2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

3.8 Qts. but why dipstick shows Low Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Oil expands when it's warm. Check it then and it should read slightly higher...maybe even 1/4 qt on the stick...

Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Nukedog
Oil expands when it's warm. Check it then and it should read slightly higher...maybe even 1/4 qt on the stick...
Good point, Nukedog. thank you.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xyz888call
Thanks again SilverBullet,

I get a discount at Honda so paid just $3/qt. for Honda 5w20 Synthetic Blend. After this first change, I do plan to start using just Penzoil Ultra 5w20 & a good filter every 7K mile interval.

Just stick with Honda 5w20 Synthetic Blend, its all you need for a clean running motor at 7500 mile oil change.

http://www.noln.net/surveys/2010/201..._Motor_Oil.pdf

Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Did you put the Fit on a ramp when you drained the old oil out? The extra incline will drain more oil than when the car sits on flat ground.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I do believe you've solved this mystery. Thank you very much. Yes, the front tires were both up on a ramps. This likely caused more oil to pour out.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Just stick with Honda 5w20 Synthetic Blend, its all you need for a clean running motor at 7500 mile oil change.

http://www.noln.net/surveys/2010/201..._Motor_Oil.pdf
That makes good economical sense...since I plan to change oil every 6-7k miles w a good filter.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno... I was always under the impression that, so long as the oil level is far above the lower point, but still under the upper point, it's fine.

Never under the impression that it had to be AT the upper point, whether the engine was hot or cold.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I dunno... I was always under the impression that, so long as the oil level is far above the lower point, but still under the upper point, it's fine.

Never under the impression that it had to be AT the upper point, whether the engine was hot or cold.
Correct you are. When I do my oil changes and put in a measured 3.8 quarts it goes to about 90% of the full mark (after running the engine to warn the oil). I usually add a little more to reach the full mark, but it's not necessary to do so.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Don't most just put 4 quarts in?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

yea, a car is not microsurgery.

Consider that your car actually moves around as well as goes up and down hills. What does that do to your precision oil levels? The stuff splashes around all over the place, as long as you have oil, it's going to be OK. If you're a bit low, your engine isn't going to blow up, if you're a bit high, you're not instantly going to turn your oil into a milkshake.

Think of it like a swimming pool, if you're 1inch down from the regular pool level, it's still pretty much a swimming pool.

There are many other maintenance variables that arguably effect the car in greater ways, but anything oil-maintenance related seems to touch people in a special OCD way.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-16-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by angryfit
just food for thought. Honda says burning one quart of oil per 1000 miles is acceptable.... that's within specs. I about died when I heard that from my dealership.. they crazy
1QT is too much, but Honda's burn more oil when the valves need to be adjusted. There is a lot of oil pressure to the top and lubricate the rocker arm assembly. Oil gets by the valve seals due to vibration. This is another reason Honda does not recommend synthetics.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
1QT is too much, but Honda's burn more oil when the valves need to be adjusted. There is a lot of oil pressure to the top and lubricate the rocker arm assembly. Oil gets by the valve seals due to vibration. This is another reason Honda does not recommend synthetics.
Where in the world do you get your information?

Per the owners manual (2009 page 254)

Synthetic Oil
You may use a synthetic motor oil if
it meets the same requirements
given for a conventional motor oil, it
displays the API Certification Seal,
and it is the proper weight. You must
follow the oil and filter change
intervals shown on the information
display.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Where in the world do you get your information?

Per the owners manual (2009 page 254)
Most conventional oil is semi synthetic anyways, but my experiences is that fuel mpg drops and no real advantage unless you have a turbo, supercharged and or extreme towing and even then not necessary. Shell rotella is a heavy duty Group II oil. Filtering and having a oil cooler is more important but not necessary in a Honda because of the high oil pressures. You still have to change it at 7500-10000miles Which Conventional oil is good for. True synthetics like Red line are good for 25000 mile with filter changes.

