2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

trailer hitch cheapest.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm not an expert, self proclaimed or otherwise. But you get 5 points on this one!

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)[1] is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.
The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 4,500 pounds (2,041 kg) might have a cargo capacity of 2,000 pounds (907 kg), meaning it can have a gross weight of 6,500 pounds (2,948 kg) when fully loaded.
Contents

[hide]
Source

Gross vehicle weight rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There must be another rating as the weight of the trailer must be figured into the braking equation.

There is also the GCWR, which looks like Honda may have set at zero!

Gross combined weight rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
JIm

Old 05-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Also remember trailers have a GVWR as well. You should find a sticker plate similar to your door jamb plate. Trailer GVWR minus trailer weight equals available load capacity. Don't overload your trailer regardless of vehicle used for towing.

If your trailer doesn't have a GVWR plate then it might be a homebuilt. Thoroughly inspect trailer build quality, construction, materials and load conservatively based on your best assesment. If unsure you could take it to a trailer shop for a second opinion.

_

Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Silverbullet, I do understand that the GVWR is with passengers,load,and tongue weight of the trailer combined. Maybe I didn't write it as some could understand in my original post. I agreed with a written section you posted,but If you read mine I mentioned trailer trailer brakes. My main concern is the braking,over the load handling{although very important}. I had a 2006 Rav 4 V-6 w/tow package,and even it required trailer brakes on any trailer over 1000lbs,yet it could tow 3500lbs. Also owned a Subaru Outback,same specs except it could tow 2700lbs. I am well aware your trailer load is under 1000lbs,but the Fit is not near as big of car. Honda says the Fit is not designed to tow,so they wouldn't mention that as a requirement. A trailer weight with no brakes added to the full weight capacity of a loaded Fit IS Dangerous. Also adding weight{even in spec} adds a whole other aspect to trailer towing driving that Honda says,NO to the FIT. Ever have trailer oscilation at speed ? You think all those specs all apply in the rain with no trailer brakes? Trailer side push in turns at speed is something the Fit suspension is not designed to handle due it it's light weight in the first place. Maybe you got very lucky so far. Maybe you didn't go highway speeds,or very far. Maybe someday you will find out what I am talking about ,I sure hope not. Don't try to influence others who can't read their manuals here, by your experience and say against all common sense and design that it can be SAFE.

BTW, when I bought the RAV 4 V-6 w/tow package the dam dealer told me I could tow 10,000lbs. NEVER EVER LISTEN TO A SALESMAN. READ THE MANUAL! THEY JUST WANT A SALE!!!!!

PaFitter

Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've installed a tow hitch on almost every car that I've ever owned and have never had an accident or transmission troubles. My rule of thumb is to never tow anything heavier than 1/3 of the weight of the car doing the towing. I broke that rule once when I towed a 1965 Plymouth Valiant (~2600 pounds) home on a rented tow dolly (unknown weight) with a 1990 Buick Park Avenue (3300 pounds) with a class 2 hitch. It was only about 30 miles, and I drove gently, giving myself plenty of room to stop.
My Fit pulls my 1977 Holsclaw dirt bike trailer, that I modified with decking into a general purpose garden trailer about 15 years ago. It weighs about 250 pounds, has a payload capacity of 700 pounds, and has an unloaded tongue weight of 20 pounds. It typically carries bicycles, mulch, furniture, light building supplies, a motorcycle, etc, never more than 500 Lbs. The Honda handles and stops fine.

Last edited by phogroian; 05-30-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added data