2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CV joint going at 15k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
CV joint going at 15k miles?

So I noticed it last night coming home from work and it didn't really register in my brain what it was so I just turned the music back up and ignored it. Then I noticed it this morning on my way to class and it hit me. Clicking when turning! Outer CV joint.... But at 15k miles that just doesnt make sense. I drive hard sometimes but it's not a track car or anything being beat up all the time. Any body have any suggestions on what it might be besides that? Appointment at Honda on Monday since they were busy as crap today. Hopefully it's under the warranty.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
if the boot is torn at all then i wouldn't doubt that it could go bad at 15k. but there will be evidence if that's the case. any grease inside your wheels?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
if the boot is torn at all then i wouldn't doubt that it could go bad at 15k. but there will be evidence if that's the case. any grease inside your wheels?
Still on stock steelies so I can't see in there. About to go take the driver side off and see what it looks like. I couldn't really see anything when I cut the wheel all the way to both sides so I'm just gonna pull it off and take a look.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
So I noticed it last night coming home from work and it didn't really register in my brain what it was so I just turned the music back up and ignored it. Then I noticed it this morning on my way to class and it hit me. Clicking when turning! Outer CV joint.... But at 15k miles that just doesnt make sense. I drive hard sometimes but it's not a track car or anything being beat up all the time. Any body have any suggestions on what it might be besides that? Appointment at Honda on Monday since they were busy as crap today. Hopefully it's under the warranty.
You should be covered.

What is not covered by Honda Care & what is covered.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Thats definately premature. Even with lowered cars, I have always got over 100k on CV axles.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
Thats definately premature. Even with lowered cars, I have always got over 100k on CV axles.
Yeah and I'm bone stock when it comes to suspension.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Check the lug nuts first. Once I had what I thought was a CV joint clicking but it turned out that the lug nuts on one side were loose.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Check the lug nuts first. Once I had what I thought was a CV joint clicking but it turned out that the lug nuts on one side were loose.
Checked the driver sided where the noise is the loudest. The lugs were torqued so much that I couldnt break em with the tire iron and a foot long cheater bar. And I'm a pretty muscular guy. Then I have a huge compressor at this house but mine impact drills and everything are at the other house almost an hour away and I don't have time to go there before my appointment on monday. I'll check the passenger side after work tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
So not a cv joint like I was thinking. Apparently the engine was burning oil and was low and wasn't throwing an oil light until it got to the dealership. Possibly thrown bearing Or may have damaged the crank. They are pulling it and tearing it down now. Hopefully know sometime tonight or tomorrow morning. Everything should be under warranty so I'm happy about that. Just ready to get the ole' girl back on the road. Kinda sad

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
So not a cv joint like I was thinking. Apparently the engine was burning oil and was low and wasn't throwing an oil light until it got to the dealership. Possibly thrown bearing Or may have damaged the crank. They are pulling it and tearing it down now. Hopefully know sometime tonight or tomorrow morning. Everything should be under warranty so I'm happy about that. Just ready to get the ole' girl back on the road. Kinda sad

sigh... between you and this guy (his had many more miles) I'm spooked into checking the oil level every fill-up (was doing it every 3 or 4 fills).

My guess is on yours, low miles, recent documented oil change, is going to make the difference on being covered under the warranty. good luck...

Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
sigh... between you and this guy (his had many more miles) I'm spooked into checking the oil level every fill-up (was doing it every 3 or 4 fills).

My guess is on yours, low miles, recent documented oil change, is going to make the difference on being covered under the warranty. good luck...
My service guy has pretty much assured me it will be under warranty. I kinda want to be there helping the tech with it.

I will definitely be checking it at least once a week now though.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
My service guy has pretty much assured me it will be under warranty. I kinda want to be there helping the tech with it.

I will definitely be checking it at least once a week now though.
Just curious:

When was the last oil change? Who did it?

Did you ever notice it using oil (had to add any between changes)?

When did you last check the oil level?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Just curious:

When was the last oil change? Who did it?

Did you ever notice it using oil (had to add any between changes)?

When did you last check the oil level?
Last oil change was 8k miles ago and I had it done by the dealership here since a friend of mine works there. I never noticed it using oil and everything seemed fine until Saturday the light would blink on under extremely heavy braking, but stay off under normal circumstance. Dip stick appeared fine that night. Then today they said it was extremely low and the light was popping on and off randomly. There was oil residue in the tail pipe too which explains why I never noticed it leaking. Hopefully will know more by tonight. Just a warning if you ever have someone change your oil(dealer or what ever) check it yourself too. I know too many people where oil wasn't out in the car, oil plug wasnt out back in, Dip stick not fully inserted, etc. Now I go check it before I drive off the lot. Better to appear an ass than to be sorry.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
so between approximately 6/17 and today some catastrophic failure occurred. Interested to know what they find. Doesn't sound like weekly oil level checks would have caught this.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I heard the clicking on 6/17. Between then and today it ate whatever oil I had left above the minimum level before the light comes on. If that makes any sense. I'm really wondering what the heck happened. No one at the dealership had ever heard of anything like that happening.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Ok. I've just been told that the block is toast. They can't figure out what to do because the service manager is on vacation. I'm a little livid over the whole thing. Waiting on a connection of mine to figure out wtf is going on since the service guy that I thought was going to be good isn't being as good as I was expecting.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Ok. I've just been told that the block is toast. They can't figure out what to do because the service manager is on vacation. I'm a little livid over the whole thing. Waiting on a connection of mine to figure out wtf is going on since the service guy that I thought was going to be good isn't being as good as I was expecting.
Ask to speak to the general manager for the dealership. Keep cool. If they drag their feet then contact Honda customer service.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Ask to speak to the general manager for the dealership. Keep cool. If they drag their feet then contact Honda customer service.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
I know too many people where oil wasn't out in the car, oil plug wasnt out back in, Dip stick not fully inserted, etc. Now I go check it before I drive off the lot. Better to appear an ass than to be sorry.
Since when does it "appear to be an ass" when checking if a job is done properly? It's your car! Take responsibility and check things often (especially oil).

Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
All four bearings are gone is what I'm being told. They are going to replace the entire block and get everything fixed under warranty. I should be able to get my loaner tomorrow around 7 am so I won't have to miss class or work. Gah what a mess. I swear. Every other time I get gas I'm checking the oil. Anyone know how long it may take for them to get it done? I'm hoping I have my car by the end of the week but if it's free I can't complain I guess, right?

Quick Reply: CV joint going at 15k miles?