2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Japan earthquake- impact on Fit production?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Japan earthquake- impact on Fit production?

As I watched the devistation I couldn't help but wonder if production will be impacted in a major way. I don't know the geography of the area as it relates to the areas that produce our Fits, much less other models. Anyone know?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM
It's quite possible that it may slow down a little, but I believe the plants that the Fit is produced in are quite a far ways south from the impact and blunt of the damage. The power plant emergency going on right now on the other hand is another thing, not sure how much of the area it serves

Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Tochigi, Sayama, and Suzuka plants were all shut down. I think the Sayama & Suzuka plants are where FITs are produced. For how long is the real question and what about their suppliers. More importantly, what about the employees & their families who may be back to work in just a few days, or just beginning the process of rebuilding their own lives.

Time will tell and I'm sure there is enough supply for the short term but the long term is another question. I doubt it'll impact them much but there's a lot of equipment testing and basic building structural stability that needs to be tested first.

Best of luck to Honda, their families and everyone impacted. (even Toyota ;-))

~SB

Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Amen to that.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
Well Saitama was rocked pretty hard, just as Tokyo was, I'm a bit further south, about 28km from Tokyo and the seismic activity was recorded at about 5.2, 400km from the epicenter. That was quite an experience for sure and I know without any doubt I hope to never feel more than I felt. The longevity of the thing was the worst as it kept getting stronger and stronger as it went on. I even began to feel a sort of motion sickness. After the first 2 minutes I decided it was time to get downstairs and out of the house as the 2nd floor just sounded like it was going to go down.

I'm hoping the deathtoll doesn't dramatically rise as rubble is cleared. The tsunami definitely was the most devastating as far as the sheer number of homes destroyed. It's a good thing that it happened in the afternoon and not in the middle of the night or who knows what amount of lives would have been lost.

Please keep your thoughts on those who have been impacted severely. I am still waiting to hear back from a friend who lives in Sendai, definitely a bit concerned now.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Well Saitama was rocked pretty hard, just as Tokyo was, I'm a bit further south, about 28km from Tokyo and the seismic activity was recorded at about 5.2, 400km from the epicenter. That was quite an experience for sure and I know without any doubt I hope to never feel more than I felt. The longevity of the thing was the worst as it kept getting stronger and stronger as it went on. I even began to feel a sort of motion sickness. After the first 2 minutes I decided it was time to get downstairs and out of the house as the 2nd floor just sounded like it was going to go down.

I'm hoping the deathtoll doesn't dramatically rise as rubble is cleared. The tsunami definitely was the most devastating as far as the sheer number of homes destroyed. It's a good thing that it happened in the afternoon and not in the middle of the night or who knows what amount of lives would have been lost.

Please keep your thoughts on those who have been impacted severely. I am still waiting to hear back from a friend who lives in Sendai, definitely a bit concerned now.
My thoughts are with you and the rest of Japan. I'm glad you are ok.