2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil use - New Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Oil use - New Fit

Just went down to 90% at 945 miles. Is this pretty typical? I am probably driving 60-70% highway miles.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
It's normal.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruzn246
Just went down to 90% at 945 miles. Is this pretty typical? I am probably driving 60-70% highway miles.
It's normal. I did my first oil change at 7,000 miles and I'm sure there are members here that it took even longer.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by cruzn246
Seems reasonable... I'm at 90% after 1250 miles.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM
The rate is roughly 10% per 1000 miles.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm still at 70% with over 4500 miles. Of course, most of the miles put on my car is from the 30 mile (each way) daily commute in which I don't see a traffic light until the last couple of miles. I would say easily 90% of those 4500 miles are highway (non-rush hour too).

However, I do expect it to drop to 60% any mile now.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
The rate is roughly 10% per 1000 miles.
I think the MM is set to more like 12,500 interval under "average" use as evidenced by the European service schedule manual scan that has been posted in other threads.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Normal. I did my 1s oil change at 20% with about 9K on the odo. 2nd was done at 20K right at 15% and the 3rd was... oh wait. I'm at 26,800 with 50% on the MM. figure right around 30K I'll do my next.

~SB

Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
In my case i change the oil of my Fit every 3,000 miles.Really i don't use the oil life indicator.By this way my engine will have good oil always....

Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
Normal. I did my 1s oil change at 20% with about 9K on the odo. 2nd was done at 20K right at 15% and the 3rd was... oh wait. I'm at 26,800 with 50% on the MM. figure right around 30K I'll do my next.

~SB
Yeah, I would definitely cut that down. Get your oil analyzed by blackstone to make sure you're ok and not screwing up your motor.
I doubt you'll be able to use the whole "MM told me this" defense if your engine starts going.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by TheOrangeRevolution
Yeah, I would definitely cut that down. Get your oil analyzed by blackstone to make sure you're ok and not screwing up your motor.
I doubt you'll be able to use the whole "MM told me this" defense if your engine starts going.
Following the manufacture's maintenance schedule voids the manufacturer's warranty?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Following the manufacture's maintenance schedule voids the manufacturer's warranty?
You're following a computer that doesn't know everything involved in the equation. I'm pretty sure it doesn't know what filter you use, doesn't know what viscosity or type of oil.
If I were you, I would change it sooner than what the computer says for the peace of mind. Unless of course, you just don't care?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 PM
The computer presumably keeps track of a lot more than mileage- cold starts, warm starts, total starts, high rpm, engine revs, etc.

Miles alone is a too-simple way of determining oil change intervals when a computer has much more information to work from.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 PM
You're following a computer that doesn't know everything involved in the equation. I'm pretty sure it doesn't know what filter you use, doesn't know what viscosity or type of oil.
If I were you, I would change it sooner than what the computer says for the peace of mind. Unless of course, you just don't care?
Following the manufacture's recommendations on oil, filter and periodicity violates the manufacture's warranty? If you meet or exceed those recommendations then the computer's assumptions are valid.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, I'm following a computer that knows more about engines and how they run than 99.99999% of people out there. Others have had blackstone do analysis on their engines with many more miles and none (count them... 0...) have had blackstone ever say they couldn't have gone thousands of miles further based upon the analysis.

I'm not worried. Honda knows engines better than ANYONE else out there. and therefore know how oil will react better in their own engines than anyone else. They've built their Rep on reliable engines so they aren't going to jeopardize that.

Here comes the spiel.
Originally Posted by ME damnit ME - like 100000 times
3K oil changes came from the 50s & 60's where oil was poorly manufactured, engines over 60K miles were considered miracles and were machined with AWFUL tolerances using OLD technology. Have we not progressed in every other level of technology yet oil remains our one foe? no... oil & engine tech has too progressed with everything else...

The only thing that hasn't progressed... Mindsets.
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
The computer presumably keeps track of a lot more than mileage- cold starts, warm starts, total starts, high rpm, engine revs, etc.

Miles alone is a too-simple way of determining oil change intervals when a computer has much more information to work from.
Correct.

Also, the Warranty will cover any issues.

My peace of mind is that I've always followed the manufacturer's specs (I've had 1 non-honda) and have had vehicles with almost 200K miles on them that were run pretty hard with 0, (again let's count... 0) engine related issues. (oops... one. A distributor seized on my B18B integra but that was covered by Acura under a campaign.)

Oh... and I've chosen to run Synthetic in the engine although I don't really feel like I need to. I figured $10 more every $10K miles Isn't going to hurt anything.

I'll leave the 3K oil changes to My FIL's '69 GT500... Welcome to the 21st Century.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 05-16-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Missing an "r"
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Oil.. what's that?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
why are you freaking out? I think you are misreading his post.

He said he changed at 9k (9k OCI)
then at 20k (11k OCI)
then is expecting at 30k (10k OCI)

Maybe you were thinking that he was going 20k and 30k intervals on his 2nd and 3rd changes?

10k is exactly in line with what everyone else as well as what the Euro manual is saying, so you're the odd man out on this.

For all of you changing early, I would like to ask, why only the obsession with oil? Why aren't you also changing your tires when they are 50% used, or your brakepads when they're 50%? To each your own, but examine why the obsession for oil only

Last edited by raytseng; 05-17-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng

For all of you changing early, I would like to ask, why only the obsession with oil? Why aren't you also changing your tires when they are 50% used, or your brakepads when they're 50%? To each your own, but examine why the obsession for oil only
Low cost per change and it feels good.

My wife belongs to the Church of the Holy Oil Change. She also does everything else the service salespeople preach. I cringe whenever she brings her Toyota home from a prayer meeting at the dealership.

I've been working on her slowly to convert by my being a living example. 10K between changes here (15% on the MM). I did thumb my nose at the Honda dealer when they wanted $112 for mm "2" service. I can change my own air cleaner element and cabin filter for less than $40.

If you want to do something where you can tell a difference, pull out your cabin filter and check out how black it is with lots of grody stuff between the folds. You can smell the difference replacing it and the A/C will work better. It's about $20 online. Invest $6 at the same time changing your wiper inserts (no you don't need to change the whole wiper). I do these yearly, and pop in a new air cleaner ($17) while I'm at it. OK I'm guilty of some unnecessary maintenance.

It's a damn good Honda economy car folks. Stop acting like it's a Ferrari.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by specboy

I'll leave the 3K oil changes to My FIL's '69 GT500... Welcome to the 21st Century.

~SB
Where did I say anything about 3k oil changes?
I did say to run an oil analysis with blackstone, simply because others going xxxxx miles and being fine doesn't mean every engine will be fine.
It's a precaution.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Where did I say anything about 3k oil changes?
I did say to run an oil analysis with blackstone, simply because others going xxxxx miles and being fine doesn't mean every engine will be fine.
It's a precaution.
This precaution is still based on giving any merit to 50 year old advice. There's no precaution needed if following the manufacturer's directions. Simply follow the directions. If you choose to do something more extreme than the manufacturer's directions then that's when you should take certain precautions.

Quick Reply: Oil use - New Fit