2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

[Wheel Locks for Base] Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 PM
[Wheel Locks for Base] Any recommendations?

I know a lot of guys have Sport here which have different wheels. So I was wondering what you might recommend for a Base model. I want to get some reliable wheel locks so nobody mess with my beautiful Fit!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Chasy Price
I know a lot of guys have Sport here which have different wheels. So I was wondering what you might recommend for a Base model. I want to get some reliable wheel locks so nobody mess with my beautiful Fit!
I believe the base model has steel wheels and hubcaps... I don't think you have to worry too much about them being stolen.

The thieves are usually after the alloy wheels on the Sport model.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Are locking lugs the same thing as wheel locks??

I heard you can buy something so people can't steal your car or something...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Not where I come from. Wheel locks are referred to as a steering wheel lock, like the Club

Locking lugs are usually a round lug nut that has the face of the lug nut cut into a certain pattern. A standard lug nut wrench can't grip on to it and turn it since it's round. They don't really "lock" in the sense of a door lock. The owner has a special lug nut wrench that fits the pattern on the face of the lug nut, thus they can turn it to remove the lug nut.

My fit came with 4 in a package. You only need one per wheel.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM

I thought wheel locks were mechanisms for firing certain types of muskets

Wheel lock - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Seriously though, pretty much every car guy I've talked to uses the term wheel lock interchangeably with locking lugs. Even Google uses the term that way:

wheel locks - Google Search=

Wheel locks can help prevent theft of your wheels but they are more of a deterrent than a guarantee. Any competent thief can take them off with the correct tools in a jiffy. They may be enough to encourage him to find an easier mark though so they're still worth using but if you want more insurance then use two or more different types of locking lugs per wheel. Locking lugs can only deter wheel theft though - not theft of your car itself.

Unless you've changed to aftermarket wheels I don't think you have much to worry about Chasy Price. Thieves don't really go after steelies - not much profit to be had and not worth the risk

When talking about anti-theft devices for steering wheels most everyone I know calls them "Clubs" even if they aren't that particular brand. Just like locking lugs they are also more of a deterrent than insurance and should be thought of with that in mind. Best thing to do if you don't want people to mess with your car is to park it inside somewhere secure. There is not ONE thing you can do that will definitely prevent a thief from jacking your car. The best defense is a set of deterrents - alarm system, Club, some sort of ignition bypass, guard dogs, land mines, etc. Well, you might not need quite ALL of that (I'd prefer just the mines myself but they're hard to move around to each parking spot) but you get the idea lol.

Last edited by gsx-r35; 05-25-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by gsx-r35
I thought wheel locks were mechanisms for firing certain types of muskets

Wheel lock - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Seriously though, pretty much every car guy I've talked to uses the term wheel lock interchangeably with locking lugs. Even Google uses the term that way:

wheel locks - Google Search=

Wheel locks can help prevent theft of your wheels but they are more of a deterrent than a guarantee. Any competent thief can take them off with the correct tools in a jiffy. They may be enough to encourage him to find an easier mark though so they're still worth using but if you want more insurance then use two or more different types of locking lugs per wheel. Locking lugs can only deter wheel theft though - not theft of your car itself.

Unless you've changed to aftermarket wheels I don't think you have much to worry about Chasy Price. Thieves don't really go after steelies - not much profit to be had and not worth the risk

When talking about anti-theft devices for steering wheels most everyone I know calls them "Clubs" even if they aren't that particular brand. Just like locking lugs they are also more of a deterrent than insurance and should be thought of with that in mind. Best thing to do if you don't want people to mess with your car is to park it inside somewhere secure. There is not ONE thing you can do that will definitely prevent a thief from jacking your car. The best defense is a set of deterrents - alarm system, Club, some sort of ignition bypass, guard dogs, land mines, etc. Well, you might not need quite ALL of that (I'd prefer just the mines myself but they're hard to move around to each parking spot) but you get the idea lol.

Very true.

I currently rent so no garage really to park in. I mean maybe I love my car too much but it just looks the best in the parking lot. So hopefully nobody will be stealing mine.

How do you get an alarm thing going for Base? I know the Sport model comes with one.

Maybe I should let my car collect dust and bugs for a while --- this way it looks less attractive and less prone to be messed with --- kind of like one of my girl friend's philosophy to find a not so good looking but with golden heart kind of guy so no other girls will mess with her man (I have to say she does know what she wants!!)

Haha joking. Or am I?