2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

how full do you fill your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Question how full do you fill your tank?

I have seen a few threads on hyperfilling, mostly pertaining to pre-2008 Fits and am wondering if similar techniques can be used on the current Fits?

So how much gas do you put in the tank for a fill up? Do you put in any after the first click?

I'm probably your non-traditional Fit owner. I have a 2009 Fit Sport MT that is used primarily as a mom-mobile. I have two kids, 1 year old and a 3 years old, and I have a long commute in the Wisconsin cold (snowing today!). I would love to go longer between fill-ups. The Fit was a natural upgrade from my 2001 Civic EX coupe MT, when it became apparent that a second car seat was needed

edit: and it says I'm a new member, but I've been reading your threads for awhile. Thanks to everyone who contributes great Fit information to this community.

Last edited by bungalow10; 04-19-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
I put in two clicks. I prefer a consistent fill-up, and too many nozzles will randomly click off with a gallon to go or something. So the second click confirms the first.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I would not recommend hyper-filling a fuel tank these days. It's all part of the evap system which is meant to properly vent a closed fuel system. Over filling runs the risk of contaminating the charcoal canister with raw fuel this will adversely effect driveablility.

I do like malraux does.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I would not recommend hyper-filling a fuel tank these days. It's all part of the evap system which is meant to properly vent a closed fuel system. Over filling runs the risk of contaminating the charcoal canister with raw fuel this will adversely effect driveablility.

I do like malraux does.
That's good to know. As much as I would love a bigger tank capacity (longer between fill ups), I don't want to harm my Fit.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
+1 on two clicks

Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
How much extra are you getting in there on the second click? A gallon? Less?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Never checked it, but certainly less than a gallon. The second click simply 'confirms' the fill-up. I'm consistent in how I fill the tank. More concerned with being able to get good numbers to calculate MPG from than anything else.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by bungalow10
How much extra are you getting in there on the second click? A gallon? Less?
On average, less than a quarter gallon. I don't pay much attention, but it goes pretty quick. But filling much more than that won't add much in the way of gas, while also potentially screwing up the evap system, so the only real reason I go to the second click is because some of the shut off switches are flaky.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Yes by topping off your gas tank you not only risk damaging your car's vapor recovery system but you also risk damaging the station's vapor recovery system. Adding more gas after the nozzle has automatically shut off can cause the station's vapor recovery system to operate improperly. This contributes to the air pollution problem and may cause the gas pump to fail to work for the next person.

More important info to know...

Gasoline Vapor Recovery
In order to put gasoline into a tank — either an underground
storage tank or a tank on a car — the tank has
to be able to release the vapors that are already in it.
Initially, gas stations and cars simply allowed the vapors
to escape to the outside air. As we learned more about
the toxic chemicals in these vapors, systems were
developed to capture them before they could reach the
air we breathe when we’re standing at the gas pump.

Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Not trying to be a wise guy BUT as others have pointed out,overfilling your fuel tank can be harmful to your vehicle.Every vehicle brings compromises. I personally do not like the fact that the Fit has drum brakes in the rear. I also do not like having to fill up so frequently,as the tank is so darn small. I accept the small fuel tank as a minor inconvenience to my otherwise fantastic vehicle.I stop fueling after the first click and find the fuel gauge to be past the F. BTW, I should say that prior to the Fit I was driving BMW's for 6 years.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by LinoTheFilipino
Yes by topping off your gas tank you not only risk damaging your car's vapor recovery system but you also risk damaging the station's vapor recovery system. Adding more gas after the nozzle has automatically shut off can cause the station's vapor recovery system to operate improperly. This contributes to the air pollution problem and may cause the gas pump to fail to work for the next person.

More important info to know...

Gasoline Vapor Recovery
In order to put gasoline into a tank — either an underground
storage tank or a tank on a car — the tank has
to be able to release the vapors that are already in it.
Initially, gas stations and cars simply allowed the vapors
to escape to the outside air. As we learned more about
the toxic chemicals in these vapors, systems were
developed to capture them before they could reach the
air we breathe when we’re standing at the gas pump.

Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.

Does anywhere else in the country besides Cali have the "uncircumcized" gas pumps? Normally it's just a metal tube on the end... with these stupid cali ones, you have to "pull back the foreskin" if you need to dispense normally.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
No matter the vehicle I always fill the same.

Dump in fuel until the first click... wait a few seconds for the loaded fuel to settle some.

Start filling again until the second click... then I'm done.

Ok, now lets talk about how we fill our windshield washer reserve tanks.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Well I use to just fill till it clicked, but w/ gas going up in price by the minute! I'll fill er till she's FULL! I found out I can get atleast 1.5-2 gallons more in now.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-19-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Paul56
No matter the vehicle I always fill the same.

Dump in fuel until the first click... wait a few seconds for the loaded fuel to settle some.

Start filling again until the second click... then I'm done.

Ok, now lets talk about how we fill our windshield washer reserve tanks.
I prefer ammonia to clean my windows... I also don't have to find a rest-stop when I need to piss.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm satisfied to stop at one click. The fuel gauge show's full, and there's no need to get really anal about it.
I think they just adjusted the nozzle shut-offs at all our local stop'n robs, for good of for ill.
There were gas stains on my bride's panzer after it overflowed before shutoff last winter, and yesterday the pump at two local convenience stations (same company) were set so sensitively that they wanted to shut off right away.

My point being there is nothing magic about the automatic fuel shutoffs; it's all dependent on adjustment, and you may or may not get exactly the same amount of fuel in the tank.
I realize the onboard may be a little optimistic, but it give accurate relative mileage.
Moon

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 04-20-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I've been filling to the top for just 3 months shy of 5 years... I get an extra 100 miles out of a tank by doing it this way and have yet to have any kind of problems.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
One other thing; somewhat depending on time of day and degree of sunload, the fuel in the tanks will tend to be 'cellar temperature', just like a good mug of Guinness. However, once the fuel is in the tank, it will be much more subject to the ambient temperature, which will often be much greater than cellar temp.
This will cause the fuel to further expand, and if the tank is already full to the tippy-top, you'll have a problem with the purge canister.
Do what ya' gotta do, but I'm not seeing the advantage of stuffing another half gallon of gas in the tank. Most of us aren't crossing the Sahara with jerry cans strapped to the bumper.
As regards fuel mileage calculations, I'm not sure we're solving that problem either. Already mentioned the variability of the shutoff adjustments as regards calculations; then there is the issue of odometer reading vs actual mileage. Using our nav, all our cars are optimistic by 2-3 mph on the speedo, which makes me wonder if the odo isn't off as well.
So even if the mileage computer isn't absolutely accurate, it is relatively accurate. You can compare this tank to the last one, and that's plenty good enough for me.
Moon

Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Using our nav, all our cars are optimistic by 2-3 mph on the speedo, which makes me wonder if the odo isn't off as well.
So even if the mileage computer isn't absolutely accurate, it is relatively accurate. You can compare this tank to the last one, and that's plenty good enough for me.
Moon
I've found that virtually every nav system slightly underestimates miles driven. I suspect it's due to sampling rates and linear approximations. That is, the gps samples say once a second and judges how far you are from your last spot. If you traveled further than just the straight line distance, say by traveling on an arc instead, the gps can't know that. Thus gps tends to slightly understate distance.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I've been filling to the top for just 3 months shy of 5 years... I get an extra 100 miles out of a tank by doing it this way and have yet to have any kind of problems.
An extra 100 miles? That would mean you get like 50MPG! What am I missing?

Quick Reply: how full do you fill your tank?