2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Fit Recall, Lower Gas Mileage (MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by draw2much
phasfit, Please don't laugh... but where IS the intake for the air filter? If you can link to a picture or something that would really be best. ^^;;
Sorry to intercept. The intake is behind the battery. It's an odd shaped horn extending to the right of the air-cleaner housing.

I'm also well past the 20K mark. I go from North Texas to the middle of Florida at least once a year. Which is why I have a very very good idea what my standard highway and mixed mileage should be.

I guess it could be the heat. Admittedly I got the car checked out at the beginning of spring. Shortly there after we went into severe drought conditions for our area. We've been constantly breaking records with our high temps (105-109), we get heat warnings at least once a week. I've had our AC set to 2 at minimum, because the Fit's AC is not really that strong. (I love my Fit but it does take a while to cool down!)

I assumed it was the dealership because it was immediately after that, that our MPG dropped. My husband was the first to notice, since we took a Dallas trip shortly after. We had to fill up twice instead of the usual one time and he said it didn't seem as "peppy" on the highway (a very long windy, slightly hilly, stretch of road).

I didn't notice anything different though. And I'm usually the one who DOES notice. (as I drive the car more than he does.) Which is why I didn't mention it to begin with.

They didn't reset the MPG "automatic" calculator thing. It's still off by 2. Even then, it's still showing a drop in MPG. Haven't gotten over 30 (which is actually 28) since I got the car back.

I like calculating it manually, just for fun. So I know I never got lower than 300 miles per fill up, unless I was stuck doing stop-and-go traffic through the whole tank. Even then it would only drop to about 290. :-/
Except for the additional load the A/C puts on the engine, heat shouldn't affect mpg. It might reduce maximum power a bit but I doubt it's noticeable.

Debris in the intake might reduce power, but would not affect mpg.

I lean towards polaski's comment about valve clearance. This is something Honda had to adjust after replacing the valve springs.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I lean towards polaski's comment about valve clearance. This is something Honda had to adjust after replacing the valve springs.
So when I call my Honda Dealership (because I don't wanna be paying more for gas than I have been, ya know?) what exactly should I tell them to check?

Valve Clearance?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Tell them since having the recall done you've gotten less mpg. It'll help if you can show a log (just type something up that looks good).

If they need a hint, you could say you heard that out-of-adjustment valves could cause this, and that you understand the valves would have been adjusted during the recall work.

A 2mpg variance isn't a lot though. I get that from tank to tank with one or two slow side trips.

Take it on the highway for an hour, 30 miles each way. At 60mph you should be able to get in the mid to high 30s. Check your tire pressure in the morning first (cold it should be 33psi).

Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty good manual. It may have some bias as it's paid for by ethanol producers, but I don't see any.

Here's an excerpt from page 4:

Gasoline is a mixture of numerous chemicals that have different heats of combustion; the selection of which can and does alter the BTU per pound as well as the octane rating. In general, the components of high test gasoline have some components with higher heats of combustion from which both power, octane rating, and mpg result. Toluene is a good example. When gasoline is enriched with toluene power, octane rating, and mpg are improved as we can attest from multiple dynomometer trials as well as race track lap times.
It doesn't have to be different but often is. Many refiners produce 87 and 91 octane gasoline with differing heats of combustion simply because the crude feedstock processes differently.
Your reference doesn't appear to have much experience with gasoline testing at refiners nor in the lab. And if it is from ethanol laced fuel suppliers they have a definite intention to avoid the difference in heats of combustion between straight gasoline and ethanol laced gasoline for it clearly shows gasoline much better power and mpg results.
Its a similar situation with comparisons of synthetic lubricants compared to parafin and napthene based lubricants.

Last edited by mahout; 07-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Your reference doesn't appear to have much experience with gasoline testing at refiners nor in the lab. And if it is from ethanol laced fuel suppliers they have a definite intention to avoid the difference in heats of combustion between straight gasoline and ethanol laced gasoline for it clearly shows gasoline much better power and mpg results.
Its a similar situation with comparisons of synthetic lubricants compared to parafin and napthene based lubricants.
My reference? No that's SilverBullet's reference. I just enjoy quoting parts of it to him.

Here's the site if you're interested.

I agree, some premium blends will have greater BTU content. But some won't. It's not a function of octane.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
A while back I sent my '09 Fit (Auto) to the dealer after receiving a recall notice in the mail. (Possible Spring Assembly Failure recall.) I didn't think much of it until I started driving and saw my MPG take a serious nose drive. (I've been keeping track of my miles-per-tank almost obsessively since I bought this car in late 2009, so I'm pretty familiar with it's "mileage habits".)

Before I went to the dealer I was getting a solid 300 miles per 9-10 gallons.

After the dealer I'm getting about 260 per 9-10 gallons.

I haven't been driving differently or gone to places I don't normally go. Last year, from winter through summer, I got a solid 300 miles, even with mixed city/highway. Now straight highway driving doesn't seem to be improving my mileage. I'm stuck at about 260-270..

Is it possible that by fixing something from the recall they messed something else up? I'm somewhat mystified as to what they could have done to drop my MPG so badly. I suppose I ought to contact my dealership and see if they can fix it, right? What do you guys think?

One strange cause of reduction in miles per tankful is a fuel tank float either by absorbtion or puncture not rising with the fuel level. That causes the float to 'bottom out' sooner than usual and thus less miles per tankful. We've seen this only a couple of times in 50 years, and once it was due to something in the gas tank weighing down the float.
You might try checking the fuel gage as the tank is slowly filled to see if it registersfull and you still put a gallon or two more without overfilling.

