2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

your experience with the Sport A/T paddles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
your experience with the Sport A/T paddles

OK, so I noticed something when I'm using my flappy paddle gearbox on the Fit Sport - which I didn't notice before. (didn't use them a lot on my 2009, now use them almost exclusively on my 2010) Just wanted to hear others experience with it.

I noticed that it still seems to shift for me every once in a while. Let me explain. Sometimes when I'm accelerating in 3rd, and I upshift to 4th, it actually goes to 5th, and then when I shift to 5th it actually goes into 5OD. Sometimes I can feel it happening when shifting from 2nd > 3rd as well - skips up to 4th.

Now, I know this isn't a true 'manual' type gearbox, but I feel like I should have more control over the gear shifts than what I have. I don't know, maybe I'm just being picky? Thoughts, opinions?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have the transmission selector in D or S when this is happening? If you are in S, you are in full control.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I should have specified - I do have it in 'S' when I notice this. I don't use the paddles in 'D' even though I know you can.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I've used my flappy paddles but just got my 2011 a month ago so I really haven't used them that much. The car gets up and goes pretty well on A/T alone and so the only rare times I use the flappy paddles is when I'm really mashing down on the pedal and working the i-vtech above 5000RPMs. I haven't noticed it shifting from 2nd to 4th or from 3rd to 5th on its own like you've described, regardless whether my tranny is in S or D.

Originally Posted by BVictor
... and then when I shift to 5th it actually goes into 5OD.
Not sure what you mean about the 5OD... overdrive gear?... as in 6th gear???

Last edited by LinoTheFilipino; 04-22-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't think it's supposed to even go to 5th in S.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed that it still seems to shift for me every once in a while. Let me explain. Sometimes when I'm accelerating in 3rd, and I upshift to 4th, it actually goes to 5th, and then when I shift to 5th it actually goes into 5OD. Sometimes I can feel it happening when shifting from 2nd > 3rd as well - skips up to 4th.
I use the S mode paddle shifters exclusively with my 2011 Fit AT. I'm 99% sure that it will never upshift for you. (It does downshift for you if your speed drops too low). There is no such thing as 5OD or 6th gear.

My guess is that what you think is a gear shift is actually just the torque converter lock. For example, as you accelerate from 50mph to 65mph in 5th gear, the rpms are around 3000+rpm. And then as you let off the gas pedal the rpms suddenly drop to 2400 rpm. It seems like a gear shift, but it's just the torque converter lock.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
What's the stall speed of the torque converter? Sometimes if Im at a rolling stop and accelerate the engine revs up to like 2k then I start going. I find that annoying. I may take it in.

As far as the sport mode with paddle shifters I notice if you aren't more than half throttle sometimes it shifts up anyway unless you're under load like climbing a hill it will keep in lower gear with less than half throttle

Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
If you're not going full throttle you won't see the full benefit of paddle shifting.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
I use the S mode paddle shifters exclusively with my 2011 Fit AT. I'm 99% sure that it will never upshift for you. (It does downshift for you if your speed drops too low). There is no such thing as 5OD or 6th gear.

My guess is that what you think is a gear shift is actually just the torque converter lock. For example, as you accelerate from 50mph to 65mph in 5th gear, the rpms are around 3000+rpm. And then as you let off the gas pedal the rpms suddenly drop to 2400 rpm. It seems like a gear shift, but it's just the torque converter lock.
I use the pedals a lot in both S and D modes for both accelerating and engine braking and my Fit's behavior agrees with all the above.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I have nothing but success using the paddles.

Read this... from the Honda GE8 ESM:

Shift-Hold Control

When negotiating winding roads, the throttle is suddenly released and the brakes are applied, as is the case when decelerating at the entrance of a corner, Shift-Hold Control keeps the transmission in its current (lower) gear as it negotiates the corner and accelerates out.
When the vehicle is driven aggressively on a winding road, the PCM extends the engagement time of 3rd gear and 4th gear to prevent the transmission from frequently shifting between 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. This allows the driver to have more control for both acceleration and deceleration.
The PCM monitors the average change in vehicle speed and throttle over time. When these values exceed those for normal driving conditions, the shift-up from 3rd to 4th gear and 4th to 5th gear is delayed. This gives more control over power, and engine braking when the driver is driving aggressively around winding roads. The transmission resumes the normal shift-up pattern after the PCM determines that normal driving has resumed.

Shift Control - Manual Shift Mode

The five-position transmission is provided with a D-paddle shift mode in D, and with a sequential shift mode in S.
Both modes are entered by pulling the paddle shifter + (upshift switch) or paddle shifter - (downshift switch) while driving.

D-Paddle Shift Mode

When the transmission is switched into the D-paddle shift mode by pulling the paddle shifters while driving in D, the transmission can shift into a lower gear by pulling the paddle shifter - (downshift switch), and it can shift into a higher gear by pulling the paddle shifter + (upshift switch). When the transmission shifts into a lower gear or a higher gear by pulling the paddle shifters, the shift indicator in the gauge control module displays the number of currently-selected gear. This number of the gear goes off when the transmission downshifts automatically, or when the transmission upshifts automatically while coasting.
The transmission stays in 5th gear if the paddle shifter + (upshift switch) is pulled when driving in 5th gear, and the shift indicator displays ‘‘5'' in 2 seconds, then goes off. The transmission stays in 1st gear if the paddle shifter - (downshift switch) is pulled when driving in 1st gear, and the shift indicator displays ‘‘1'' in 2 seconds, then goes off.
The transmission stays in the current gear and does not upshift to the next higher gear if the paddle shifter + (upshift switch) is pulled while driving below the minimum allowable speed, and the shift indicator blinks the number of the next higher gear several times, then returns to the number of the current gear.

