2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need a translation from our Thai friends

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Need a translation from our Thai friends

Can you tell me what the large letters at the bottom of the picture mean in English?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Can you tell me what the large letters at the bottom of the picture mean in English?
First my disclaimer, I'm not Thai and no expert. I'm about grade 1 level for reading & writing in Thai.

English translation is "saen saeb"

No direct English meaning as it is a common name. Khlong Saen Saeb is a water taxi canal in Bangkok. Also the name of an album by Thai band "Endorphine" a few years ago. Your photo says "Karaoke" in the corner so probably a cover version of that album.

สวัสดีปีใหม่แด่เพื่อน"ฟิต"ทุกคน
(Happy New Years to all my "Fit" friends) Last week was Thai New Year.

_

Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, sounds important. Were you going to put a decal of that on the back of your GE8 or something?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I am doing this for 2 reasons:

1) a decal for my ge8

2) a tattoo for myself after I win my first muay thai match

If anyone could do me a big favor: I am looking for the word "strength" in embellished letters like those in the picture (not just keyboard letters)

If anyone finds the word "strength" written in similar lettering to the picture could you please post a picture.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Yes I am doing this for 2 reasons:

1) a decal for my ge8

2) a tattoo for myself after I win my first muay thai match

If anyone could do me a big favor: I am looking for the word "strength" in embellished letters like those in the picture (not just keyboard letters)

If anyone finds the word "strength" written in similar lettering to the picture could you please post a picture.
Word you're looking for is "kam lang" กำลัง
English translation would be strong, power, energy. Also commonly used for virility and sexual prowess in regards to longevity.

My advice. Wait until you get to Thailand to have the tattoo done. There you will get best options for fonts and style. If you didn't win your Muay Thai match in Thailand you really haven't won a match yet anyway. I used to live a 5 minute walk from Lumpini Stadium. Unbelievable the abilities of their top notch fighters (think Bruce Lee of Muay Thai). Plenty of 5'2" 100 lb. fighters there that this 6'1" 200 lbs. would run away from if given a choice.

_

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Silver Bullet. I agree that winning a muay thai match in the U.S. is nothing compared to Thailand, but I have been training hard and overcome much in the process. I certainly don't think I'm a muay thai badass, just want to celebrate this process and my limited accomplishments on my car and body. Any other words for strength that don't have sexual overtones?...think dedication, stamina, mental focus, physical dedication.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks Silver Bullet. I agree that winning a muay thai match in the U.S. is nothing compared to Thailand, but I have been training hard and overcome much in the process. I certainly don't think I'm a muay thai badass, just want to celebrate this process and my limited accomplishments on my car and body. Any other words for strength that don't have sexual overtones?...think dedication, stamina, mental focus, physical dedication.
Not any other word that I am familar with. Hopefully a Thai can answer you as my knowledge of the language is limited.

And the word I gave isn't really sexual overtone, it is a accepted second meaning colloquial use and not considered vulgar. If you were fighting in the ring it would be very clear your intent. But putting a sticker on your car could make you look like a bragging playboy though. How about combining the word with a small Muay Thai fighter outline. Then very clear and fitting, no misinterpretations.

_

Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
First my disclaimer, I'm not Thai and no expert. I'm about grade 1 level for reading & writing in Thai.

สวัสดีปีใหม่แด่เพื่อน"ฟิต"ทุกคน
(Happy New Years to all my "Fit" friends) Last week was Thai New Year.

_
Happy Songkran! It is about that time of year. Wow that brings back memories. Hope you managed to stay dry and avoided getting doused with water followed with powdery white flour.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Any other words for strength that don't have sexual overtones?...think dedication, stamina, mental focus, physical dedication.
Even the words you just expressed in English could have sexual overtones if used in that capacity.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Strong = แข็งแรง
Power = อำนาจ
Power = กำลัง

Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
It's gonna look like a big mole when you are old anyway. Tattoos are for wannabes. Buy a bull dog, get a tatoo free.

HAHAH kidding kidding.. Take it easy!

Last edited by jondotcom; 04-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
How about this?

It says strength right?

Thanks again!