2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
A "chip" tuned for max HP will not increase your MPG, but a retune or chip tuned for higher AFR (how much higher I have not explored with the FIT) will lean the car out at cruising speeds and minimum/partial throttle, thus wider throttle position minimizing pumping losses and hopefully returning better MPG. A warm air intake would have the same effect but decrease overall power for the Fit.

But as was said.... you'd have to calculate the return on your investment (how much MPG better) vs. the cost of the chip or retune. Most likely not worth it. (this is speaking in a general sense, I come from the EVO world and am relatively new to the Fit and don't aim to mod mine.)

Originally Posted by polak001djkk
Do performance chips, that supposedly add hp, also make your car more fuel efficient ?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM
My numbers come from my Fuelly.com uploads. You can download the fillup data and them import it into excel and do whatcha like with it I just made a simple graph.

I suppose everyone has a comfort zone on where to inflate their tires, but it's an opinion and for me, I am fine at 50 psi with my particular tire combos. Heck, if we were so worried about safety, we'd all ditch the LRR tires that come stock with the Fit and buy sticky summer tires in the summer and gummy winter tires in the winter...but not everyone does that.

LRR tires are very, very stiff as is. It takes a LOT of PSI to measure a difference in contact patch w/ these types of tires. I'd like to have another Fit owner come over and compare their Fit with mine and try to measure a difference.

As for the MPG benefits not being realized with higher PSI, I invite you to go over to Ecomodder.com or any hypermiling forum and state your opinion. I think you'd have a lot of opposition from others (with data mind you, they tend to be the obsessive type. ). In fact I did not run fully 50 PSI in my Fit from day one (that would be crazy to jack it up from the get go without feeling out the car's handling characteristics). I increased it over time and I experienced the difference in my recorded MPG (of course my MPG varied as my driving did and stuff I carted around).

specboy, your techniques are common sense, as are a lot of the HM stuff. But I wonder what MPG I'd get in VT, vs. an hour outside of NYC. *drool*

And I drive 50mph on 55mph indicated highways. On 65mph highways I'll do 55mph, maybe 60 if I'm in a rush. It's legal in all aspects and I'm safer than 99% of drivers as I'm not texting, not slicing and dicing through lanes and staying in the right lane keeping to myself. Fortunately/Happily, it's worked for a very long time.

My MPG is calculated, not done by the computer. I just had the computer reflashed for the MPG meter TSB and sadly, it probably will still be quite a ways off.

It's interesting....someone recommended installing a small block of wood under the throttle to prevent full throttle and I think that's just INSANE. haha. (I hardly ever use full throttle, but for safety's sake while merging or avoiding someone coming into my lane, it is a nice "safety feature" to have.)

Don't spill the water app sounds pretty cool. I should get it for my lead-footed GF as she has a smartphone. I have used that analogy b4, but no luck.

Originally Posted by specboy
Bster, Where are yor numbers coming from? Using the on
board computer?

I'd highly recommend against 49psi or anything much over 35psi as it reduces the tire's contact patch and ability to handle well during emergency situations. Also, the MPG benefits aren't really realized.
As an FYI, I don't use the unsafe hypermiling techniques (neutral coasting, engine off, crazy PSI) and I have a rolling-hills country drive and am achieving about 38 actual MPG over 25K miles also, My snow tires are slightly taller so my calculated MPG for about 4K worth of those miles is around .6mpg low - I could adjust for the error but... I'm self aware - It's not gonna happen .
In the summer I regularly get 40+mpg. The techniques for mild hypermiling I recommend really aren't HM techniques, more common sense; look ahead at stoplights and let off the gas as you get closer (judging for when the light will turn green) so you don't have to stop, don't jam on the brakes then mash on the gas, use a constant pedal and let the speed fluctuate a few mph (instead of using gas just to keep at 60mph vs 58mph), let the car speed up a little going downhill to maintain momentum, etc...

~SB

Last edited by Bster13; 04-25-2011 at 09:44 AM.