back with all my receipts and demand someone figure out what's going on.

If I suddenly am getting better MPG than ever before... well.. I'll have to conclude a Honda Dealership Mechanic waved his fairy wand over my engine and fixed it. o_0;

Last edited by draw2much; 08-10-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
the moment you get in the car, look at the trip miles and the economy. That will show you what they got for economy. If the computer says 30 miles traveled and 40mpg, that's what they got. You can't trick the trip computer other than finding a nice long downhill and freewheeling it all the way down, then finding a much more moderate return home.

100F temps will require you to use A/C so there's 3-4mpg right there.

As for keeping track of the fuel economy, if you have a smartphone, download one of the free apps for tracking fuel. I use "My Cars" on my android phone and it works great. If not, a pad and paper works great. Use an Excel sheet to keep track. (I have an excel sheet attached to my "1 yr and 38mpg" post from just about 1 year ago that anyone is free to download/use)

~SB

Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks specboy.

I don't know what all the displays are called on the Fit, lol. But I think the TRIP is the thing that you can reset and it shows you how many miles you've driven right? That's what I've always used to calculate my miles. I stopped paying attention to the Avg MPG display when I realized it was completely inaccurate. (I only mention it above because of the startling difference from before and after.)

I guess it could be the AC. Though in Texas there are always a few... several... a lot... of the months out of the year that are just really REALLY hot. I didn't have a problem last year, though admittedly we weren't in a drought with 105+ every day. (We still got 105+ before, mind you, just not for months without rain.)

This is why I'm kinda confused. The recall and the drought are the only two things that changed since last year. Since I can't make it rain (I wish I could though!) I decided to try the dealership first. Just to make sure.

I'll be keeping track of our MPG from now on though. I'll use the low-tech option of pencil and paper. lol....

Quick Reply: The Fit Recall, Lower Gas Mileage (MPG)