2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My rant on my new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM
My rant on my new exhaust

I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon

Old 05-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Please learn to use paragraphs.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 AM
I didn't have time to take it to my editor. it was one thought without edit.
You should learn to word things without rudeness. Don't read it if you don't like it and especially don't comment on it if your going to be blatantly offensive.
You should join a book club blog.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:37 AM
you guys are cracking me up... that "book club" remark just made me spew out my coffee
ok... let's be play nice now... judgement day is upon us

any sound/vid clips kirinzon?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 AM
I will try to get a clip...with and without the silencer. The sound of the muff is awesome, its the drone in the 3 and 4 range that I can't stand without the silencer. It is real bad cruisin' through town...if you creep like a turtle its not bad, but I like to get to where I'm going. I'm surprised no one on the forum talks about exhuast drone...other fitfreaks must have drone going on too. Back to my use of paragraphs...my auntie was an english major and I was corrected many times by her, I'm sensitive. peace.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by kirinzon
I didn't have time to take it to my editor. it was one thought without edit.
You should learn to word things without rudeness. Don't read it if you don't like it and especially don't comment on it if your going to be blatantly offensive.
You should join a book club blog.
I'd like to understand what part of "please learn to use paragraphs" is offensive or rude.

I assume you post on forums to get replies to your original posting. As such, it is important to make sure people actually read your original posting. If your original posting is a wall of unbroken text, then people are much less likely to read it, and you will be waiting much longer to get your answer.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 AM
It is rather rude to tell someone "learn how to use paragraphs" when they know how to.

The problem is if you put an indent to start a new paragraph it gets reformatted without an indent?...(I think, but not sure). The only way you can start a new paragraph would be with a double line space and my post would have been really long.

If i'm wrong I will try to delve into this so I can properly have my post formatted. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused you.

By the way my gas millage went way down with the big exhaust opening and now with the silencer I'm getting 30ish arounnd town...thats killer!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon I'm writing this post to share my experience with my recent exhaust upgrade. I was going to buy a cat or axel back and all I really wanted was to be able to hear my exhaust opposed to the stock that I couldn't hear...how can you drive without hearing the muffler? Listing to a muffler especially if your a gas sipper can give a driver good feedback. I had a straight through magnaflow muff put on and it sounded good but I had some problems. First of all after the install all I could really hear was the resonator right under the passenger side...It drove me ape sh#t hearing it. Needless to say I had the res. cut out and its was way better. If you add a performance muffler you have to have the stock res. removed...it sounds like crap. Another problem was the straight through exhaust killed my low end torque, however It seemed to haul ass in the higher rpms...not in first or second. It seems to me if you mod your exhaust that you have to compromise...more tq and hp at higher speeds or more torque at lower speeds. the other problem I was having was exhaust drone between 3 and 4. Not bad and I could live with it and some people will say turn the radio up...however i would rather hear a honda engine than a radio, also I want to hear my muffler not my pipes making a dissonant tone. I was thinking of having a drone pipe added and I thought until I get it done I wanted a quick fix so I tried finding a silencer and they don't make any for stock size pipes which is what I kept...I am actually 2" out the back, stock is 1 3/4. So, I made my own silencer with a metal gasket and it worked great. I went from a 2" outlet to a 1 1/4. I realize I just added more back pressure to the exhaust, but there is no drone and unlike the stock muff I can hear it now. It has a deep sound that I want and I have a good bit of the low end back. I may try to mod this with a bigger opening like 1 1/2 and see what that does. I'm not a racer, I would like a turbo down the road(after its paid) just a fit owner that wants to dial it in to his own needs...kirinzon

Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
It is rather rude to tell someone "learn how to use paragraphs" when they know how to.

The problem is if you put an indent to start a new paragraph it gets reformatted without an indent?...(I think, but not sure). The only way you can start a new paragraph would be with a double line space and my post would have been really long.

If i'm wrong I will try to delve into this so I can properly have my post formatted. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused you.

By the way my gas millage went way down with the big exhaust opening and now with the silencer I'm getting 30ish arounnd town...thats killer!!!
How am I supposed to know that you know how to use paragraphs?

Double line spaces are very common with HTML-dependent text formatting (i.e. the internets). In fact, I prefer it over indents for starting new paragraphs.

Breaking up your post into paragraphs makes your post much less intimidating, and makes it easier for people to follow your text. Otherwise I feel like I'm just reading and reading and reading and reading... You get the idea.

Anyway, I digress. I apologize for derailing your thread, and I'd like to make it clear that I wasn't attempting to offend you.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I also have a hard time following your post when its all clumped up together.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 PM
I wanted to share my experience with my muffler...maybe someone else had a crappy stock resonator or had exhaust drone or was thinking of a muffler upgrade.

I'm going to make a few sound clips of the muff w/ and without the diy silencer and maybe i can start a thread that will help someone and not be a joke.

thanks Evil for the sound clip you shared with me because that is what convinced me to cut the res. out and I'm glad I did...kirinzon

Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
I can't read your rant because its too cluttered. There's a subforum for your exhaust rant too.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 AM
NO OFFENSE but all i read was
I was going to buy a cat

Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I was going to buy a cat
Did it say "fiddle-eye-fee?"

(apologies to Aaron Copland)

Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 AM
"don't res the cat..."

thread keeps getting interesting in the morning... goes best with coffee

@kirinzon: glad you like your exhaust

Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
This thread's all over the place...

To the OP:

"Performance exhaust" isn't simply hacking the OE piping and slapping a fart pipe on it. Manufacturers of quality exhaust systems do R&D in efforts to get the best sound, overall broadest ranger of power and torque, and quality construction that will last.

Your method of hacking, splicing, rehacking, and resplicing sounds like a pain in the ass. If you'd just leave the engineering to the professionals and just cough up the money for a purpose-built exhaust for your Fit then you could probably have a nice sounding exhaust that won't compromise low end, midrange, or top end power/torque.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM
This is too funny... Paragraphs. I think this is where the English language is going. Texting is doing it.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Its not a performance exhaust...its a wide open performance muffler. I can't see any other muffler being any better than a magnaflow. I wish I could have bought a stainless steel catback system, but it wasn't in the budget at this time. it sounds nothing like a fart can...it has a deep tone with no rasp whatsoever.

I would like to hear one of these so called "tuned mufflers" to see how they sound, especially around 4 or 5 or the engine under a load. I can tell you if they have a straight through with a 2" or bigger outlet it will drone like a mofo and it will loose back pressure and torque. they may have a magical resonator that gets the drone out but my bet is its nothing like the advertised claims and it has drone and is only effective to its true potential when used in conjuction with other mods.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I can tell you if they have a straight through with a 2" or bigger outlet it will drone like a mofo and it will loose back pressure and torque.
the outlet diameter is not what causes droning, it's several factors in the muffler/exhaust design, resonance, sound waves, etc.

a BUNCH of brand-name systems have a huge outlet and no drone. it's all in the design.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm sure if a company did the proper testing they could make a great sounding exhaust. The problem is which ones are truely tuned for the fit. I was going to buy a tanabe and read that it had some drone and a good "tuned" exhaust should not have any drone...that being said some people like the drone I do not. A loud muff sounds great, but a loud exhaust with drone sounds like crap to me.

Now my exhaust with the magnaflow and the resonator cut out made drone and when adding a smaller diameter to the opening the drone was gone. The openig made a difference to mine and I also regained my low end. I don't think a fit should have bigger than stock pipes because of the loss of backpressure.

Quick Reply: My rant on my new exhaust