2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Golf TDI vs Fit for CO 30's couple - help us decide!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
A few observations of the Civic, I have a 2010 Civic and get 40 average in the summer with 20 miles at 70 mph and 6 miles city. Except for the winter mpg I am happy with the mpg. The new 2012 Civic has higher compression but has no more HP and the HP comes in at 6500 compared to 6300 for the 2010. At cruise around 60 my ultra gauge says I am getting 45 to 65 mpg depending on the hills. It looks like Honda uses a higher duration cam and with the 0w20 oils thats required and the mpg is a little higher 39 hwy compared to the 36 my car is rated.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
DON'T BUY THE FIT!

I love my fit for its go-kart like handling...but its gutless...reallly really gutless.

Expect to wind that thing out everyday because its gonna struggle. Paddle shifters are great but in the end you'll be much happier driving a torky TDI up and down hills.

Plus look at all the tech going into diesels. So many things you can do to customize the fuel curves and boost. Living up that high a diesel will do much much better.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I'd go with the Golf.

I came from a Passat 1.8t wagon to the Fit. Bought the Fit almost 3 years ago as a city runabout and then we moved and it's been pressed into 50 mile/day carpooling duty. Had I known this I would have probably not gotten the Fit. In my opinion, it rides too stiff and is too noisy for this role. At 65+ mph you definitely have to raise your voice to talk to each other, especially in the back seat.

Last summer we did a trip from Dallas to Denver and back in the Fit. It's certainly capable but the noise adds to the stress of long days on the road. There were times in CO on the highway that I was in 3rd with it floored and barely able to accelerate uphill. If I lived at altitude, I would likely ONLY consider a turbo vehicle.

There are things we really like about the Fit. Love the nimble handling. It gets pretty good mileage. We Love the magic seats and have hauled insane amounts of stuff. It's a really flexible little car. We've had a trouble-free 2.5 years for us.

If it was still just a city runabout with an occasional trip, the Fit would be good. As a commuter or long-distance tourer, it's a bit compromised in my opinion.

The Golf is supposed to be pretty reliable (compared to the late 90's Passats anyway), and if your wife likes it, and since it fits your usage better, that makes it a no-brainer to me.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 AM
In your situation, I would go with the VW. I have a manual fit and it does fine going from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek. Great MPGs going there an back usually 1-2 better then just in town driving so about 36MPGs for me.

It is nice in the manual, I test drove an auto while I was there and I didn't like it. Small 117HP cars with no Torque needs a manual IMO. So, if you are going to go with an auto I would chose the TDI for sure.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
The TDI would be my choice if I lived where you do an (or) felt that I must have an automatic... A couple in their thirties were beside me at a signal light in one with A/T a few years back when people were griping about how they were jerky to drive of from a stop.. When they took off I thought the were wanting to race when the front started spinning.. I could tell that the guy and his lady were both embarrassed, as was my self since it was obvious that he was able to easily walk away from me with very little effort.. That was the day I became obsessed with putting a supercharger kit on my Fit and finally did... I owned 3 Diesel powered VWs in the 80s and early 90s and loved the little torque monsters even if they were rated at 60 BHP... The European cars fit people of Nordic extraction much more comfortably than Asian built cars also... If you have problems with a diesel though, you need some money stashed aside to not get into debt having it fixed.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
If money and reliability is no object for you, definitely get the VW.

No one here bought the Fit because it is the coolest car on the planet. We bought it out of common sense and compromise.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. This is definitely helpful. To address the above - money and reliability are a huge object. We could extend ourselves to get the TDI. However, this would pretty much empty the coffers for expensive unforeseen repairs. So, if we got a bad TDI, we'd be outta luck. If the reliability ratings and reputation were the same as Honda, no worries, we'd get the TDI. We are starting to think that the fact we wouldn't have $ stashed for expensive repairs makes us unqualified VW owners. Still interested ina ll feedback anyone wants to share and thans so much to all responders!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Well Ive only had my fit for a month now. But my wife has a 2007 mk5 Gti. Vw makes good cars. The only problem is the service is ridiculous (expensive) If you get the DSG look to throwing out even more money for service. The car cost way to much to maintain in my eyes for the price. I know they give you the first 35000 mile maintenance free but the ones after that is +++++. Look at throwing 90dollars for oil changes. As you see I just have a problem with the cost to maintain. But the car is fun to drive.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I know a lot of people poo-poo Consumer Reports auto stuff, but for reliability data they're about as good a source as you can get. Their Golf info back to ’07 shows a very reliable vehicle. Only 2 years in that span have any below average items, the '07 for Climate Control and the '10 for Squeaks and Rattles (and Fuel System for the TDI). Based on the '10 TDI (first year model) they expect 20% above average reliability (46% above average for the non-TDI version) for a new one.

