2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any advantage to resetting computer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Any advantage to resetting computer?

I start a new job next Monday - I'll be going from driving short trips around town to commuting 70+ miles each way...

Is there any advantage (mainly MPG) to resetting the computer so that it will make adjustments based upon totally different driving parameters?

How long does it take before new parameters override previous ones?

Thanks ya'll!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
If you are talking about resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 30min or so, then it depends of course is going to depend on how different the conditions are as compared to what is in your current settings

If you have changed parameters in your car such as replacing sensors, gotten engine work such as the recall work or ECU software updates for the MPG tsb, or have switched fuel or other engine components, then it may make a difference.

You're looking to do to do the idle learn procedure (search for this), which will require you to babysit the car for at least 10-15minutes after the ecu has been reset
Give it a try and see if it makes a difference, there shouldn't be any downside other then the babysitting time.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-13-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 AM
^ Disagreed. You WILL see downsides. As the car learns its short-term fuel trims, your fuel economy and power WILL be down. It may not be much (.5-2 MPG), but your car will not be running as efficiently. You may not notice it as it happens, because it may not be drastic, but it's happening.

Resetting the ECU for no reason is NOT advised. Your short term fuel trims are adaptive ALL the time- at 150K miles, or at 150 miles. EVERY modern car is like this. Any time you're under low- to mid-load and RPM's, you're in closed loop, and the fuel trim is "adapting," or "learning." This means the ECU is seeing inputs from the various sensors, most importantly the front H02S (oxygen sensor), and adjusting the short-term fuel trim to best suit your driving needs. As for your long-term fuel trim, this, too, will adjust over time.

Long and short, don't do it. You will NOT see any gains unless, as raysteng mentioned, you've modified the engine in some way. Again, however, to disagree- if the ECU was reflashed for an ignition or fuel update, obviously there's no reason to reset it again.

Anyway, there's your morning learning Cheers- Mark W.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Not in your situation. The computer will relearn over the next 150 miles or so... worst case scenario, the computer will be on the same level as you after 2 trips to & from work.

As others have said, if there is a new part on the car, then it's worth it... but in this case, no.

The only thing you have to do now is sit back and watch that MPG skyrocket if all you've ever done is short trips around town.

Your next mod will likely be sound related if that hasn't been done yet. Long commutes require good music and a decent hands' free system for your phone. Dynamat will likely help improve the noise level. also, in your tire search, find tires with good reviews in regards to noise. I went from my Snow tires back to the OE Bridgestones and wow... the noise level went UP! I'm now kind of exited about having to replace my Bridgestones with summers in the next year or two.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 04-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.