2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Squirrels had a feast under my hood!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Happened to me in my first car (92 Accord) They didn't get to the main wiring harness, but ate through 2 of the 4 spark plug wires, and through a vacuum hose (can't remember the name of it, but it used pressure changes to reduce the idle speed as the engine warmed).

A month later, they did it again, just the spark plug wires.

I sprayed the entire engine with sour apple spray, designed to keep dogs from chewing on things, and it never happened again.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
The rats on the street here in NYC chewed the wires under the hood of my ‘91 Accord, but so far I’ve had no trouble with my Fit. To be safe, however, I might try this:

Animal Repellent-Natural & Insect Repellent-Natural: HOT PEPPER WAX

Has anyone tried this particular product? Any comments on weather it creates an odor in the cabin? Can it harm engine parts or wiring?

Maybe I’ll spray it on the wheels, too, to keep the thieves away...

Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Spraying Fits for vermin. Never though I would utter those words. I liked the idea of peeing on it.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 PM
I cleaned out the cabin air filter in my Fit and there was dog food in it. My husband thinks a mouse got into my cabin air filter? How could that be? IT looked like something chewed on the filter. I took out a handful of dog food. IT was very weird. I took my dog's dog food bag out of the garage and put mice traps in there. I hope my car is not damaged.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
The rats on the street here in NYC chewed the wires under the hood of my ‘91 Accord, but so far I’ve had no trouble with my Fit. To be safe, however, I might try this:

Animal Repellent-Natural & Insect Repellent-Natural: HOT PEPPER WAX

Has anyone tried this particular product? Any comments on weather it creates an odor in the cabin? Can it harm engine parts or wiring?

Maybe I’ll spray it on the wheels, too, to keep the thieves away...
I've been spraying everything from the grille to the firewall including the underside of the hood of my cars for over 7 years with Hot Pepper Wax... One bottle last for years unless you wash under the hood often and have to respray it....I don't know why they call it hot pepper wax, it doesn't taste hot at all to me but we tend to eat a lot of chili peppers around here.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Outside of the insurance fraud I believe was committed by the dealership by making the damage worse, I too had to have the engine wire harness replaced last week due to two wires, yes just two wires, near a connector being chewed through by a rodent. $1600 to replace. They said this happens all the time and I was furious! To know that a manufacturer would continue to assemble any vehicle WITHOUT wrapping wires with a rodent deterrant tape knowing this is a common problem is insanity! This could concievably happen to me again tomorrow and cost me another $1600.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
This is a very common problem on all vehicles. They like wires and hoses. One thing that will work is moth balls. They hate the smell and leave the area immediately. I have moth balls under the hood and inside my nephew's car which is parked at my house for 1.5 years while he is out of the country. Do not place them under the hood where the air can get pulled in to the heater AC duct. This should not be a problem on a Fit because the air is pulled in from in front of the windshield.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Lightbulb

Honda OEM Anti-Feeze-flavored hickoy nuts eliminate those pesky vermin.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
I have 2009 Honda Fit Sport with 22,000 Miles on it. Up in NH here. Check Gas Cap
was followed by Engine Light. I had installed a locking gas cap (Not Honda). It failed NH
State Inspection and 1st try was changing back to Honda Gas Cap. Still Leakage in Fuel
Fill Pipe (Smoke Test). New parts to lower tank. Rodent Nest found and hole in Filler
hose Attached to Fuel Tank. Over $1000 so far expected. Service quote today: Fuel Tank & Related Seal/Hardware Replacement w/Haz Waste Removal etc Est: Misc $845.00