2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Fuel Consumption

Hey, I'm just wondering about the fuel consumption of your Fit. I own a 2009 Fit, not the sport edition. Automatic and I only drive in the city, rarely on highways; if something on faster roads with speed limit 45 but that's like once or twice a week.

I wrote about this on hubpages too.

Honda Fit's Fuel Consumption

Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I got a lifetime of 36 mpg in my 2008 Fit sport with manual with a best of 42. I drive my new Civic auto and get 38-40 summer and 32 -35 winter. I drive 55 miles a day mostly highway driving 60-80 mph with about 12 miles of city driving. Typically short trips hurt mpg and need to drive for more than 10 miles before mpg goes up due to warm up and stop and start cycles. My wifes civic she get 24 mpg due to short trips.

Try different gasolines, it can make a big difference in mpg. Dont leave the defrosters on and over use of the headlights puts a load on the motor that reduces mpg.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Don't the headlights remain on all the times. I don't mean full beams but as soon as I turn on my 2009 Fit, the lights turn on automatically to some extent.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Fuel brand (so long as it's regular) hasn't meant squat to me.

Lifetime of 41mpg, and best of 47.4mpg.....even with winter tires this winter.

2009 Honda Fit Base (Honda Fit) | Fuelly

I pulled the fuse for the on-all-the-time headlights withint he first 50 miles.

I air my tires to 49psi and practice the basic of hypermiling. Give is a shot!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polak001djkk
Don't the headlights remain on all the times. I don't mean full beams but as soon as I turn on my 2009 Fit, the lights turn on automatically to some extent.
Daylight running lights dont use that much power compared to the headlights. I just turn on the marker lights until I have too turn on the headlights about 30 minutes after sunset. There is some hyper milers driving techniques that help but any thing that requires turning off the motor while moving is very dangerous and stupid, the only time I will shut down the car is at a slow train.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I do not shut off the engine while coasting, or even stopped for that matter, but to each his own.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bster13
Fuel brand (so long as it's regular) hasn't meant squat to me.

Lifetime of 41mpg, and best of 47.4mpg.....even with winter tires this winter.

2009 Honda Fit Base (Honda Fit) | Fuelly

I pulled the fuse for the on-all-the-time headlights withint he first 50 miles.

I air my tires to 49psi and practice the basic of hypermiling. Give is a shot!
Congratulation, you are getting 25 percent better mpg then the average for that car. Putting 49 psi in the tires is a good way to add about 30+ miles to the car you did not drive per tank. I've seen that on the ultra gauge at 5 pounds over. I believe your getting around 37-38 true mpg and thats still very good. Is the snow tires the same size tire or you will throw off the odometer and is it rated for 55 psi? Running 49 cold is about 55 or higher hot which can cause a blow out because the middle of the tire overheats and wears faster to cause the tire to split.

I hypermiling too, and will pull the daytime running lights fuse.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
MPG from the EPA is based on a standardized test, but it may not reflect your actual result depending on your driving techniques, conditions including things like fuel (the ubiquitious E10 will result in 10% less MPG).

But it's still extremely useful if you properly use it as a standardized comparative measure.

So, for example, if you get 20% under EPA in your FIT, you most likely did not get a lemon. If you get any other car, you will also likely be 20% lower for that car too.

So don't compare your results to other people's results as the driver's technique and conditions are variables. You should instead compare MPG with the other cars you drive, to lock down all the other variables.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
I do not shut off the engine while coasting, or even stopped for that matter, but to each his own.
Thats good because it can cause heat soaking problems that will cause motor problems later. A slow train means 15 minutes or longer otherwise I dont turn off the motor. That happens about twice a year.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
MPG from the EPA is based on a standardized test, but it may not reflect your actual result depending on your driving techniques, conditions including things like fuel (the ubiquitious E10 will result in 10% less MPG).

But it's still extremely useful if you properly use it as a standardized comparative measure.

So, for example, if you get 20% under EPA in your FIT, you most likely did not get a lemon. If you get any other car, you will also likely be 20% lower for that car too.