Another possibility is the use of lower combustion energy fuel; that happens with ethanol laced gasoline. The heat of combustion for ethanol is considerably less than gasoline and often results in a drop of 10% in mpg.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
A 2mpg variance isn't a lot though. I get that from tank to tank with one or two slow side trips.
Actually, it's more like 3 MPG, since I went from a stead 33-34MPG to a steady 28-29MPG.

I went from mid-30s to upper-20s. I guess that doesn't seem like a lot looked at that way, but it makes a difference at the gas pump. (I travel around quite a bit due to my job so I noticed when my mileage-per-tank dropped by about 20-30 miles).

The highest I've gotten, even on a straight highway drive, is 30MPG. I haven't been able to get over that. Makes me wanna cry considering how I was getting almost 35MPG before on straight highway runs.

Also, unless the gas formula has changed since spring of this year, I'm not sure why that would be affecting my car. I've used the cheap gas and the expensive gas in my area, and it never made any difference before... o_0

Thank you everyone for your advice! I will use what you've given me to see if I can get my Fit back up to old MPG standards!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Another possibility is the use of lower combustion energy fuel; that happens with ethanol laced gasoline. The heat of combustion for ethanol is considerably less than gasoline and often results in a drop of 10% in mpg.
I noticed in the Metro Atlanta area (one of the EPA's problem children) my MPG spikes in the early spring before needing to use the A/C. A pet theory I have is between the winter and summer blends there's a couple weeks where Atlanta gets the good stuff. It goes from about 34MPG to 38MPG. But then it goes back about the time A/C becomes important.

Anyway your explanation works*. Maybe they started using ethanol this year and didn't in prior years in the OP's burg.

*edit: except what accounts for a 10% drop? Even if ethanol were 10% it'd have to have zero energy content to affect MPG by 10%. Shrug. But my mpg does spike about 10% in early spring...

Last edited by Steve244; 07-13-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Hm, I'm pretty sure they've used an Ethanol mix since I've moved here. I thought it was 10% actually, though I could be wrong.

You're right though, they could have very well changed the formula without letting anyone know about it.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
I agree, some premium blends will have greater BTU content. But some won't. It's not a function of octane.

The blend itself will affect both energy and octane rating. Just adding toluene to any gasoline will boost both octane and btu per pound and there are other compounds as well. Mostly it is easier to add anti-knock compounds which may even reduce energy. When your processing has a hundred different compounds to chose based on the crude analyses there will be considerable variances in 'standard' fuel formulations.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
The blend itself will affect both energy and octane rating. Just adding toluene to any gasoline will boost both octane and btu per pound and there are other compounds as well. Mostly it is easier to add anti-knock compounds which may even reduce energy. When your processing has a hundred different compounds to chose based on the crude analyses there will be considerable variances in 'standard' fuel formulations.
I'd say we're in complete agreement.

Edit: I think I see where we're divergent. My earlier post should have said "...not a function of octane rating." Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by Steve244; 07-14-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
I have an 09 and must admit --- mileage has been way up - could be the summer months and my driving style has changed typically at 5.1L /100kms mixed driving 5speed

Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vickenp
I have an 09 and must admit --- mileage has been way up - could be the summer months and my driving style has changed typically at 5.1L /100kms mixed driving 5speed
uh, that's 46MPG....

Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
This is a little off topic sorry but related to recall...

I have an aftermarket SRI installed, has anyone dropped their Fit at the dealer for recall work with the engine mod(s) in place? Did they hassle you?

I have the stock airbox but its a royal pain to reinstall. Just wondering if I should put it on to avoid any hassle.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
'09 Fit Sport - same mileage drop

My 2009 Fit Sport has exhibited the same drop to about 26mpg since the lost motion spring repair recall. The mileage dropped immediately from about 33mpg in mixed driving to about 28mpg. It has now, 2 months later, dropped to 26mpg on the latest tank of gas. I have checked tire pressure, and inspected the engine for common problems such as loose vacuum lines. The car is not reporting any diagnostic codes, but is idling slightly rough.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 PM
pdwoody, So I'm not the only one? I'm sorry for you, but I'm glad I'm not alone!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pdwoody
My 2009 Fit Sport has exhibited the same drop to about 26mpg since the lost motion spring repair recall. The mileage dropped immediately from about 33mpg in mixed driving to about 28mpg. It has now, 2 months later, dropped to 26mpg on the latest tank of gas. I have checked tire pressure, and inspected the engine for common problems such as loose vacuum lines. The car is not reporting any diagnostic codes, but is idling slightly rough.

Rough idle and poor mpg can easily be result of valve(s) set too tight. Suggest you have valves reset and perform the idle speed re'learning ECU program. Make sure engine is cool when setting the valve clearances.
Who's gas are you using?

Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Rough idle and poor mpg can easily be result of valve(s) set too tight. Suggest you have valves reset and perform the idle speed re'learning ECU program. Make sure engine is cool when setting the valve clearances.
Who's gas are you using?
Rough idle is caused by carbon buildup too. Carbon causes the valves to stick.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
My mileage dropped from 38 mpg to 31-32 mpg after recall. It won't be easy to convince the dealer that the mileage drop was due to recall and that they would re-adjust the valves. I'm pissed.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 AM
I returned today from a 4 day trip, 75% Interstate, got home with 37 mpg....same as it was before the recall. I would not be happy if it had gone down.......

Quick Reply: The Fit Recall, Lower Gas Mileage (MPG)