2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear bumper damage help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Rear bumper damage help!

The majority of the friends I've sent this picture to have told me that I pretty much need to replace the back bumper at this point... But I figured I'd send a cry for help to the masses of FIT owners out there and hopefully someone has an idea of what I should do or cost estimates? This is my first accident/incident so any help is GREATLY appreciated!
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
sorry to say it but your friends are right, you need a new bumper cover. the portion near the tow hook threading is too mangled for repair.

:edit:
looks like your trunk took some damage too,id someone rear end you? i would file a claim against their insurance company and let them deal with it. 99.9% of the time the party responsible for a rear end fender-bender is the one with the front end damage... unless you reversed into them

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 05-19-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weiyeenchan
The majority of the friends I've sent this picture to have told me that I pretty much need to replace the back bumper at this point... But I figured I'd send a cry for help to the masses of FIT owners out there and hopefully someone has an idea of what I should do or cost estimates? This is my first accident/incident so any help is GREATLY appreciated!
It's about $630 for a new bumper cover, paint and clearcoat including labor from a body shop. If the metal bumper bar behind it was damaged that's another $150.

Sorry, it sucks. I know. My bumper seems to be a magnet for other cars to smack.

(edit: US prices. with VAT and such it's going to hurt more in the great white north)

Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, I do live in the great white north ... The people at my work right now are razing me and telling me it's going to be upwards of 1000 =( And then one of them kindly pointed out that there's also a dent and scratch on the back hatch ...

So I guess my next step is to price out collision centres? This is my first collision so I'm not too sure what the right steps are =P

Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh .. and yeah, I backed into them in a parking lot ... I was pulling out between two big vans so visibility wasn't the greatest, and they were driving fast enough through the parking lot that I didn't see them in time to stop. Cruddy part is, I can't prove they were driving too fast =(

Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ya might want to check the after market bumper sceen. I know for the GD3 there are many to choose from.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Oh .. and yeah, I backed into them in a parking lot ... I was pulling out between two big vans so visibility wasn't the greatest, and they were driving fast enough through the parking lot that I didn't see them in time to stop. Cruddy part is, I can't prove they were driving too fast =(
sorry to hear that... personally, i think the driver with the best visibility should yield to the driver backing out of the parking space. your situation is the best scenario to argue it

Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
I can see the little crease on the trunk. If someone slse was involved where is the insurance companies? That's who you should be talking to.....your insurance agent.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
My father said the same thing. That common courtesy is to yield to the person backing out who you know doesn't have the best visibility. And I know they weren't looking because of how fast they were going and when one of the guys got out of their van, I heard "what was that".

On another note .. I'm a car newb (the car's less than a year old, 2010 Fit sport), is GD3 a company? A few people here have suggested collision centres that they've been to and just getting quotes to see who could give the best deal...

Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by cruzn246
I can see the little crease on the trunk. If someone slse was involved where is the insurance companies? That's who you should be talking to.....your insurance agent.
Insurance is next on the list. This actually all happened less than an hour ago. I'm coming out of panic mode a little bit, just trying to figure out what I should expect cost-wise on the damage done. I was highly advised NOT to go to the dealer though

Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
I am a long time parking lot driver. The rule when you are backing out in that situation is simple. Go Slooooooooow and keep looking. If you have to stop a few times as visibility gets better, do it. You can forget about courtesy. Assuming you'll get it is foolhardy. It's your business to know if anyone is moving back there. I had my one and only accident like that 35 years ago. I lived and learned. Parking lots are the #1 places for accidents.

Last edited by cruzn246; 05-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
If ya want to find out the "real" rules consult your insurance agent. They have a book that goes way beyond the "Rules of the Road".

Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced mine a little over a year ago. Part and paint job cost $500. I saved labor for installing myself. It is real easy. 4 bolts near the hatch / few screws and clips underneath.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by vwli
I replaced mine a little over a year ago. Part and paint job cost $500. I saved labor for installing myself. It is real easy. 4 bolts near the hatch / few screws and clips underneath.
This may be a dumb question, but enlighten me ... would different colours of the Fit cost different for paint? Like would the blue cost less/more than your white?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
x2 on the insurance agent. did the cops come?

if the paint has a pearl or something in it, it would usually cost more.

can't score a less damaged bumper cover from a junkyard and have it painted? buying non-OEM parts and trying to make them fit is so hit or miss, it's pointless. i bought a non-OEM bumper for $50 or so bucks and thought I made out. when it lined up like shit, i realized i got what i paid for.

i would look for a more repairable bumper cover and have that painted.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
I missed the damage to the rear hatch. I'm afraid you're looking at closer to $2500 in repairs unless the body shop tries to repair the dent (less than ideal) instead of installing a new hatch. A repair might be less (but not much as labor (labour?) is more). Used parts might cut a few hundred off the total (and your insurance might require this).

Looks like an insurance claim.

edit: and the next step is to talk to your insurance company. They can advise where to take it from there.

Last edited by Steve244; 05-19-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: bump up guestimate.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM
My father said the same thing. That common courtesy is to yield to the person backing out who you know doesn't have the best visibility. And I know they weren't looking because of how fast they were going and when one of the guys got out of their van, I heard "what was that".

On another note .. I'm a car newb (the car's less than a year old, 2010 Fit sport), is GD3 a company? A few people here have suggested collision centres that they've been to and just getting quotes to see who could give the best deal...
A question would be did you hit them, or did they hit you. If you hit them, where on their car did you hit them? They hit you if they drove into your car so it hit them. Too fast is not being able to keep your car under control for the situation you are driving in. It isn't cut and dry, especially if they saw your car and did not or could not stop in time. Keep the owness on them. They should manage their control over their vehicle.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks like you hit them square, so I doubt you'll get too far with the "They were driving too fast" argument. How do you know they were driving too fast if you never saw them? If it was me, I'd hit up the junkyards until I could find one that color. Paint won't be an exact match, but it also won't cost $500-$1000, and chances are, even if you have it sprayed, the $500 guy isn't going to color match it anyway. Seeing as you're in Canada, don't worry about the hatch. The car whole car will be rusted out in 10 years anyway, right!? Best of luck. Start hitting the yards.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Baed on what year it is, it should only be about $150 for the bumper. Then just bring to a body shop and have painted and installed. Should be wayyyy cheaper.

Honda Automotive Parts

Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Baed on what year it is, it should only be about $150 for the bumper. Then just bring to a body shop and have painted and installed. Should be wayyyy cheaper.

Honda Automotive Parts

Yup. Probably cheaper than the deductible (if they have one) that they would have to pay to get it fixed.

Looks like you hit them in the tire area.

I wouldn't file a claim for a minor repair like this that can be easily fix without a shop, except for paint. If you do, the accident will be reported to the car's history, depending on whether your insurance agent/collision center wants to report this.

If you just buy the bumper, the tow cover (comes painted for $7.00), and have a reputable shop paint the bumper then it could be under $500. Just call around and see how much it is to paint a bumper.

Last edited by Neebs; 05-19-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper damage help!