2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My new fit just came in...quick question on front plate relocator.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Question My new fit just came in...quick question on front plate relocator.

Got a call today that my Fit Sport finally arrived and i told them not to put the front plate on because i dont want them drilling holes in the bumper. My question is....id like to buy the pwjdm relocation kit but i dont want to rip the bumper off my brand new car....is this possible to do without taking the bumper off? can i reach to where i need by taking just the grille off?

please help!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
As far as I know the new fit sports dont have to dirll holes for front plate. If that helps any

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
i have a 2010 fit sport and i don't have any holes if i remove my license plate. i wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by EvoFit
i have a 2010 fit sport and i don't have any holes if i remove my license plate. i wouldn't worry about it.
They drilled a hole right in the middle of my 2011's bumper for the bracket.

There are also 2 mounting bolts that come up from under the bracket.

Sorry O.P., I can't help with the relocation question.

Last edited by Schoat333; 04-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
You can buy a relocator from autozone and apply it to the bumper grill. No bumper removal necessary.

Here's FitDEEZ ride with it:
Name:  Nikon217.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0297-1.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  27.9 KB

Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I hae a 2011 sport fit and i have no holes soo idk if each dealership is different

Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
If they drill hole then they don't know what they're doing.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
If you do a search for "Honda fit PDI," you'll see that there is instruction to put a self tapping screw... however, the screw goes in from the bottom up. My guess is some guys were reading it wrong.

Luckily, my Fit didn't have the hole in front, however, they did forget the body plugs and a clip per rear "strake" (each has two, but they only put one).

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
If you do a search for "Honda fit PDI," you'll see that there is instruction to put a self tapping screw... however, the screw goes in from the bottom up. My guess is some guys were reading it wrong.

Luckily, my Fit didn't have the hole in front, however, they did forget the body plugs and a clip per rear "strake" (each has two, but they only put one).
I suspect you're right about them misreading the PDI.

My fit didn't have the front plate holder installed, I found it in the trunk (we don't use front plates here). I was missing the body plugs too but I went to the dealer to get them.

What exactly is the "strake" and what's its purpose?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers

Yeah, it looks like they read it wrong. It doesn't really surprise me, I had to activate the TPMS sensors myself because they never did it during the PDI. The light came on after 20 miles.

Needless to say, I will be maintaining the Fit myself...

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by GGPJON
You can buy a relocator from autozone and apply it to the bumper grill. No bumper removal necessary.

Here's FitDEEZ ride with it:

how exactly did he do this?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
What exactly is the "strake" and what's its purpose?
Based on the location, my guess is that it breaks up the air just before it flows over the tires. Kinda like the "vortex" fins on top of cars and even the trailing edge on the Prius.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM
My 2009 Base (bought in Illinois) had a front license holder installed (see sig pic). When I moved to Indiana (no front plates) I took it off. I was pleasantly surprised to see that an extension actually comes off of the back of the holder and screws into the bottom of the bumper cover (in other words, the whole thing is "L" shaped). So yes, there are holes, but no, no one's going to see them, unless I run over a smurf. The holder did leave a barely noticeable scratch on the front of the bumper (from vibration), but this could be solved with a piece of rubber or whatever on install.
I kept this thing but have no use for it, so if you can't find what you want, PM me and you can have it.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a 2010 base model, and if the 2009 is the same, then the license plate bracket screws into metal clips that slide into V-shaped notches in the bumper cover, and bite into the plastic.

I found this out because, hardly a week after I bought it, I came out of a concert, only to discover that my front license plate and bracket were hanging off my driver's side mirror. Some idiot had backed into my car when trying to leave. There wasn't any actual damage to the bumper (no cracks, paint transfer, scratches, etc.).

I was able to slide the clips into the notches, run the bolts into them, and tighten them... the plate and bracket have stayed in place just fine since then.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Just picked up the car and told the dealer to leave the plate off conpletly.....I'm not putting one on till they tell me I have to.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Clinton Honda of Annandale, NJ drills holes in ALL their new vehicles as part of their pdi process prior to customer delivery and even if you complain to them (which I did) they WILL NOT offer to repair the bumper! Prior to my selecting my car from inventory, the license bracket was installed on the car, however the dealer plate covered the hole, so as a result I had no clue about them drilling the third hole.

I appealed to American Honda but they back their dealers.
Neither American Honda or their dealers care about customer satisfaction if it's going to cost them money.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richsfit
Clinton Honda of Annandale, NJ drills holes in ALL their new vehicles as part of their pdi process prior to customer delivery and even if you complain to them (which I did) they WILL NOT offer to repair the bumper! Prior to my selecting my car from inventory, the license bracket was installed on the car, however the dealer plate covered the hole, so as a result I had no clue about them drilling the third hole.

I appealed to American Honda but they back their dealers.
Neither American Honda or their dealers care about customer satisfaction if it's going to cost them money.

A lesson I learned many years ago is that every new car buyer should have a pre-delivery conversation with his dealer, regarding the attachment of dealer logos. These may vary from simple decals, to glue-on emblems, to emblems which require drilling holes in the body work. I am willing to accept dealer advertising license plate frames, and have a couple of those. In many states, there is no requirement for a front license plate, and I have found the dealer will agree not to install anything up front, and will leave the bracket hardware in the trunk for future (optional) installation and use. I have found dealers to be cooperative when they realize it is a customer concern.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Get the Bell adjustable plate holder.

FITDEEZ said he took it apart and reassembled it around the lower grill w/o drilling.

I gave up trying to figure it out and mounted it w 2 screws to lower grill.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy

A lesson I learned many years ago is that every new car buyer should have a pre-delivery conversation with his dealer, regarding the attachment of dealer logos. These may vary from simple decals, to glue-on emblems, to emblems which require drilling holes in the body work. I am willing to accept dealer advertising license plate frames, and have a couple of those. In many states, there is no requirement for a front license plate, and I have found the dealer will agree not to install anything up front, and will leave the bracket hardware in the trunk for future (optional) installation and use. I have found dealers to be cooperative when they realize it is a customer concern.
Of course, just as there are many states that don't require front plates, there are plenty that do. So it wouldn't surprise me that dealerships in these states (including mine, Illinois) would put on the bracket to avoid complaints from customers getting tickets for no front plate right after getting the car. It's a total crapshoot at that point on if they mount it correctly.

I was lucky, the dealership I got my Fit from, while far, put the front bracket on correctly and only added a dealer logo'd plate frame. No stickers or decals. Then again, I might've bought it before they got a chance to do so.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: My new fit just came in...quick question on front plate relocator.