2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear bumper damage help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
I can't tell from the pic but maybe the hatch could be undented by those paint-less dent removal guys. Check scrap yards for the bumper cover.

Originally Posted by poopshovel
The car whole car will be rusted out in 10 years anyway, right!?
Wrong! Not with proper care (see my sig). Btw I thought that was a nasty comment.

Last edited by Virtual; 05-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
I hit at their wheel rim... the reason I knew they were going too fast is because one of the guys in their car pretty much said "well to be fair, we were tearing through the lot pretty fast" which was shushed by his friends. They weren't looking but it won't matter because on paper, its on me which I've accepted.

I talked to the insurance broker and they pretty much said, get an estimate on the damage done, and then depending on how much it is, figure out if we want to claim or not. I'm hoping that the bumper won't cost so much since it's all plastic. Just not too sure about the dent and scratch on the hatch yet.

I also want to thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It's much appreciated! I love my fit so much =P

Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I just had a random thought... who makes bumper parts? I know because of the Japan earthquake, production of the cars has been severely diminished, but I wonder, what about parts?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weiyeenchan
I hit at their wheel rim... the reason I knew they were going too fast is because one of the guys in their car pretty much said "well to be fair, we were tearing through the lot pretty fast" which was shushed by his friends. They weren't looking but it won't matter because on paper, its on me which I've accepted.

I talked to the insurance broker and they pretty much said, get an estimate on the damage done, and then depending on how much it is, figure out if we want to claim or not. I'm hoping that the bumper won't cost so much since it's all plastic. Just not too sure about the dent and scratch on the hatch yet.

I also want to thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It's much appreciated! I love my fit so much =P
It'll cost enough, There is no such thing as cheap when it comes to replacing/fixing body parts. I can't remember the last time I saw anything under $800

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
There is a company in Central IL that makes them. Has plants all over NA. A guy up there developed this modern bumper system. He is uber rich and tried to buy the STL Rams last year. Here is the website of the company.

Last edited by cruzn246; 05-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Cool If you...

Opt not to do insurance and fix it yourself...you could also just cover up the bumper with a rubber strip or something more extreme...

Amazon.com: GOLD EDITION Bumper Bully Extreme - The Ultimate Outdoor Bumper Protector, Rear Bumper Guard, Extreme Bumper Protection, STEEL REINFORCED STRAPS PREVENT THEFT !: Automotive

Old 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Opt not to do insurance and fix it yourself...you could also just cover up the bumper with a rubber strip or something more extreme...

Amazon.com: GOLD EDITION Bumper Bully Extreme - The Ultimate Outdoor Bumper Protector, Rear Bumper Guard, Extreme Bumper Protection, STEEL REINFORCED STRAPS PREVENT THEFT !: Automotive
If I'm going to do that, I'm going to request the one from Death Race ... I'm sure the Fit could handle it =P

Old 05-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Oh .. and yeah, I backed into them in a parking lot ... I was pulling out between two big vans so visibility wasn't the greatest, and they were driving fast enough through the parking lot that I didn't see them in time to stop. Cruddy part is, I can't prove they were driving too fast =(
You were backing out of a parking spot. You were taking care. THEY were driving too fast for you to see them in time to stop. THEY were driving too fast to be able to control their vehicle. My guess is they were coming from your right. How far out of the space were you when the collision occurred? Which wheel on their car got you? I wouldn't give in so easy, even if your insurance guy wants to.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
You were backing out of a parking spot. You were taking care. THEY were driving too fast for you to see them in time to stop. THEY were driving too fast to be able to control their vehicle. My guess is they were coming from your right. How far out of the space were you when the collision occurred? Which wheel on their car got you? I wouldn't give in so easy, even if your insurance guy wants to.

It's about a no-brainer in parking lots when it comes to liability. The guy backing out is responsible.....period. It doesn't matter if they are flying planes down the aisle. They aren't gonna do accident reconstruction here.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by cruzn246
It's about a no-brainer in parking lots when it comes to liability. The guy backing out is responsible.....period. It doesn't matter if they are flying planes down the aisle. They aren't gonna do accident reconstruction here.
I found out today that thats not entirely true. A colleague at work had his wife go through something similar but she was the one that was driving through the parking lot. They actually found HER to be the liable one since it was ruled that she had better visibility. They even took it to civil court and lost. Not sure how it got that far, but it was interesting to hear that the driver NOT backing out was held accountable.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Accidents are hardly no-brainers. Failing to defend yourself is. Insurance companies are notorious for taking the path of least resistance and absorbing the cost by bumping premiums.

The guy backing out IS NOT solely responsible. Because of someones careless behavior is no reason to have your day ruined because all you were doing is leaving a parking space in a parking lot.
I've been there and successfully defended my case by talking directly with the other party's insurance company.

It can happen, you need to practically document it for them directly. Hardly an agent that will step in for you. No-fault is only as good as the individual responcibilty of each party. No blanket rules.

If OP can honestly claim he was at fault it's a different issue. His stated facts and possible details leads me to think otherwise.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I found out today that thats not entirely true. A colleague at work had his wife go through something similar but she was the one that was driving through the parking lot. They actually found HER to be the liable one since it was ruled that she had better visibility. They even took it to civil court and lost. Not sure how it got that far, but it was interesting to hear that the driver NOT backing out was held accountable.
Well in civil court you are gonna get past the books that are used. It will usually come down to who had the best story, and perhaps the best lawyer. I have hardly ever heard of a parking lot thing going to civil court. Must of been some high priced autos involved.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Accidents are hardly no-brainers. Failing to defend yourself is. Insurance companies are notorious for taking the path of least resistance and absorbing the cost by bumping premiums.

The guy backing out IS NOT solely responsible. Because of someones careless behavior is no reason to have your day ruined because all you were doing is leaving a parking space in a parking lot.
I've been there and successfully defended my case by talking directly with the other party's insurance company.

It can happen, you need to practically document it for them directly. Hardly an agent that will step in for you. No-fault is only as good as the individual responcibilty of each party. No blanket rules.

If OP can honestly claim he was at fault it's a different issue. His stated facts and possible details leads me to think otherwise.
Good for you.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member

I actually got out of one, but it was because the car I backed into was coming from an unexpected direction.