So don't compare your results to other people's results as the drivers and conditions are variables. You should instead compare MPG with the other cars you drive, to lock down all the other variables.
Good points, I used to over fill my tires but learned that it adds miles to car and helps Honda meets its mpg rating at the same time getting you out of warranty faster. I was comparing all the Fits averages on the Fuelly website. I get about 10/15 percent better that the average for the Civics on the same website. Gasoline is different in different states and thats where the btus come from that move the cars. I pay 4.40 for premium because its RFG and probably use mid grade if it wasn't RFG.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
All-seasons are the OEMs and the winter tires are the same size and speed/psi rating.

Next set of tires will be taller for even better MPG, just need to find what LRR tires will fit for a good price in a larger size.....but at the rate I'm going my tires will last forever. haha.

I've been hypermiling on various cars for years w/ various tires....no tires problems to date.

I'm not sure how overfilling the tires adds miles to the car or gets you out of warranty faster, but I bought 2009 Fit w/ 1850 miles on it last fall as a certified pre-owned w/ the extended warranty so I'll probably get sick of the car before I need any major repairs. haha. (Going to NYC car show today to look at all those darn EPA rated 40mpg highway cars for the GF)

@raytseng, well said.

Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Congratulation, you are getting 25 percent better mpg then the average for that car. Putting 49 psi in the tires is a good way to add about 30+ miles to the car you did not drive per tank. I've seen that on the ultra gauge at 5 pounds over. I believe your getting around 37-38 true mpg and thats still very good. Is the snow tires the same size tire or you will throw off the odometer and is it rated for 55 psi? Running 49 cold is about 55 or higher hot which can cause a blow out because the middle of the tire overheats and wears faster to cause the tire to split.

I hypermiling too, and will pull the daytime running lights fuse.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
For me safety takes a back seat to mileage, so I won't be disconnecting the DRL or way overinflating tires.

With my prior (silver-colored) car people would change lanes all the time almost right into me like the car was invisible. I always figured it was the fact that the car was pavement-colored and didn't stand out.

My Fit is bright blue and that rarely happens now, but maybe also the DRL help. They'll certainly reduce the chance of somebody making a left turn into my oncoming lane, that's pretty much what they're there for.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Do performance chips, that supposedly add hp, also make your car more fuel efficient ?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Bster, Where are yor numbers coming from? Using the on
board computer?

I'd highly recommend against 49psi or anything much over 35psi as it reduces the tire's contact patch and ability to handle well during emergency situations. Also, the MPG benefits aren't really realized.
As an FYI, I don't use the unsafe hypermiling techniques (neutral coasting, engine off, crazy PSI) and I have a rolling-hills country drive and am achieving about 38 actual MPG over 25K miles also, My snow tires are slightly taller so my calculated MPG for about 4K worth of those miles is around .6mpg low - I could adjust for the error but... I'm self aware - It's not gonna happen .
In the summer I regularly get 40+mpg. The techniques for mild hypermiling I recommend really aren't HM techniques, more common sense; look ahead at stoplights and let off the gas as you get closer (judging for when the light will turn green) so you don't have to stop, don't jam on the brakes then mash on the gas, use a constant pedal and let the speed fluctuate a few mph (instead of using gas just to keep at 60mph vs 58mph), let the car speed up a little going downhill to maintain momentum, etc...

~SB

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I lived in a padded room through much of my 20s in the name of safety...it wasn't much fun so now I over-inflate my tires and play in traffic. To each his own.

My car is bright red, I bet that does way more for safety than DRL since everyone else has them these days and people are used to them. But, it was the only color avail, I would of preferred silver for ease of detailing haha.

I drive in the right lane at 50-55mph 24/7 and people just seem to leave me alone.

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
For me safety takes a back seat to mileage, so I won't be disconnecting the DRL or way overinflating tires.

With my prior (silver-colored) car people would change lanes all the time almost right into me like the car was invisible. I always figured it was the fact that the car was pavement-colored and didn't stand out.

