2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

[Deal or no Deal] Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by SickFit
Classic Honda.

You're welcome.

This is probably the dealer in Central Florida you guys talking about a couple post above.

* I live in Miami and drove to Orlando just to buy my Fit for the awesome savings. No one will go lower than Classic Honda.

Just read the post immediately above mine and this is the reason to no budging from the dealers to lower the price anymore than MSRP.

The lowest Classic Honda is willing to go for is $100 off MSRP.... They told me they can't match the deal I got and they don't have lifetime warranty on the transmission.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you're at the current "correct" market price. Go for it.

One thing though, after you've signed the sales agreement they will stick you in a locked room with the finance guy who will try to sell you a bunch of add-on crap you don't need like service contracts and extended warranties. Just say no. You can always purchase an extended warranty later (whole car, not just the transmission).

Also the dealer makes money on car loans; they will try to "sell" you a too high a rate (unless Honda has incentive interest rates no; don't think so). Find out what sort of interest rate you qualify for through your own bank or credit union before agreeing to the dealer's offer for a loan.

Kidding about the locked room, but it feels that way...

One thing you might want to add to the negotiation is remote lock keys. The Base Fit has all the electronics built in, you just need the remote keys plus cutting and programming (maybe the 2011's come with remote keys?). The dealer can "sweeten" the deal by throwing these in. If you go back and want to add it later they might ask as much as $300 for remote entry (it's really just the key!). A hundred bucks for two remote entry keys would be reasonable.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The dealer can "sweeten" the deal by throwing these in. I
Yea the dealer can "sweeten deals", but currently they have no business incentive to do that.
In a normal market, a dealer would be willing to take less profit per car to get more volume. However, if you can't resupply your stock, this strategy doesn't hold up.
I read a news article that japanese Dealers in autogroups are instructed that they don't need to sweeten anything, if you don't want the car, they don't need your business right now; they are more then happy to hold on to the car for someone else to buy later; no new cars are coming, they have a parking space for it.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Yea the dealer can "sweeten deals", but currently they have no business incentive to do that.
In a normal market, a dealer would be willing to take less profit per car to get more volume. However, if you can't resupply your stock, this strategy doesn't hold up.
I read a news article that japanese Dealers in autogroups are instructed that they don't need to sweeten anything, if you don't want the car, they don't need your business right now; they are more then happy to hold on to the car for someone else to buy later; no new cars are coming, they have a parking space for it.

Checking standard features, remote entry is included on the 2011 Base Fits anyway. I wish they had this, cruise and VSA on 2009s. The inclusion of these 3 items is worth a lot.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Checking standard features, remote entry is included on the 2011 Base Fits anyway. I wish they had this, cruise and VSA on 2009s. The inclusion of these 3 items is worth a lot.
That is the reason why I didn't upgrade to Sport model. Feel like other than the 16" wheel there is no incentive.

Thanks for the advice. I will see what kind of interest rate they are selling me for. If it is lower than 3.5% I might just take it to avoid hassle with the bank.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
I agree. I really really really picked a worst time to buy a car. Right now I feel like those people who bought super expensive houses at the peak of 06.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I was just at honda of Fort myers and they had a black '11 Fit sport a/t for 16,8xx. Your price seems very high for a base model. my dad fell in love with my fit and is thinking of buying one, so we went to the dealer, the salesman was saying it was somewhere around 19K out the door. I think long term it'd be worth the extra cash and feature, especially when it comes to resell value. I'd give them a call and see what they say.

I've never dealt with honda of fort myers but I have heard good things about them.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by abelardo
I was just at honda of Fort myers and they had a black '11 Fit sport a/t for 16,8xx. Your price seems very high for a base model. my dad fell in love with my fit and is thinking of buying one, so we went to the dealer, the salesman was saying it was somewhere around 19K out the door. I think long term it'd be worth the extra cash and feature, especially when it comes to resell value. I'd give them a call and see what they say.

