2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

It might be time for coilovers....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
It might be time for coilovers....

So I got 60 going on 61k mies on my 09 and all this driving in NY and NJ means its time to start putting money aside for suspension....

so I went to Bernardi and estimated how much OEM replacement would cost. With everything it will come out to $900-$1000.

From what I have read on this site, others have put in coilovers for about $1100-1200.

So I find myself on the fence.....what do you all think. Also if you recommend coilovers, any brand recommendations?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Most guys use coil overs either for racing or dropping their cars way low and aren't at all concerned about ride quality... You must spend a lot of time behind the wheel dodging pot holes so you will need to stay away from competition type dampers with limited travel and springs that are overly stiff for daily driving. I have been bouncing back and forth trying to justify getting coil overs myself and other than Tein street tuned coil overs I can't find anything that I would be able to stand for over an hour or so... I feel very good about the Swift Mach sport springs that are tuned for use with the stock struts and shocks.. I believe that J's racing has an adjustable strut/shock combo with Swift springs that would meet my needs and then some but since I have Swift springs I'm hoping that someone will offer adjustable dampers to replace the stock ones on my car before they play out...

Old 04-17-2011, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
I have to agree with TC here. You really need to go with what suits you best. If you want it lowered and a more sport like feel (IE not as soft and smooth) then you should definitely consider coil overs instead of just lowering springs. If you want a OEM or softer ride I suggest researching different options. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying figure out whats best for you. Especially since you are replacing the OEM stuff anyways. If you're going to spend the $$$ get whats best for YOU.

Keep us posted on what you decide and if you have questions feel free to ask. There are a lot of smart people here that are willing to help.

-Ray

Old 04-17-2011, 11:55 PM
To chime in...I chose coilovers because it is a spring and damper that are matched to each other, and the fact that it is a spring with a new damper that will be able to handle the stiffness of the spring. My ride is not super low (1.5" lower than stock all around) and it is mildly stiffer than stock. Great dampening. For me, it was a one stop shopping to be able to get the spring AND damper at once, since GE shocks are not offered (AFAIK) in the higher dampening rate variety yet. Had aftermarket dampers been available, I probably would have gone with a lowering spring/shock combo, since that yields the best comfort for lowering.

I have Tein Super Compact (Super Streets). They are 16 way adj, but i leave them on soft. D2 and Megans and Buddyclubs, are, from what I've read, VERY stiff. Sounds like you are a daily driver like me and going for something balanced is a blessing in the long run!

Cheers!

Last edited by drumsauce; 04-18-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Coilovers can be adjusted from stock height to full lowering. This would be the way to go. You can set your height as you feel right. The spring shock combo is matched together. I say tein or skunk2, both are adjustable and come in different spring rates. However there is a group buy going on in the merchant section for ge so check that out first before deciding.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
So I got 60 going on 61k mies on my 09 and all this driving in NY and NJ means its time to start putting money aside for suspension....

so I went to Bernardi and estimated how much OEM replacement would cost. With everything it will come out to $900-$1000.
What did you price?

If I were to do an OE replacement with parts from Bernardi... I'd just order the shocks/struts and springs (actually, I wouldn't do the springs, since I have Swifts). I'd pretty much reuse everything else. And that comes out to $574.08 (before any taxes and S&H). For me, without springs, it's $388.44 (I guess OE springs are pretty inexpensive).

Sure, if some of the mounting parts were cracking or showing signs of excess wear, I'd replace them, but on a case by case basis.

I wanted to comment some more about coilovers, but its your decision... so I'll leave it out.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
I have Buddy Club Coilovers. Roughly ~$925-$975 for Brand New when you find the right seller. My car is slammed and rides great with the ride quality the way I want it, but can also be adjusted to not only stock hieght but stock ride quality (comfort). Why not have the options to do either or, if you're spending the same exact amount on a stock suspension?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input everyone. Do you think replacing the suspension is a diy for the moderately handy person (biggest job: radiator,thermostat and all hoses replacement)?