2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can Honda 'Cooperize' the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Can Honda 'Cooperize' the Fit?

I may be coming into a little bonus, and I've been thinking about upgrading my everyday ride. MiniCoopers came to mind, but a little research shows that they aren't significantly faster, safer or better handlers than a Fit, and they cost a bunch, have scattered, incompetent dealers, and aren't as stone reliable as a Honda.
What I'm thinking of is an upmarket Fit; heated leather, handling package, HID lights, improved sound deadening and enough horse to get the 0-60 under 8 seconds, keep the great gas mileage. No boy racer crap here; if you want an aero package and radically slammed suspension, make it a dealer option (or do it yourself, as many do now).
Older folks like myself would consider a little plusher version of the Fit as either a commuter or shorter trip car (make it a little better freeway runner), and my Bride could quit grousing about a lack of amenities when we take the 'little' car. I'm aiming at a more mature, sophisticated market here.
Maybe think of it as an Acura version of the Fit if not a Cooperized one, but however you do it, keep it under $20k. Bet they'd sell some; they could sell one to me. What do you think?
Moon

Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
For the time being you will have to buy a euro fit or a japanese one to get the amenities that many of us here are modding our cars to get... Panoramic sunroofs, heated and folding side view mirrors. Leather, more ambient lighting, hid's (not sure about that one). More kit options. You name it, we won't get it.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
For the time being you will have to buy a euro fit or a japanese one to get the amenities that many of us here are modding our cars to get... Panoramic sunroofs, heated and folding side view mirrors. Leather, more ambient lighting, hid's (not sure about that one). More kit options. You name it, we won't get it.
Why not, in your opinion? Gas is hitting $4 @, and lots of folks will be looking to downsize, but not necessarily down content, their cars.
While I have a world of admiration for the work some here do on their cars, and I'm not above some minor mods, I want something economical and fun to drive. I don't especially want to make it my life's work, or a hobby. (I have the Jeep for some of that stuff, but it isn't my daily transportation anymore, either.)
Honda may listen if we talk. The current Fit has been around awhile, so they may be willing to spiff it up a little.
Moon

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 04-25-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Imho, I think a lot of americans consider a small car a compromise and once this car gets add ons it will quickly find itself competing against larger, more powerful, and sometimes better equiped cars. A fit sport with the items I mentioned could reasonably sell for 20-22k...at that point it is competing with a whole lot of cars including its own (civic si. Accord)

Automakers usually like pigeon holing their cars.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Why not, in your opinion? Gas is hitting $4 @, and lots of folks will be looking to downsize, but not necessarily down content, their cars.
While I have a world of admiration for the work some here do on their cars, and I'm not above some minor mods, I want something economical and fun to drive. I don't especially want to make it my life's work.
Honda may listen if we talk.
Moon
It would be hard to tart up the fit too much without edging into the civic price and feature range though. A Civic EX-L is only $23k. A plush Fit would top $20k, because it would be bundled with the nav package. Not that there's much wrong with that in theory; certainly I would have liked heated leather seats and a slightly quieter ride. I just don't think that there's much demand for a more expensive econobox.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Only thing the fit needs is a factory installed sunroof option

Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
It would be hard to tart up the fit too much without edging into the civic price and feature range though. A Civic EX-L is only $23k. A plush Fit would top $20k, because it would be bundled with the nav package. Not that there's much wrong with that in theory; certainly I would have liked heated leather seats and a slightly quieter ride. I just don't think that there's much demand for a more expensive econobox.
You must be a British car enthusiast judging by your use of the term "tart up".. I saw that term used in a Jaguar XK120 repair manual in regards to not overly polishing the cam covers and tarting them up. Most people here on FitFreak will spend a fortune on eye candy but at the same time post page after page of how it is a waste of money to use premium fuel in their cars because it is just an economy car... I wouldn't mind seeing a model that has less features but that just wouldn't go over well at all in the U.S. and the same for a more expensive luxury version of an economy car...

Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, an upscale model would be contrary to what the Fit is, a subcompact economy car, they have to keep it competitive in it's class. Even the Navi version alone pushes the price up way too much and it doesn't help that supply is lower than other Honda models.

What I truly hope to see in the next 1 or 2 generations is a true Fit SI model, even something like a sporty hybrid such as the CRZ. It does seem that Honda is moving away from true performance cars, however...

Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
thanks to the crz... the fit will remain an econo box. what to watch tho and is in the works (or as what i've heard) is a k20 crz and maybe a boosted r18

Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM
The CRZ is the "tarted up" Fit. The CRZ can come with leather, sunroof, two doors, etc. The only thing it comes without is all the space. All those options push it past $20k though.

Look out for the Fiat 500, those cars are the real mini alternative.
OR else a Ford Fiesta with all its gizmos. OR just buy a Golf, make it a TDi for the fuel efficiency.
OR find a used RSX / Integra

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Everybody is talking about the fiat 500 all of sudden. I didn't even know fiat still sold cars in the US. I really am a know nothin'.

Back on topic. It's one thing to add nice options to a fit but if you add weight and lose fuel economy, you don't have a fit any more. I think the car is near perfect the way it is. You can find fuel efficient cars that have more options, nicer material, quieter ride, etc. Why ruin a good thing?

Last edited by know-nothin; 04-25-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Unfortunately, an upscale model would be contrary to what the Fit is, a subcompact economy car, they have to keep it competitive in it's class. Even the Navi version alone pushes the price up way too much and it doesn't help that supply is lower than other Honda models.
I'd have to agree & disagree. Subcompact refers to it's size, economy refers to the capability of saving money (Primarily on fuel). Luxury could fit in there accordingly. People have said for years the civic is an economy car, yet there is an EX-L and canada has the CSX. for some reason, in the US, the mindset is that a luxury car has to be big, have loads of power and suck gas down like there is no tomorrow because only rich people can afford that stuff... and only rich people deserve luxury. The question is will the US public buy into the economical luxury market. Other parts of the world have the fit with auto climate control, leather(I believe), the panoramic roof, and other luxuries. Heck, you can get the Versa with Leather from the factory. If we were to look at the civic as an upgrade, the heated leather trim adds about $1450 to the price of the Civic EX which also includes heated power mirrors. I'd say to expect about a $2200 premium over the Sport trim level on the FIT to include an upgraded battery (for the heated seats), likely auto Climate, and the heated side mirrors (along with some sound deadening). That would put MSRP around $19-$20K and most won't pay MSRP. For $18-19K, I think there would be enough people who'd consider it.

~SB

Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Everybody is talking about the fiat 500 all of sudden. I didn't even know fiat still sold cars in the US. I really am a know nothin'.
Fiat's return to the US market is just now happening with the 500 - it's really more a matter of Fiat buying up Chrysler.

I'll stick with the Fit, thankyouverymuch.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 AM
For $23K you can get a Nissan Juke with a decently powerful engine (188hp), moonroof, heated leather seats, climate control, sat-rad, 6-speed manual, 4-wheel discs, and so on. If you want a $20,000 car, you're going to get $20,000 worth of car.

The Coopers are significantly faster unless they have the base engine.

I will point out that a Fiesta Automatic with heated leather seats, moonroof, smart key, yada yada, is $20,780. Row your own gears with the six-speed and it's $19,635. Read the following posts for a million excuses why people would be willing to pay for these features in a Ford but not a Honda... ;-)

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Occam
For $23K you can get a Nissan Juke with a decently powerful engine (188hp), moonroof, heated leather seats, climate control, sat-rad, 6-speed manual, 4-wheel discs, and so on. If you want a $20,000 car, you're going to get $20,000 worth of car.

The Coopers are significantly faster unless they have the base engine.

