2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GE8 Swift Spring No-Rub Wheel & Tire Specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
I say, once you think they've settled... swap sides. Then it should all even out. I might do that one of these days.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I love my Swifts too! Wouldn't trade them for the world.

Found this on a Civic site, and it helps me make sense of this:

Originally posted by tekgnosis
Spazzball: (DnarahP)

It's the way the OEM setup is designed: they have the front drivers side sit stiffer/higher so that when a driver gets in, it is almost corner balanced.

This is one thing I've read.

Another thing I've read is that it's because of the way the engine sits. It sits closer to the drivers side, so they beef up the drivers side spring.

But, aftermarket springs don't account for this, so they make both sides the same, which results in your car being lower on the drivers side. I had the same thing with my sedan, and I've noticed it on countless 7thgen civics.

No worries d00d!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
so a 17x7 +38 with 195/45/17 will rub on my 11 AT ?? on swifts anyways? i mean i ran +10 on my old civics and crx's and didnt have issues. had to roll the inner fender lip but that was it. was no pulling or anyhting to the body! these fits have seriously crazy issues wuth wheel fitment i see. driving me freaking crazy!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jango_Fit
so a 17x7 +38 with 195/45/17 will rub on my 11 AT ?? on swifts anyways? i mean i ran +10 on my old civics and crx's and didnt have issues. had to roll the inner fender lip but that was it. was no pulling or anyhting to the body! these fits have seriously crazy issues wuth wheel fitment i see. driving me freaking crazy!
Yes. Can't run a +38 with Swifts, or any spring that's lower, without rubbing. There's one guy that added his specs to the list in my original post, +38 with no rubbing, but all of us running +40 and higher call BS. I'm thinking about removing it from the list since I have yet to see the truth in that without rolling the fenders.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Are there any after market springs that account for the driver side sitting lower?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Springs for the Fit are sold in pairs

Originally Posted by xSimply
Are there any after market springs that account for the driver side sitting lower?
Think about what you're asking from a manufacturer. Drivers come in all shapes, sizes and weights. That's what you're asking the mfg to compensate for. How would they be able to predict that? 1st order of business is the front/rear weight distribution. That's a given depending whether the engine is in the front, mid or rear. Then there is the weight of the transmission, whether it be AT or MT, etc.

When you look up the factory replacement springs for the Fit, there is one part # for the front and one part # for the rear, and the quantity specified is 2. Now, the Civic DOES have a different L/R front spring, but the rear springs are the same. Do not read that to mean the springs won't settle in over time and sag on the driver side. Again, you'd be asking said mfg to be able to predict the weight of their potential drivers/customers.

Last edited by Jim2bFit; 01-24-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Clarified some talking points
Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Oh I love my Swifts too! Wouldn't trade them for the world.

Found this on a Civic site, and it helps me make sense of this:

Originally posted by tekgnosis
Spazzball: (DnarahP)

It's the way the OEM setup is designed: they have the front drivers side sit stiffer/higher so that when a driver gets in, it is almost corner balanced.

This is one thing I've read.

Another thing I've read is that it's because of the way the engine sits. It sits closer to the drivers side, so they beef up the drivers side spring.

But, aftermarket springs don't account for this, so they make both sides the same, which results in your car being lower on the drivers side. I had the same thing with my sedan, and I've noticed it on countless 7thgen civics.
Lowkey - I know you're just referencing the post above, but it doesn't apply to the Fit. I'm going to paste what I just wrote in reference to another post...

Think about what you're asking from a manufacturer. Drivers come in all shapes, sizes and weights. That's what you're asking the mfg to compensate for. How would they be able to predict that? 1st order of business is the front/rear weight distribution. That's a given depending whether the engine is in the front, mid or rear. Then there is the weight of the transmission, whether it be AT or MT, etc.

When you look up the factory replacement springs for the Fit, there is one part # for the front and one part # for the rear, and the quantity specified is 2. Now, the Civic DOES have a different L/R front spring, but the rear springs are the same. Do not read that to mean the springs won't settle in over time and sag on the driver side. Again, you'd be asking said mfg to be able to predict the weight of their potential drivers/customers.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
I need some advice. When I bought my wheels and tires I hadn't planned on lowering the car at all. But the idea has since warmed up on me and I am planning on getting Swifts. So my setup right now is 205/50/16 with +42 16x7 wheels. Would you recommend I get new tires (195) or just live with the occasional rub. Or am I just crazy and get some other springs that has a more milder drop than the swifts.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
since you already have the wheels and tires... you might as well use them.

so your options really are do you want to get a milder drop or live with the occasional rubbing.

Well... it's actually kinda doubtful you're gonna find many that do a milder drop. At 1.2"/1" for the Swifts, most springs drop as much or more than the Swifts. And then, if you do find springs that don't lower it as much... will you appreciate them? I mean on one hand, will the springs give you the "performance" you're looking for? On the other hand, will the springs give you the look you're going for?

Personally, I would get the Swifts and then see how much rubbing you do get. While my wheels have a higher offset than yours, at +43, it isn't much more. And as I have mentioned many times, I do rub with my 205/50/16 tires, but only if my wheel takes a bump while turning.