For comparison, the Fit has had no below average entries since '07 and is expected to be 60% above average reliability.

Both the Fit and Golf are in their "Most Reliable Small Cars" list. VW as an automaker falls just below the median in reliability, but their spread is huge with the Routan the worst and the standard 5-cylinder Golf the best.

My point is the reliability of the Golf may not be as bad as the perception. A least statistically per CR, the gas Golf is not far behind the Fit. It might be worth holding out for an '11 Golf TDI in hopes that the '10 fuel system issues are improved. After my Passat experience, I would be a bit leery of another Passat, but the Golf is a model I would definitely consider.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
So many members took the time to post great reasoning and advice, I guess that there is just no way I can leave out my 2 cents and sleep at night.

If you look at my Sig, you will notice that I own 2 Fits. I know, I know what kinda nut job buys 2 Fits just for himself?

Very brief background, I bought my 2009 Base Auto Fit as a new Daily Driver to keep the miles outta my Garage Queen (pics are in one of my earlier threads).

It got great miles per gallon and did everything that I expected of it. The funny thing is that the Fit caused me to SELL the Garage Queen. Again, really funny, since I ONLY bought the Fit to keep the miles off my Garage Queen.

You see, before buying the Fit, I have never owned a car that didn't have a V8 under the hood. Even if they were heavy cars, one could always feel their power and I loved that feeling.

Anyways, buying the Fit made me realize that it was more fun to drive a slow car fast, then to drive a fast car slow. It gets really boring having to release the go peddle after just 2-3 seconds or risk being way over the speed limit. The Fit, I can Redline a number of times daily without anyone even noticing.

Thus, I kept my 09 Base as a daily driver, but was now in the market for a new "compact" weekend car. BTW, I keep a weekend car so that when my girlfriend and I go out to the clubs, beach, out with friends I won't be forced to schlep my work tools out of the car or have to clean it right before going out. Really, I know the economy sucks, but I just like having more than 1 car and since I don't have kids yet, why not? One day, more responsibility will kick in so why not enjoy the now?

Ok, ok, I'm getting to the point. Before buying my second Fit (2010 Sport Auto) I really looked at the TDI Golf. I wanted one soo badly for a number of reasons:

-Materials are all first rate (my brother owned a 2006 GTI)
-It was different than my 09 Fit. After all, who really wants two cars so very similar?
-Lastly, and most important to me, was that it was a diesel. I love almost everything about diesel engines. Their torque (remember my passion for V8s?) and even their great MPG.

The only things that I don't like about them is that they are harder to work on (I'm a big DIYer) and expensive to have someone else work them.

I was inches away from buying the TDI but I came to my senses and bought another Fit since I just couldn't justify paying so much more for the TDI, which is also more expensive to operate, and I didn't trust its reliability. My brother's 2006 GTI was at the dealer 23 times during his lease. He got sick of taking time off work taking it back and forth to the dealer and tried to lemon law it, but they kept claiming the it was never the same issue 3 times. He has a family and works his butt off and was simply too busy to fight it so he just delt with it until the lease finally ended.