I will point out that a Fiesta Automatic with heated leather seats, moonroof, smart key, yada yada, is $20,780. Row your own gears with the six-speed and it's $19,635. Read the following posts for a million excuses why people would be willing to pay for these features in a Ford but not a Honda... ;-)
Good points all. I'll take a longer look at the Juke, but have never been charmed by Nissans, especially for looks or reliability. Maybe time for a second assessment, how's the mileage?
It was the base Min I was using for a reference in an effort to keep the numbers down...not sure what real-world prices are like, but I recall MSRP climbing pretty steeply if you get the better models.
Looked at a Fiesta; if the sporty aspect is foremost, and not Fit 'haul the world' practicality, then the little Ford is a good option. Entirely concur that the tarted up Fiesta is pretty much the image I had for the upmarket Fit.
Again, if Honda doesn't want to do it for the H-brand in this country, then make an A-brand of it.
Moon

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I would LOVE a more upscale Fit! Right now I have a 2004 Mini Cooper, and I love the car to death...but have a feeling it's going to have a lot of problems in the future, and will be too expensive to repair them all. I've had a few problems covered under warranty, but now that it's up, I fear major repairs. I love the options offered on the MINI, but they do drive the cost up a lot-still, I wish Honda would at least offer a few things-leather, moonroof, heated seats, bluetooth...I'll miss these if I sell my car. If these were an option, I'd buy a Fit today-the handling is fairly comparable to my MINI, and the room it has is incredible. I'd gladly buy a $22-26K Fit over a $22-26K Civic, because the Fit just seems like a better car to me. Cars like the Focus, Fiesta, Kia Soul, Hyundai Elantra etc. all can be optioned with leather, keyless start, heated seats, some have unique features like the parallel parking in the Focus. 3 Years ago the Fit was perfectly fine without offering these features, but I feel like now is the time to start offering more as the competition is increasing.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
I agree-- sunroof & leather upholstery options would be great.
After being spoiled by the leather seats and sunroof on my previous car (Subaru), I almost opted for an aftermarket sunroof. However the huge windshield and front triangle windows give the Fit a very open & airy feeling, so it is not as important to me any more.

These days Bluetooth could almost be considered a safety feature.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda is nt a company that goes out on a limb. Theyre not innovators in the marketplace for the most part, preferring to stick with refinement of proven technologies and plans. The Fit would never have appeared if it hadn't been for the Yaris hatch. They typically stand back and see how competitors do I'm a field before venturing out. 10 years ago it was GM continuing with proven applications such as the Cam-in-block engines and 4-speed automatics. Now that 6-speeds are becoming the norm and Direct gasoline injection is the new hotness, Honda and Toyota are playing it safe with less exciting but proven technology.

The domestics are great at pushing new technologies to the market, an sometimes they deliver them prematurely (V-4-6-8 anyone?). Honda had a reputation as a very 'leading edge' sort of carmaker back when variable valve timing and DOHC cam engines were something special. I hate to see them become the company that sticks with what works and let's others lead the way.

But I digress.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Why not DIY?

Let’s say:
$18,500 for Fit Sport, A/T, w/Navi
$1,300 for power moonroof (some people have put one in that look great IMO, search for pics)
$1,300 for leather seat covers all around & nice floor mats
$500 for sound deadening professionally installed (more of a guess than others)
$200 for HID lights

Totals $21,800 for the car, with no mechanical improvements.

Acura wouldn’t put out a $20K car, and Honda wouldn’t bother to sell the car for $20K, they may consider one for $22K, but what’s the point? They aren’t losing out on many sales.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Some people (myself one of them) are not DIY people, and prefer the simplified process of simply ordering it with the car. Plus that way it becomes part of the loan, and it's covered under the vehicle's warranty.

Having said that, I'll start looking for a reputable place for some of the DIY stuff should I buy a Fit, as I am interested in leather, heated seats, etc. I'd rather have it as an option from Honda though.

Quick Reply: Can Honda 'Cooperize' the Fit?