2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Good Idea or Bad Idea to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Good Idea or Bad Idea to Buy?

I found a used 2010 GE8 Sport in Taffeta White and am hoping for some feedback on whether to proceed with purchasing a car. This is a private party sale and was originally under the impression that the car had 37k'ish miles, but now found out it's closer to 45k miles. It has an automatic transmission and a Garmin navi included. The front bumper is going to be repainted to take care of rock chips and make the car like new. The selling price is $15k.

I know some parts of the country the Fit sells for lower prices, so just to note, this is in the Southwest.

Should I buy it or continue searching? Thoughts?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Does it documentation of maintenance done? That's not a horrid price right now, though that is a lot of miles for 2010.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
He has all documentation and has had the 30k miles service done with tranny fluid change, oil, air filter, etc.

It seems like a fair price, I guess my concern is what happens when the Fit prices soften up a bit and I have one of the higher mileage ones. Granted I won't drive nearly as many miles per year (probably 10k-12k), but still will be at 100k within the next 5 years at my pace of driving.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
I guess you already know that edmunds appraises it for about $14,100 in clean condition through a private party sale in the Vegas area. They show a $1500 deduction for high mileage. But with the shortage of fits right now, $15,000 may be a fair current private party price in spite of what Edmunds says. You probably could wait a few months and get a better deal.

45K puts it outside of the bumper to bumper warranty. Drive train is 5years/60K though.

Might want to look at some other makes if you need a car right away. Or offer $14,100 if you really like it...

Last edited by Steve244; 06-20-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Edmunds showed used car values. KBB and Edmunds show way different figures. Go figure. :P

My car will be sold this Friday and while I work with my brother and can hitch rides, I need a car by August since I'm in grad school and the semester will start again.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
The other option is to buy a 2010 automatic sport in Taffeta White with navigation and only 17k miles for $17k. It's higher than I wanted to pay for a Fit, but probably will hold it's value a little longer. It also has a Honda extended warranty.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Edmunds showed used car values. KBB and Edmunds show way different figures. Go figure. :P

My car will be sold this Friday and while I work with my brother and can hitch rides, I need a car by August since I'm in grad school and the semester will start again.
I'd think about getting a new one. Maybe a Base Fit? These guys have some:
Desert Honda.

If you're financing, you can probably get a better interest rate on a new car than used. Shop for loans; you might end up with the same payment for the same length of time as buying a 45K mile used Fit.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM
The reason I'm avoiding a new one is that buying private party in Nevada means that you don't pay sales tax. I really am only interested in a Sport as I like the way they look much better.

I can get an interest rate of 3.49 through my credit union on a used Fit, so that's not an issue as well.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
The other option is to buy a 2010 automatic sport in Taffeta White with navigation and only 17k miles for $17k. It's higher than I wanted to pay for a Fit, but probably will hold it's value a little longer. It also has a Honda extended warranty.
uh, Kelley shows that for $19,400 good condition/private seller. Is that factory navigation? Does it have a clean carfax? Much better deal I think. Didn't consider the sales tax angle.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Showroom condition with OEM navigation. Clean carfax with no accidents.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Showroom condition with OEM navigation. Clean carfax with no accidents.

sigh... I'd go for the 17K (mileage and price) car. 45K is a lot of miles to be paying (almost) new car prices. And if KBB is to be believed it's a killer deal. navigation is pricey (too pricey) but there ya go...

Have a Honda dealer look at it and give their opinion. Lots of times repairs don't show up on Carfax. Or look for signs of respray, replacement parts (the part number stickers aren't on aftermarket parts like hoods, bumper covers, doors, etc.)

edit: edmunds appraises it at $17,200. KBB seems bonkers, or it really is a killer deal. But it's a much better price than $15K for a 45K mile car.

Last edited by Steve244; 06-20-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
45K is a lot of miles to be paying (almost) new car prices.
i had the same reaction.

i've been averaging roughly 30 miles per day for over 2 1/2 years.... and that still only adds up to 30,700 miles.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
I found a used 2010 GE8 Sport in Taffeta White and am hoping for some feedback on whether to proceed with purchasing a car. This is a private party sale and was originally under the impression that the car had 37k'ish miles, but now found out it's closer to 45k miles. It has an automatic transmission and a Garmin navi included. The front bumper is going to be repainted to take care of rock chips and make the car like new. The selling price is $15k.

I know some parts of the country the Fit sells for lower prices, so just to note, this is in the Southwest.

Do a CARFAX on the car and check a dealer for warranty and sevice information on the serial number. Honda does file service reports thgo some dealers won't share that info..
You particularly want to know if it was in a wreck. CarFax can be a good source but not absolutely reliable unless it says wreck involved. Your local PD can possibly help by checking for a wreck report.
$15 k for a used 2010 model with 45k miles sounds a little high. I would expect the price to be $14k even with the nav.(Hondas or aftermarket? come with lifetime updates?)
Did you check the NADA, black book, and Kelly blue book for their indicated retail and wholesale values? They will be for your area.
If you buying w/o trade-in, as expected, a price halfway between wholesale and retail is a fair price for a no trade-in private deal on a no problem Fit..
good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 06-20-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sounds a little high to me also. I would have it checked over by an independent mechanic before I jumped into the deal. Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
Sounds a little high to me also. I would have it checked over by an independent mechanic before I jumped into the deal. Let us know what you decide to do.

Agreed. But one you or others recommend.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM
I know you want to avoid new, but here in Ohio the dealer I got my fit from has an 11, brand new for $17,100. Seeing how they came down on my 2010 fit, I'd think they could on the 11, at least when fits aren't in short supply any more.
Now is a hard time to buy a fit, might be better to wait...

Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
I personally feel that's too many miles for the price.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM

Considering the price, mileage and how long it would take me to put on 45k miles I would opt for new and not worry about what a used one has been through.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 AM
WAIT! Don't buy!

I've never seen the used car market priced so horribly. I suspect it's a backlash from Cash for Clunkers, where dealers crushed hundreds of thousands of used cars, driving up the price of everything else. Add in the earthquake. Yup.

I'm personally waiting until October. I think pricing of new Fit(s) will return to sanity by then.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Let me try a slightly different angle.

If your not rushed...I'm going to say don't buy. Not because I think it's potentially a horrendous deal...because at this time, it might not be...(sounds a little high to me)...But more because...

The way I look at it? Your spending 15000+ of your hard earned money. I think a car purchase, under most circumstances should be something that at least initially, right out of the gate..you feel good about.

If you have any trepidation or doubts? Why risk it? Just keep looking, set parameters for what you are looking for and willing to accept, and just wait until you find a deal that matches your desires.

I'm just afraid that if you are asking today, Is this a good deal? And voicing concerns that you think you are paying too much...or not really getting the situation you want..then "if" any adversity should develop...you'll never feel good about the purchase.

That in of itself is reason for me to say pass.

I'd say no car purchase is without a degree of sacrifice and risk...but at least at the start? You should be dealing with a situation you feel good about.

Quick Reply: Good Idea or Bad Idea to Buy?