In the end, I am super happy with my choice. Few better daily drivers than a Fit since they not only get great mpg but also haul heaps of stuff and are cheap to own and operate and I (almost a 3 years after buying my first Fit and almost 1 year since buying my second Fit) still get a smile whenever I drive either of them. Maybe when something else catches my eye, I will trade one of them in, but that day has yet to come.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the steep inclines. The Fit will take you everywhere you need to go, the engine will just get a stonger workout than a v8. After all, whatever road you are ever to face, I am sure countless others have faced in either weaker engines or more powerful ones but with super heavy loads (like old work trucks/ vans/ pickups.)
I'm of the belief that exercising an engine is a good thing. Let the Fit obtain high revs taking you up those hills. You will only do good for your engine (so long as it's warmed to operating temp and you keep up with the maintanance).

Holy Cow this post turned into a rant. I will end it by stating that the only thing I wouldn't want a Fit for is baby seats. Those suckers are HUGE and wouldn't fit well in a Fit or TDI imo.

Good luck and do stick around no matter what you end up with.

Cheers.

Last edited by Shora; 05-03-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM
My roommate and I are both from Colorado. We understand the high altitude driving conditions.
We live in Alaska now.

That said, I own a 2010 Honda Fit. My roommate owns a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.
We both drive the same, neither of us is a leadfoot.

The VW consistently gets 4-5 MPG better than my Honda. (in town) On the highway, he gets almost 10 mpg better than me.
The f/f and materials are noticeably nicer in the VW. (The Sportwagen and Golf only, the new Jetta is not nearly as nice, it's really plasticy. I would not buy a new Jetta, only a Sportwagen or Golf.)

Both cars are very fun to drive.

The Fit is a F1 RPM’er. The TDI is a torque monster. Two more different engines there are not.

I love my Fit. The only reason I didn’t buy a TDI was because I couldn’t afford one. Otherwise I would now be a TDI owner.

If I lived in Crusty Butt I would definitely buy a TDI simply for the power.

Last edited by FitAK; 05-04-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey thanks SO MUCH everyone all of your feedback has been extremely helpful. Once we make a final decision and get a new vehicle I'll be sure to post a pic on this thread. Still open to more input if anyone has anything relevant to share and thanks again to all who have taken the time to do so.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Highcountry
Hi everyone,

First post here. Have read many threads and already found many answers (which create additional questions). In rather low form I'd like to ask you all a few of the questions I've already seen answered in my own personal context (apologies). I would be extremely appreciative if anyone in the know could take a look at my vehicle needs and subsequent questions to provide some informed feedback and advice.

Context:
My wife and I are about to buy our first new vehicle together. This is a huge deal. We are working class and need to make a good decision - we plan on having our next vehicle for 15 years. We test drove the Golf and Jetta S-wagen TDI's, the Fit, the 2012 Focus hatch and the Prius 3. We have narrowed our two choices down to the 2011 Fit and The Golf TDI (over the s-wagen because of vehicle manufacture location and reputation of reliability coming from those two locations).

Vehicle needs:
We live at 9,000 feet in the mountains. We sold her Subaru Legacy and kept my '98 CR-V. The CR-V will serve as the 'when we need clearance' or 'deep snow day' vehicle. My '98 CRV has 200k on it and has been amazing in terms of reliability. I am a Honda fan in that regard.

We want a HIGH fuel economy vehicle for everyday driving. I will be using it for recreational based road trips meaning driving up and over steep passes at altitude with another person and kayaks or bikes - an area in which the TDI will excel compared to the Fit in terms of maintaining speed/power. Also just general commuting/driving and things like work trips - which will also involve mountain passes and high altitude driving. I am ok with a little psuh in the Fit but don't want to be struggling to maintain 50 MPH uphill on the passes all the time.

We need a reliable vehicle because our hard earned dollar cannot afford constant expensive repairs, we want it to last us 15 years and we are 4 hrs away from a VW dealer. I am not a techy guy but realize after reading some TDI forums it seems that VW owners need to be 'more involved' than with other cars. I can get into that...to a point. Ie fuel additives, getting educated about cold starts, religiously changing the t-belt etc. However, I dont realistically see myself getting full-bore into mechanical tinkering and electronics maintenance.

