2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

TPMS on custom wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS on custom wheels

Just a quick question. Have 2010 Base with steel wheels and looking at purchasing alloy rims for my 15" tires, so question is can I remove the TPMS on each steel wheel and install on new 15" alloy rims? Would try to find rims similar to steel size. Then, must I go to dealer to have the TPMS valves reprogrammed to ECU, or is this something I could do myself--without buying a lot of special tools. Is this possible or not? Appreciate any info. Many Thanks,
John

Last edited by yuwan63755; 04-28-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: asking additional question before anyone viewed
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
John, there is no need to reprogram your swapped tpms sensors. You can use your current tpms sensors and transfer them onto your new wheels but, you have to use a tpms service kit (seals and new valve core) in order to transfer them onto the new alloy wheels.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Many thanks for your rapid and kind information. So, the kit is something I can buy from dealer or is this something I can purchase at local auto parts store or tire store? Again, many thanks. John

Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Its expensive, just put some tape over the TPMS light and drive with your new wheels IMO

Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by britdevine
Its expensive, just put some tape over the TPMS light and drive with your new wheels IMO
what is expensive? britdevine if you want to drive with ugly electric tape over your gauges do that but, please do not muck up something where you have no information or just lack the knowledge to the original poster's question.

as for the tpms service kit, its a cheap kit you can obtain at the dealer or you can just pick some up online on some generic brand. either option is good and most tire shops will only charge you a small fee to transfer the tmps sensors to your new wheels.

i bought my service kit here. this link will take you to the exact service kit specific to your fit.
Dill TPMS Service Kit (D-2040K): All Tire Supply Company

Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
John, there is no need to reprogram your swapped tpms sensors. You can use your current tpms sensors and transfer them onto your new wheels but, you have to use a tpms service kit (seals and new valve core) in order to transfer them onto the new alloy wheels.
Its not an absolute must to use a TPMS service kit; mind you, its good to replace those several years/thousand miles down the road but not needed. Simply removing the sensors from the factory wheel and transferring them to another wheel will suffice.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks both of you for the great information. I will check on the kit. I only have 2,400 miles on my base and bought it Oct.1, 2010. Usually drive my rodeo or kawasaki 900LT here in Mexico, as roads are not that wonderful. If I need buy a kit, then I will do so. Originals should still be in good condition, as car has never been driven in snow or even rain and is garaged most of the time. Again, many thanks for your helpful and kind responses. John

Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
Make sure the TPMS sensors are physically compatible with the aftermarket rim. They need to be flat against the rim or else you will be leaking air and having the TPMS light constantly popping up.

Its better to leave the TPMS sensors on the stockies than on the aftermarket rims; that is if you can deal with the TPMS light on all the time.

Last edited by Neebs; 04-29-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neebs
Make sure the TPMS sensors are physically compatible with the aftermarket rim. They need to be flat against the rim or else you will be leaking air and having the TPMS light constantly popping up.
That is a partially false statement. Some after market wheels have the indentation for the sensors in them just like the factory wheels and others do not. It is possible to get the sensor to mount on a non-TPMS designed wheel, here is a video proving so. And just for the record, it looks like the tech/person installing the sensor didn't torque the sensor down on the wheel yet; so, that may be the cause of it wiggling slightly.

YouTube - Episode #85 - Honda Fit TPMS Sensors in Older Wheels

As far as the whether the sensor will cause air to leak out and causing the flat tire/TPMS to come on, the rubber seals will seal against the drop section (were the electronics portion/black plastic unit of the sensor is located) of the wheel once torqued to spec.

Last edited by Hootie; 04-29-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your input and video of removal and installation on alternate rims. Appreciate it. John

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
That is a partially false statement. Some after market wheels have the indentation for the sensors in them just like the factory wheels and others do not. It is possible to get the sensor to mount on a non-TPMS designed wheel, here is a video proving so. And just for the record, it looks like the tech/person installing the sensor didn't torque the sensor down on the wheel yet; so, that may be the cause of it wiggling slightly.

YouTube - Episode #85 - Honda Fit TPMS Sensors in Older Wheels

As far as the whether the sensor will cause air to leak out and causing the flat tire/TPMS to come on, the rubber seals will seal against the drop section (were the electronics portion/black plastic unit of the sensor is located) of the wheel once torqued to spec.
That video doesn't show any aftermarket rims. Only the OEM HFPs, and '07 Fit wheels that has been painted to a different color. The HFPs are made by Honda and are not aftermarket, so the sensor is bound to fit the HFPs. The video is basically showing the TPMS being put on older model Honda Fit wheels.

I'm not sure what part of my statement is false, every aftermarket rim fitment are not constructed the same as stock Honda wheels that the sensor fit snugly on. Tirerack.com wouldn't sell TPMS sensors if the Honda TPMS sensor is compatible on the aftermarket rims they're selling.

The sensor may or may not fit on the aftermarket rims. The people I know that have aftermarket rims, left the TPMS on the stockies.

Last edited by Neebs; 04-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neebs
That video doesn't show any aftermarket rims. Only the OEM HFPs, and '07 Fit wheels that has been painted to a different color. The HFPs are made by Honda and are not aftermarket, so the sensor is bound to fit the HFPs. The video is basically showing the TPMS being put on older model Honda Fit wheels.