S Position Automatic Shift Mode and Sequential Shift Mode

The S position has two shifting modes; the automatic shift mode and the sequential shift mode. In the S position automatic shift mode, the transmission upshifts and downshifts automatically from 1st through 4th gear, and the paddle shifters are ready to be activated to switch to the sequential shift mode. In the automatic shift mode, the shift indicator and the M indicator in the gauge control module do not come on.
When the paddle shifter + (upshift switch) or paddle shifter − (downshift switch) is pulled, the automatic shift mode is canceled and the sequential shift mode comes into operation. The shift indicator displays the number of the selected gear, and the M indicator comes on. In the sequential shift mode, the driver can shift up and down manually from 1st through 5th gear by using the paddle shifters, much like a manual transmission. The paddle shifters are mounted on the back of the steering wheel, and the driver can shift gears by pulling the paddle shifters without taking either hand off the steering wheel.
In the sequential shift mode, the transmission must be shifted up and down by pulling the paddle shifters. However, the transmission cannot downshift and stays in the current gear if the paddle shifter − (downshift switch) is pulled while the vehicle is coasting at a speed that would cause the engine to over-rev by downshifting the transmission, and the shift indicator blinks the number of the selected gear several times, then returns to the number of the current gear. If the vehicle speed reaches an appropriate speed while the shift indicator is blinking the number of the selected gear, the transmission downshifts and the shift indicator displays the selected gear. The transmission also cannot upshift and stays in the current gear if the paddle shifter + (upshift switch) is pulled while driving below an appropriate upshifting speed, the shift indicator blinks the number of the selected gear several times, then returns to the number of the current gear. If the vehicle speed reaches the an appropriate upshift speed while the shift indicator is blinking the number of the selected gear, the transmission upshifts and the shift indicator displays the selected gear.
This mode has automatic downshifting areas so the vehicle can run smoothly with more power to cope with upcoming acceleration. When coasting in 5th gear or 4th gear, the transmission downshifts to the next lower gear if the vehicle slows down to the programmed speed, or by pressing the brake pedal.
When the transmission decelerates to a stop, the transmission shifts to 1st gear automatically. The transmission can be shifted to 2nd gear by pulling the paddle shifter + (upshift switch) while the vehicle is stopped, and the vehicle can start off in 2nd gear.
The sequential shift mode is canceled when moving the shift lever to any position other than S.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
lots of good info here guys, thanks a bunch. never thought the torque converter engaging would feel that substantial, but then again this is the first time I've driven a car that has one. I feel a bit silly for not knowing what I should be looking for!

don't get me wrong though, I love the flappy paddle gearbox, only slightly less than a true manual, but quite a bit more than the auto

another question: the A/T doesn't have an overdrive? everything I've ever read here says that it does, but the manual doesn't, hence the varying highway cruising RPM levels. so that's the torque converter disengaging? if that's the case, does the manual experience the same 'feel'?

Last edited by BVictor; 04-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zalthras
I use the pedals a lot in both S and D modes for both accelerating and engine braking and my Fit's behavior agrees with all the above.
Ditto.....

Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
If you're not going full throttle you won't see the full benefit of paddle shifting.
Maybe in a straight line but windy roads may require holding a gear thru a turn without full throttle

Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't use the paddles much but have noticed the paddle
position rotates with the wheel which I don't like.

I would rather the paddle position remain constant and not
follow steering wheel rotation.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed, I would prefer the paddles to have been column mounted & not wheel mounted, it seems my hands are always in the wrong spot if I want to shift coming out of a corner!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
another question: the A/T doesn't have an overdrive? everything I've ever read here says that it does, but the manual doesn't, hence the varying highway cruising RPM levels. so that's the torque converter disengaging? if that's the case, does the manual experience the same 'feel'?
What is your definition of "overdrive"? (sometimes different people use it to mean different things)

One definition of "overdrive" is when the gear ratio is < 1. For the 2011 AT, 4th gear is 0.761, 5th gear is 0.552. So both 4th and 5th gears can be considered overdrive gears.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
Agreed, I would prefer the paddles to have been column mounted & not wheel mounted, it seems my hands are always in the wrong spot if I want to shift coming out of a corner!
well, in a MT, you're supposed to do your downshifting before the curve, because when you're near traction limits, shifting can unsettle the car. so if you want to simulate MT, do your downshifting before the corner.

otherwise, I've learned to use the paddle shifters when they are "upside down" during a turn.

btw, how do other cars mount the paddle shifters, column or steering wheel?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
well, in a MT, you're supposed to do your downshifting before the curve, because when you're near traction limits, shifting can unsettle the car. so if you want to simulate MT, do your downshifting before the corner.

otherwise, I've learned to use the paddle shifters when they are "upside down" during a turn.

btw, how do other cars mount the paddle shifters, column or steering wheel?
The "corner" I was thinking off is actually a decreasing radius on ramp where I am usually in third taking it, but have to drop down a gear on exit because there is almost no "blend area" before you are on the freeway.
It all depends on the mfgr as to paddle placement. I think Aston Martin does theirs on the column (don't quote me on that!) Lambo & Porsche on the wheel...

Oh, and I drove a manual for 25 + years before getting the Fit with the paddles....