We drove Golf TDI and Fit. No comparison in terms of look, interior feel and most importantly ride. My wife was 'whatever' about Fit (it will work as a non-stimulating conveyance) and excited about the Golf TDI (turned her form an I don't care about cars and would rather bike anyway to I love driving this car). Bottom line, we would rather drive the Golf TDI: If reliability was expected to be the same there would be no contest. Not like we dislike the Fit - it's just not inspiring and fun in comparison.

Golf is obviously about $8 k more expensive, uses more expensive fuel, is more expensive to maintain but gets better fuel economy and hauls uphill. Overall, cost/mi according to consumer reports is $0.44 for the Fit and $0.50 for the Golf TDI. Pretty close. Maintenance and ownership add up to about $6k greater for the Gold TDI over a 5 year period. This is a bit harder to justify just for driving pleasure. Add in the potential reliability issue - $6k more for a less reliable vehicle?

Fit is cheaper and has question-less reliability. Goes from point a to b. Wont cost us much and its gas-n-go. ONLY concern is uphill power and loss of fuel economy at altitude, which would make Selling the Subaru a bad decision. Would love to get your opinions here. We are considering the base AT because there are no MT's left. Would it be worth going to the sport AT to get the paddle shifters - would that help with uphill mountain pass driving significantly?

Can you offer advice - what should we do? Go for the car that we can afford that will potentially loose fuel economy at altitude and possibly disappoint driving over passes but that will not throw us any curve balls we cant afford? On the other hand the Fit COULD kick ass, get us 40 mpg, struggle a bit over passes when totally overloaded but likely be fine with just two people and bikes (who knows)? OR do we overextend ourselves a bit financially to buy a Golf TDI which is a pleasure to drive in confidence that we will get a 'good one' that will not have any reliability issues and last us a long time with proper maintenance? Realize, we are up a creek if expensive repairs come along and will then be car-less.

Any meaningful input appreciated and I would LOVE to hear from folks who are using these in the mountains or at altitude for recreation weekend trips. Is power adequate and does MPG maintain at acceptable level in such conditions?

Lastly, we expect to get 40 MPG hwy driving - is this realistic? Most of our luves are spent at 9,000 feet with driving down to 4 or 5,000 feet.

THANK YOU so much!!!!

While we have half dozen Fits here we do have a couple of diesel Golfs.
1. if the closest VW dealer is 4 hrs away and you don't have a local VW shop forget the Golf no matter how much your wife likes it, she won't for long. The cost and availability of diesel fuel also is a negative. But it will get 8 mpg better than the Fit. Expect 28-32 mpg on the FIT.
2. You expect 15 years but how many miles per year do you drive? we have one Fit here with over 150,000 miles still going strong but if you don't have a Honda dealer or Honda independent shop you might have a problem unless you are a good service person. We generally list Honda 'life' at 200-250k.
3. we find Fits are better bad weather drivers in NC mountains than Golfs mostly because of less weight, which works against you in treacherous conditions. And when having to be extracted.
4. I would recommend the automatic with paddle shifters because they provide much quicker control of gearing than manual, which is an advantage in snow and ice conditions. Just use good snow tires slightly bigger in diameter and narrower than stock tires for better going in snow. Or mud. And we have no problem keeping ahead of traffic in steep mountain passes with our automatic.
5. Aftermarket parts and stuff for Hondas far exceed that for Golfs, especially for carrying rafting gear etc.
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
The German attitude towards vehicle maintenance is more geared towards Germans where cars are maintained religiously.

Japanese makers have more the American mentality in mind. Maintenance? What's that?

That and the current beetle leaves a bad memory for owners with things like expensive halogen bulb replacement (I think you have to disassemble the fender).

I like the idea of high MPG diesels and the higher output due to forced induction but you've got a lot of expensive technology compared to a normally aspirated car. Also diesel is much less expensive in Europe than gasoline so the higher up front cost and maintenance is justified there where here it might not be. I wouldn't be considering 15 years with a TDI. I think the maintenance will sour the deal after 150K where you can soldier on with a Honda at that point.