I'm not sure what part of my statement is false, every aftermarket rim fitment are not constructed the same as stock Honda wheels that the sensor fit snugly on. Tirerack.com wouldn't sell TPMS sensors if the Honda TPMS sensor is compatible on the aftermarket rims they're selling.

The sensor may or may not fit on the aftermarket rims. The people I know that have aftermarket rims, left the TPMS on the stockies.
I know the video doesn't show after market wheels but it does show sensors being mounted on wheels that were not designed for TPMS. In addition to that, Tire Rack would indeed offer sell the sensors with wheels and the same with Discount Tire, Firestone, and other places if it could make another buck from the customer or if they happened to break a sensor during removal/install (at which point would require you to get the system reset due to a new sensor being introduced).

Plus, there was a representative on here from Tire Rack that was suggesting wheel fitments that didn't work to people but that is another story.

Now, if you were watching carefully (and listening) it is clear that they used the 2007 HFP for the initial sensor fitment, which is not designed for TPMS so there is no indentation at all. Heck, they even showed that the sensor wiggled in the 2007 HFP. It was for 2008 that the HFP was resigned to be used with TPMS.

Any OEM wheel for an '08 and onward made by Honda any every other auto manufacturer is designed for TPMS due to a US government mandate, but only a select few that were for '07 and prior years have TPMS sensor indentions which were usually for the higher end models like the Ridgeline, Pilot, etc.

I do agree that not every after market wheel complies with Honda or whoever's specs but there are after market wheels out there that do feature sensor indentation. If I recall correctly, Beyern and Team Dynamics are two that offer wheels with them.

Also, I too know a few people (3 in fact) with TPMS equipped Fits that have and after market wheels installed...

One person with a '08 GD didn't install the sensors in their wheels and deals with the TPMS light, the other person I helped install the sensors in a set of non-TPMS after market wheels on their '09 GE, and my '08 GD still has its factory sensors in after market wheels. So far I've clocked over 38.5k miles with the sensors in the wheels and they still work fine despite not having the sensor indention in the wheels.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I can see the HFPs are non-TPMS and the '08 GD wheels are TPMS sensored. In fact, I saw that video that several times over the course that it was made.

Yes, all rims have that indentation at the lip. When you put that sensor against the indentation it is going to fit at that point, but it is hanging ~half-inch off the rim when it should be lying flat because of the angle of indentation - lifting the sensor up (video doesn't show that). I'll let you be imaginative to what would happen if the sensor isn't flat.

I left my TPMS sensors off my 16" Sprint Hart CPRs because it wasn't fitting right on the rims, and I don't want to pay $150 for for a new set, and fees take the wheels off to replace them. I can reprogram the TPMS sensors myself.

Look you can say my argument is incorrect. Theres people's TPMS sensors that doesn't fit on their aftermarkt rims and do have them fit.

Last edited by Neebs; 04-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned
I've put 2002-2005 civic accessory rims on 2 of my base Fits. Just had them swap the sensors over. First time was at the dealer and they charged me $79.

Second time on my 2011 base Fit I just took them to my favorite tire place (wheel medic) and they charged my $15 per wheel and that included swapping the sensors.

No issues with the TPMS. Its not that big of a deal. Now if I could only figure out how to have a seperate set of wheels with snow tires and sensors.

Last edited by Chad T; 05-01-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Chad, thanks for information. So, I assume the TPMS worked fine with the civic wheels. That is good news, cause I will probably go to junk yard here in Mexico (home for most 2005 and lower USA cars) and see if I can find something to fit my 2010 base. Looking for something that is not too expensive, as they will get stolen here if they look too nice. Again, many thanks. John

Old 05-01-2011, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chad T
Now if I could only figure out how to have a seperate set of wheels with snow tires and sensors.
If I heard my tech and recall correctly the Fit's TPMS can only acknowledge 1 complete set of sensors unfortunately. I'm not 100% sure on it though and can't confirm because I don't have access to a shop manual to double check.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 PM
It is interesting. I am trying to purchase the services kit at the dealer, they said there is no services kit for that. It is only have the sensor. Is it the part that they don't sell separate? They told me it will be $54 dollars each and it is not included the washer and stuff at the tip. Did anyone knows about it? I get confuse.... Hmmm....

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
First: Make a new thread. This one was dead LONG ago.

Second: Yes, there is no "service kit" for Hondas/Acuras with Tire Pressure Monitoring System. There is just a sensor, a washer, and a metal cap that threads onto the outer threads of the valve stem and tightens the sensor against the wheel. Each part I mentioned is sold separately. I hope this answers your question. ^.^

Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM
FYI... you dont need TPMS in your new wheels. As long as you dont mind viewing the TPMS light... it will work fine. This is what I do with my winter wheels/tires. Only thing is: you cannot deactivate VSA when TPMS light is on... which is no problem in the winter anyways since you want it on.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Oye, dead thread is dead.

[/mods please lock]

Quick Reply: TPMS on custom wheels