See how the tables has turned. Something like oil is more important to you than Premium Gasoline that is used by the gallon. If you followed your own advise you would use synthetics and premium.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 06-16-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Most conventional oil is semi synthetic anyways, but my experiences is that fuel mpg drops and no real advantage unless you have a turbo, supercharged and or extreme towing and even then not necessary. Shell rotella is a heavy duty Group II oil. Filtering and having a oil cooler is more important but not necessary in a Honda because of the high oil pressures.

See how the tables has turned. Something like oil is more important to you than Premium Gasoline that is used by the gallon. If you followed your own advise you would use synthetics and premium.
I thought you were saying Honda specifically "does not recommend" synthetic oil. There's nothing wrong with using synthetic. I think you made up the bit about "getting by the valve seals due to vibration."

Some manufacturers require synthetic oil (see GM LNF turbo for one).

That said I don't use synthetic in anything except a turbo LNF. I think it's a waste of money where it's not required (same as premium fuel).

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I thought you were saying Honda specifically "does not recommend" synthetic oil. There's nothing wrong with using synthetic. I think you made up the bit about "getting by the valve seals due to vibration."

Some manufacturers require synthetic oil (see GM LNF turbo for one).

That said I don't use synthetic in anything except a turbo LNF. I think it's a waste of money where it's not required (same as premium fuel).
Your right that some cars come with synthetics Turbos, High end cars. I agree that synthetics are better but not necessary. The statement about oil leaks when the valves needs to be adjusted is a known fact with Honda tuners but that is when they are loose. http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082007_09.pdf

I just talked to a Toyota service writer and he said if your going to use synthetics to use them from the beginning. But Toyota recommend 5000 miles with Conventional. POAs swell seals and ester contract seals so its a balance. I am looking for info to post.

UPDATE http://www.le-international.com/uplo...e%20Stocks.pdf,

Ow20 gain is .5 percent but used in millions of cars it save hundreds of millions in fuel.

The mpg loss from synthesis is 5w20 and is because it cools the cylinders and the fuel doesn't not vaporize completely causing it to run rich and lowering mpg put power is up. On my Fit Ive seen this with the scan gauge running 170 degree coolant temps compared to 180-185 normal.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 06-16-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I just did the first oil change (Honda Synth Blend 5w20 & Fram Xtra Guard Filter). I refilled with 3.8 quarts as indicated in the manual with oil filter replacement. BUT, why does my dipstick indicated I am about 1/4 to 1/3 quarts low?

Thank you for your advice.

2010 Fit Sport, Automatic.
I did my first oil change myself and it took exactly 3.8 quarts of oil!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Are there any pure dino 0w-20 Oils?
Aren't all 0-20 oils primarily synthetic or synthetic blends.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
I did my first oil change myself and it took exactly 3.8 quarts of oil!
Was your fit sitting on level ground or up on a jack or ramps when draining?
Did dipstick show oil level right at the full level, or a few millimeters under that?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
Was your fit sitting on level ground or up on a jack or ramps when draining?
Did dipstick show oil level right at the full level, or a few millimeters under that?
Do you have OCD? Are you autistic (like my nephew)?

Is it really bothering you that much that it isn't AT the top mark?

Well, too bad.

Those dots are NOT accurate readings of ANY kind. They are simply a range the car can work. If it is close to the bottom, it means it'll work... assuming the car isn't leaking/burning oil. Cause once it does, then you'll be too low and more issues can pop up.

If it's close to the top... well, it means that you'll have time IN CASE it does start leaking/burning oil. You'll have time to notice it and deal with it as necessary.

It's not going to make a lick of difference if its AT the top dot, above or below it (unless it's FAR above or far below).

Next time... do this... measure the amount of oil you drained out. Then, pour that much new oil in.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
The statement about oil leaks when the valves needs to be adjusted is a known fact with Honda tuners but that is when they are loose. http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082007_09.pdf
Sorry, I took...

...to mean: Honda expressly does not recommend synthetics because oil gets by the valve seals due to vibration.

I'll be more careful.

P.S. The article you linked says nothing about valves allowing oil to pass if they are out of adjustment, on a Honda or any car. Nor does it say anything about synthetic oil.

Last edited by Steve244; 06-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.8 Qts. but why dipstick shows Low Oil?