Once the tires have worn down a bit, it'll stop rubbing. I haven't noticed any rubbing in a while.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
I suggest moving to the 195's

Originally Posted by blassty
I need some advice. When I bought my wheels and tires I hadn't planned on lowering the car at all. But the idea has since warmed up on me and I am planning on getting Swifts. So my setup right now is 205/50/16 with +42 16x7 wheels. Would you recommend I get new tires (195) or just live with the occasional rub. Or am I just crazy and get some other springs that has a more milder drop than the swifts.
  • 1st, the drop on the Swifts is about as mild as you're going to find. Most other MFG's are slightly lower.
  • 2nd, if you stay with the 205/50/16 with a +42 offset, you WILL rub, and it will be quite a bit more than occasional - more like frequently.
  • 3rd, yes, I suggest using a 195 series with a +42 offset and the Swift springs - then you might be in the occasional rub zone.

I hope that helps.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
While my wheels have a higher offset than yours, at +43, it isn't much more. And as I have mentioned many times, I do rub with my 205/50/16 tires, but only if my wheel takes a bump while turning.

Once the tires have worn down a bit, it'll stop rubbing. I haven't noticed any rubbing in a while.
I've had my Swifts for about a year and a half. At the 6 month point I upgraded my chassis/tire setup. The offset on my Rota's is +45, and I'm rubbing more often now with my 205's than last summer when the chassis/tire upgrades were new. I'm really stressing my springs pretty hard since I've eliminated most of the chassis flex/twist with my 3 chassis braces, and I drive the crap out of my Fit since I'm thoroughly used to the new handling limits. So much grip (and not enough power to get in trouble) that it's silly. My guess is that my Swifts have settled even more because of the hard driving. Even with my +45 offset, I will be going with a 195 series tire next time. I'll be lucky if I get 25k out of the tires the way I've been rat racing this thing around town. If I don't get a ticket first...

Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'm kicking myself hard now because I just bought the 205's late last year and I've only tallied about 500 or less miles on them. >.<

Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blassty
I'm kicking myself hard now because I just bought the 205's late last year and I've only tallied about 500 or less miles on them. >.<
I know it's no consolation, but you wouldn't be the first impulsive member in these forums...

You could just ride it out and plan to do the springs with a 195 tire change once your 205's are worn out. Or you could pull the trigger on new rubber and get the 205's off ASAP and sell them as barely used through the forum. I sold my stock sport wheels to a guy that put them on a 2005 Civic Coupe. The 205/50/16 is used on a couple of domestic vehicles, so you've got some options. Craig's list might get them a buyer pretty quick too.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Jim2bFit, thank you for always getting back to us on this thread. You really have been helpful and full of good information.

Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
I know it's no consolation, but you wouldn't be the first impulsive member in these forums...

You could just ride it out and plan to do the springs with a 195 tire change once your 205's are worn out. Or you could pull the trigger on new rubber and get the 205's off ASAP and sell them as barely used through the forum. I sold my stock sport wheels to a guy that put them on a 2005 Civic Coupe. The 205/50/16 is used on a couple of domestic vehicles, so you've got some options. Craig's list might get them a buyer pretty quick too.
Wouldn't it be cheaper though just to roll the fenders, than to take a loss on the tires? It seems like there is alot more selection in the 205 category. The only decent tire I can find w/ a 195/45/17 size is the Nitto S Drive.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Jim2bFit, thank you for always getting back to us on this thread. You really have been helpful and full of good information.

Wouldn't it be cheaper though just to roll the fenders, than to take a loss on the tires? It seems like there is alot more selection in the 205 category. The only decent tire I can find w/ a 195/45/17 size is the Nitto S Drive.
I suppose so, but I never suggest rolling the fenders since I don't know how committed a person might be. That kind of goes beyond "bolt on" for most people, and some like to stay as close to stock as possible in case they decide to sell or trade-in their car.

Blassty's setup is is 205/50/16 with +42 16x7 wheels, so there are a couple more tire options at 195/50/16, which is where you would go for a 16"

Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
The answer to the question you've all been waiting for .....

I haven't had many/if any issues w/ rubbing on a +40 offset. It kisses the plastic on really hard corners and huge bumps. However, I drive like a grandma so it's no matter to me. I was planning on rolling the fenders but the performance shop I use said it wouldn't even be needed unless it bothered me in those rare instances.

New shoes (Konig Feather 17x7 +40) (Yokohama S-Drive 195/45/17):

Front:

Back:

Last edited by lowkeymods; 03-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM
not bad^

lower would make it look even nicer

Last edited by FIT-tles Worth; 03-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Not any more than it already is w/ the Swifts until I need to replace shocks/struts, then maybe coilovers.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
here, use these with -1.5 or a tad more negative camber and get your toe aligned. im using zero toe.

top bolt used.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
^^this tip was for me. Thanks Kenchan. I am still considering the Swifts. So with these camber bolts, I would have less rubbing? This gives me a 3rd option, with the other two being 2) rolling fenders, 1) getting new tires 195/50/16.

Edit: to clarify further, I am having no issues with my wheels and tire size at stock suspension / height (16x7, +42, 205/50/16, no Swifts)

Last edited by blassty; 09-17-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: GE8 Swift Spring No-Rub Wheel & Tire Specs