My Fit is bright blue and that rarely happens now, but maybe also the DRL help. They'll certainly reduce the chance of somebody making a left turn into my oncoming lane, that's pretty much what they're there for.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
All-seasons are the OEMs and the winter tires are the same size and speed/psi rating.

Next set of tires will be taller for even better MPG, just need to find what LRR tires will fit for a good price in a larger size.....but at the rate I'm going my tires will last forever. haha.

I've been hypermiling on various cars for years w/ various tires....no tires problems to date.

I'm not sure how overfilling the tires adds miles to the car or gets you out of warranty faster, but I bought 2009 Fit w/ 1850 miles on it last fall as a certified pre-owned w/ the extended warranty so I'll probably get sick of the car before I need any major repairs. haha. (Going to NYC car show today to look at all those darn EPA rated 40mpg highway cars for the GF)

@raytseng, well said.
Ive seen my ultra gauge being off a few miles every other day so adding miles to the gauge to correct it. I had the dealer change the oil and rotate the tires last weekend and the gauge is accurate with out correcting it. Overinflated does add miles but due to lack of traction and not as much as 30 but it will add some. Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure - Correct, Underinflated and Overinflated

Old 04-24-2011, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
I lived in a padded room through much of my 20s in the name of safety...it wasn't much fun so now I over-inflate my tires and play in traffic. To each his own.

My car is bright red, I bet that does way more for safety than DRL since everyone else has them these days and people are used to them. But, it was the only color avail, I would of preferred silver for ease of detailing haha.

I drive in the right lane at 50-55mph 24/7 and people just seem to leave me alone.
I agree with "to each his own" to a certain extent. The minute someone's choices to negate safety have the potential to impact others, it becomes a problem.

Please don't say you drive 50-55 in the right lane on 65mph roads.

Also, how do you track your economy? computer or calculated?

~SB

Old 04-24-2011, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Do performance chips, that supposedly add hp, also make your car more fuel efficient ?
No. There will be no difference due to "performance chips". This was tested by Consumer Reports as well as others. Given the price of such devices, you'll need to figure out how much gas they need to save in order to break even.

If your car is operating properly, the only add-on device they found to improve fuel efficiency would be certain scangauges that report to you your driving and cause driver changes. As you can imagine, the part that changes here is the thing between the driver's seat and gas pedal.

Alternatively, install a small block of wood behind the gas pedal to stop you from using full throttle..

You can also try the "Don't spill the Water" iPhone app from Toyota, if you have an iPhone:
http://www.aglassofwater.org/en

For more discussion, you should go read in the ECO-FIT subforum

Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
No. There will be no difference due to "performance chips". This was tested by Consumer Reports as well as others. Given the price of such devices, you'll need to figure out how much gas they need to save in order to break even.

If your car is operating properly, the only add-on device they found to improve fuel efficiency would be certain scangauges that report to you your driving and cause driver changes. As you can imagine, the part that changes here is the thing between the driver's seat and gas pedal.

Alternatively, install a small block of wood behind the gas pedal to stop you from using full throttle..

You can also try the "Don't spill the Water" iPhone app from Toyota, if you have an iPhone:
http://www.aglassofwater.org/en

For more discussion, you should go read in the ECO-FIT subforum

So these performance chips don't even add hp? ...meaning they are a complete waste of money? I read somewhere that they can even reduce fuel efficiency...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
So these performance chips don't even add hp? ...meaning they are a complete waste of money? I read somewhere that they can even reduce fuel efficiency...
For every device you found, I am sure you will find a report that claims it doesn't work. Then consider the source, whether it is from a reliable source (such as Consumer Reports), or a shill setup by the company selling the device itself.

If such a device existed, don't you think that Honda would have incorporated it?

The majority of what such chips do is change the throttle response and or computer control, so in essence when you have half throttle, it just maps that to full throttle.
If you've bought a Honda Fit, and want to make it faster through mods, you are throwing your money away. You would be better off, starting instead with a different vehicle that fits the profile you want.

If you want to spend your money on it, go for it. let us know if it really works

Quick Reply: Fuel Consumption