I've never dealt with honda of fort myers but I have heard good things about them.
19.6k out of door for a sport A/T is what my dealer quoted me. I don't think it worth $1500 to upgrade from base to sport because it doesn't give much extra practical features (cruise control, remote key and VSA all included in Base.) So I went with the Base and still think that is a good decision.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
My 2010 Fit Sport A/T cost me about $20,500 out the door. That was back in February when the Fits were the cheapest in recent times. If you can get a 2011 Base for around $18,000, that's not a bad deal by any means. Unfortunately, you and I are in higher populated markets where taxes and pricing are higher.

My father just bought a 2011 Sport A/T last month as well. I don't know what his was out the door, but it was $18,100 starting, which is about $1000 more than my starting price.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chasy Price
I agree. I really really really picked a worst time to buy a car. Right now I feel like those people who bought super expensive houses at the peak of 06.
Yeah its ridiculous, I looked mine up on kbb and its actually worth more now used than when i bought it lol craazy

Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Don't buy it!!! Come fall you will be kicking yourself. Buy another brand of car. I paid $15,938 out the door for a 2011 Fit base w/auto including new plates ($388.40) in FL. Do you really want to pay over $2000 more than I did?? I know you really want a Fit, I really wanted a Soul, but it just made no sense to buy it!

Dealer Fee This is a scam, they are stealing your money! However under State law if they charge one person a Dealer fee, they must charge everyone. It is State Law you cannot get around it.

Oh yes you can.

The fee is like rust proofing or Scotch guard or some other way of parting the suckers from their money. Bear with me. I will use my car as an example.

Bottom line price was $14,629.42. But I explained that I was no way, no how paying a $699 dealer fee. That I would buy the car in NY on my next trip where the dealer fee is limited by state law to $45.

So on the sales contract the selling price is listed as $13930.42 then they add the $699 Total $14,629.42. State law is obeyed and I have not paid the sucker fee! See the dealer can sell the car for any price they want, but they must charge the Fee to everyone. Smoke and mirrors.

HTH JIm 0311

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by jjrbus
Don't buy it!!! Come fall you will be kicking yourself. Buy another brand of car. I paid $15,938 out the door for a 2011 Fit base w/auto including new plates ($388.40) in FL. Do you really want to pay over $2000 more than I did?? I know you really want a Fit, I really wanted a Soul, but it just made no sense to buy it!

Dealer Fee This is a scam, they are stealing your money! However under State law if they charge one person a Dealer fee, they must charge everyone. It is State Law you cannot get around it.

Oh yes you can.

The fee is like rust proofing or Scotch guard or some other way of parting the suckers from their money. Bear with me. I will use my car as an example.

Bottom line price was $14,629.42. But I explained that I was no way, no how paying a $699 dealer fee. That I would buy the car in NY on my next trip where the dealer fee is limited by state law to $45.

So on the sales contract the selling price is listed as $13930.42 then they add the $699 Total $14,629.42. State law is obeyed and I have not paid the sucker fee! See the dealer can sell the car for any price they want, but they must charge the Fee to everyone. Smoke and mirrors.

HTH JIm 0311

I know you paid $2000 less than mine I saw your post earlier... However let's say it this way. I tried everything. They just won't budge. Maybe you are a master at negotiating, maybe the fact that you got it a month or so earlier played a crucial role to the pricing. Nonetheless I could not have gotten any price lowered than what I have. And I have to have a car by the end of this month.

So, I can either go get a Versa, a Yaris, an Accent, a Mazda 2, or something comparable, for about $1500 less at most, or get the Fit. I only have certain budget (stay below 19k for example) so higher model is pretty much out.

I don't know how you did it. I really don't. I have never seen anybody gotten off the dealer fee. I have "threatened" people and they just let me walk without ever calling me. Of course I am relatively new to the car world....

Your price of $13,930 is just outrageous. I truly admire you for pulling that off.