Tough call. I think the Fit would be seriously underpowered in your area. The only other thing that looks interesting is a Toyota Highlander hybrid, but criminy, $37k!!!? The Jetta or Golf TDI looks like a steal at under $25k gives you the power you need, high MPGs at a reasonable cost. Not to mention Fahrvergnügen.

Last edited by Steve244; 05-04-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Highcountry
Hey thanks SO MUCH everyone all of your feedback has been extremely helpful. Once we make a final decision and get a new vehicle I'll be sure to post a pic on this thread. Still open to more input if anyone has anything relevant to share and thanks again to all who have taken the time to do so.
Just wanted to give you more feedback - I've driven my fit to Lake Tahoe (fully loaded with gear, and people), which goes close to 10K feet a few times and the mountain passes were not an issue. But I do have the 5MT and wasn't sure if you were looking for the auto or not.

One thing I did notice was that using Premium gas does give you noticeably more low-end torque, which you probably would need going up the mountain passes.

I get close to 40 mpg on those mountain roads - seems like the high altitude allows my fit to get better fuel economy than it normally gets.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not going to tell you which to buy, but you need to look at the fact the VW is alot more expensive and diesel is a lot more expensive.

Do the math to figure out how many years it would take you to overcome that price and fuel premium.

Also, in relatively flat areas, I don't think the Fit is gutless. In the mountains, however, it could be considered gutless by some.

I considered a TDI when I bought my Fit and couldn't get my head around all the added cost associated with it. Higher selling price, more expensive fuel, higher maintenance costs, and less resale, and the insurance was alot more.........but only you can decide.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by grant22
I'm not going to tell you which to buy, but you need to look at the fact the VW is alot more expensive and diesel is a lot more expensive.

Do the math to figure out how many years it would take you to overcome that price and fuel premium.
I suspect that it'll never come out as cheaper. The fit is just so inexpensive and reliable that even if something else gets better mpgs, it can't also overcome the lower initial cost. That doesn't necessarily make the fit the correct choice, just the least expensive.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
My buddy has a brand new Golf TDI that he flew out to AZ to pick up from MI (couldn't find the exact car he wanted as far as options) and get this, got well over 600 miles to the tank and the car wasn't even broke in yet! He was getting about 48 mpg on the freeway, getting back to Michigan on 3 tanks of fuel, pretty impressive!

I see you live in higher elevations and maybe some mountains, right, if so can you say TORQUE Larger engine, turbo, direct injection, better mileage=BUY THE GOLF!

Oh yeah, how about that interior on the Golf and those seats, my God the seats!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
I suspect that it'll never come out as cheaper. The fit is just so inexpensive and reliable that even if something else gets better mpgs, it can't also overcome the lower initial cost. That doesn't necessarily make the fit the correct choice, just the least expensive.

It could make it the correct choice if the owner(s) can't afford the higher initial cost, higher interest rate, diesel fillups, more expensive maintenance, and higher insurance. These are all things that need to be examined, not just initial cost. That's why I stated I couldn't tell them which car to buy.

Like I also said, I was looking at both cars (my commute is relatively flat) but the added expenses made me remove the VW from my list. It seems like a great motor choice and may work for Colorado really well, though. I dunno, tho. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by FitAK
My roommate and I are both from Colorado. We understand the high altitude driving conditions.
We live in Alaska now.

That said, I own a 2010 Honda Fit. My roommate owns a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.
We both drive the same, neither of us is a leadfoot.

The VW consistently gets 4-5 MPG better than my Honda. (in town) On the highway, he gets almost 10 mpg better than me.
The f/f and materials are noticeably nicer in the VW. (The Sportwagen and Golf only, the new Jetta is not nearly as nice, it's really plasticy. I would not buy a new Jetta, only a Sportwagen or Golf.)

Both cars are very fun to drive.

The Fit is a F1 RPM’er. The TDI is a torque monster. Two more different engines there are not.

I love my Fit. The only reason I didn’t buy a TDI was because I couldn’t afford one. Otherwise I would now be a TDI owner.

If I lived in Crusty Butt I would definitely buy a TDI simply for the power.

That is what I call it too. LOL

Quick Reply: Golf TDI vs Fit for CO 30's couple - help us decide!