I already got the car today and drove it home. I know this is such a bad price. But sometimes I guess I just have to live with it. $2000 is a lot of money, but it surely pays off for me to be able to go to work, and don't have to deal with the hassle of changing cars later or something...

Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
Yeah its ridiculous, I looked mine up on kbb and its actually worth more now used than when i bought it lol craazy
Don't know how long this craziness is going to last.....

Dollar's shrinking is just not helping...

Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by theindiearmy
My 2010 Fit Sport A/T cost me about $20,500 out the door. That was back in February when the Fits were the cheapest in recent times. If you can get a 2011 Base for around $18,000, that's not a bad deal by any means. Unfortunately, you and I are in higher populated markets where taxes and pricing are higher.

My father just bought a 2011 Sport A/T last month as well. I don't know what his was out the door, but it was $18,100 starting, which is about $1000 more than my starting price.
That sounds about right. If your farther got a sport A/T with $18,100 base price then that is not bad for current market. All the dealers around me are demanding $18250 (somewhere there) for Sport A/T for starting.

All they have left on the lot is Sport models. Base has been out of stock for at least 2 weeks. Even sport model they only have like 5 left. Based on what I have seen in my area there aren't more than 40 Fit left including all trims. My dealer had to drive 200 miles back and forth in order to get my Base model. That tells you how bad the supply is.

However when I am riding in my new Fit today I feel so happy. So let it be and enjoy the ride!!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Chasy- congrats on your new Fit. In the long run, you will end up saving on gas.
I too paid more than others because I insisted on ordering a Fit in colors my dealer did not have, nor where they at any of the nearby dealers. My salesman bent over backwards to get the Fit in the color I wanted--he tried to trade with several dealers in a 500 mile radius & I ended up with a free tint job. It has been a year and I am glad I got the car in the color I wanted.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I know you paid $2000 less than mine I saw your post earlier... However let's say it this way. I tried everything. They just won't budge. Maybe you are a master at negotiating, maybe the fact that you got it a month or so earlier played a crucial role to the pricing. Nonetheless I could not have gotten any price lowered than what I have. And I have to have a car by the end of this month.

So, I can either go get a Versa, a Yaris, an Accent, a Mazda 2, or something comparable, for about $1500 less at most, or get the Fit. I only have certain budget (stay below 19k for example) so higher model is pretty much out.

I don't know how you did it. I really don't. I have never seen anybody gotten off the dealer fee. I have "threatened" people and they just let me walk without ever calling me. Of course I am relatively new to the car world....

Your price of $13,930 is just outrageous. I truly admire you for pulling that off.

I already got the car today and drove it home. I know this is such a bad price. But sometimes I guess I just have to live with it. $2000 is a lot of money, but it surely pays off for me to be able to go to work, and don't have to deal with the hassle of changing cars later or something...

I'm not a master negotiator. Just been at it longer than you. You just bought at the wrong time! Sometimes it cannot be helped and you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure you did your best, but they have no reason to negotiate. When their stock is gone it's gone.

On the bright side the Fit is a great car, it should provide you with many trouble free miles and years. So if you keep the Fit for 10 years, it's only $200 a year, way less than a dollar a day. No big deal

Welcome to the club, I am sure you will be very happy here. I know I am
JIm 0311

Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
19.6k out of door for a sport A/T is what my dealer quoted me. I don't think it worth $1500 to upgrade from base to sport because it doesn't give much extra practical features (cruise control, remote key and VSA all included in Base.) So I went with the Base and still think that is a good decision.
Classic quoted you 19.6 OTD for Auto Sport?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE HE GOT QUOTED 19.5 FOR SPORT AUTO>?:con fused:

Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Not Classic Honda. 19.6k OTD is the dealer I got it from. Although I am not sure if the price is still there.... Their stock keeps shrinking and he probably wants more now.

Classic Honda quoted me around 20k OTD for Sport A/T I think. I don't remember specifically anymore cause I didn't want a Sport.