2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

who has the oem cargo tray?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
who has the oem cargo tray?

What type of material is it made out of? In pictures it looks like hard plastic that wouldn't hold any thing in place when taking a corner. I was hoping it would be more like a rubber mat but appears not to be. The cardboard in the trunk right now is not the greatest

So those that have them...,are you happy with it?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
it's soft rubber...

i wouldn't want any thing that can tip over in the trunk in the first place.

but having bags, shirts,etc back there is fine.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Not hard plastic as it will bend a good bit or even fold in half when you remove it. But it isn't really rubbery either. If you're looking for something with 'grip' to keep stuff from sliding around this isn't it. It will protect the cargo area from spills pretty effectively though.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I was interested in it at first, but after seeing one decided to buy a chunk of indoor/outdoor carpet off the roll at Lowes.
I cut it to fit the cargo area and, to tell the truth, it looks like it was meant to be there.

The old plastic milk crate does the job, doesn't slide around and comes out easily.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Its really just a lining to protect from spills, dirt, or whatever you might get back there. My car with it, but even if it hadn't. I probably would have bought it. Its easy to clean to!!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
the OEM cargo tray is made of very cheap soft plastic and gets damage or wear out very quickly.
It doesn't worth it for the money we paid.
its the same material as your all season floor matt.

I would say its good for general protection if you want to save your OEM carpet from getting wet, that's about it.
If you put lots of heavy load in your trunk, it probably last for a year or so.

Last edited by alanchan; 03-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Sort of like the idea of the Lowes carpet! I'm just looking for something to put back there rather than just having the cheesy cardboard covered rug....

Looks like it may slightly cut down on the available room in the area as well?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
That carpet is rubber backed and water proof, rolls out nicely and looks good. Often you can find remnant pieces.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I like mine.

It is what it is. It's relatively thin formed rubber-type material. It isn't heavy and thick like a cargo mat that a Honda Odyssey gets, but it serves its purpose (and it looks nice).

My complaint in the FIT cargo area is the flimsy cardboard spare tire cover.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
I have the tray and like it.

Name:  003-8.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  30.8 KB

Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I have the tray and like it.
ditto. my wife and I both have one, and OEM all weather mats, and like them. the materials seem to be sturdy enough, if you're going to be damaging it you probably shouldn't be hauling it in a car

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
I have the tray, and some of the disparaging remarks about it I think unfair. It's flexible..but not cheap. And I think it's flexible on purpose. This way you can bend it back to reach underneath it to get to the space underneath. I cram a lot of stuff around the spare tire...

I'd recommend it, if you can afford it...or get it thrown in a deal. Yes, you can make yourself "something' that will work just as well...but the cargo tray is nice. I don't find it to be cheaply made.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I have the tray, and some of the disparaging remarks about it I think unfair. It's flexible..but not cheap. And I think it's flexible on purpose. This way you can bend it back to reach underneath it to get to the space underneath. I cram a lot of stuff around the spare tire...

I'd recommend it, if you can afford it...or get it thrown in a deal. Yes, you can make yourself "something' that will work just as well...but the cargo tray is nice. I don't find it to be cheaply made.
IMO, it straddles the line between cheap and inexpensive, much like the fit as a whole does. That said, the cargo tray is basically identical in my accord (same rubbery plastic, thickness, etc) and it has held up well and does its job as it should. IMO, the major point of the cargo tray is to keep dirty/gritty materials out of the carpet and keep stuff from sliding too much. You can grab a bag of dirt or mulch from Home Depot and easily clean up the mess if the bag spills a bit.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
IMO, it straddles the line between cheap and inexpensive, much like the fit as a whole does. That said, the cargo tray is basically identical in my accord (same rubbery plastic, thickness, etc) and it has held up well and does its job as it should. IMO, the major point of the cargo tray is to keep dirty/gritty materials out of the carpet and keep stuff from sliding too much. You can grab a bag of dirt or mulch from Home Depot and easily clean up the mess if the bag spills a bit.
??? But I don't get it? If it has held up well, and does the job as it should what is cheap about it?

Maybe it is expectations...but if you made it non-flexible or too thick, putting it in..and removing would be more difficult, and as I originally said, an inflexible piece makes it more difficult to get to the space underneath.

It think it's purposely designed to be flexible and the thickness it is.

I'm a little disappointed with my OEM all weather matts...but the cargo tray? It is what it is...but I wouldn't characterize it as cheap.

That being said, Yes it depends on what you want. I think you can make something that will work with varying degrees of success, probably for cheaper just using bulk carpet or combinations of readily availabe materials.

But for waterproof, flexible, ease of use? I'd recommend the cargo tray.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
??? But I don't get it? If it has held up well, and does the job as it should what is cheap about it?
Maybe it is expectations...but if you made it non-flexible or too thick, putting it in..and removing would be more difficult, and as I originally said, an inflexible piece makes it more difficult to get to the space underneath.
It think it's purposely designed to be flexible and the thickness it is.
I'm a little disappointed with my OEM all weather matts...but the cargo tray? It is what it is...but I wouldn't characterize it as cheap.
That being said, Yes it depends on what you want. I think you can make something that will work with varying degrees of success, probably for cheaper just using bulk carpet or combinations of readily availabe materials.
But for waterproof, flexible, ease of use? I'd recommend the cargo tray.

Agreed! It serves the purpose for which was is intended. If it was much heavier it would be a PITA to move around.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys thanks for the info....it seems like I may grab one off flea-bay for around 70 bucks so that is def doable (unless local dealer will match)

Question....i know per say it is not a "rubber" mat but is it slick so that anything back there will slide all over the place? If I get a gallon of milk and throw it in the back for the ride home (anf yeah not Tokyo drifting lol) will it be like a skating rink for the jug? Right now on the carpet it stays pretty well put

Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 AM
The rubber has saved my ass.. my dog had the squirts all over it and all I had to do was spray it off. I wasn't mad at her cause it was my fualt for not letting her go to the bathroom before the drive. Worth it to me. The dealer left it in there for me and didn't charge for it. Love free stuff!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have had mine since 2007 and it still looks just as nice. I use Superior Shine from Meguiars on it when I car show and it looks great. I normally lay a towel over it in the winter just to keep it looking nice.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackberry Goose
Hey guys thanks for the info....it seems like I may grab one off flea-bay for around 70 bucks so that is def doable (unless local dealer will match)

Question....i know per say it is not a "rubber" mat but is it slick so that anything back there will slide all over the place? If I get a gallon of milk and throw it in the back for the ride home (anf yeah not Tokyo drifting lol) will it be like a skating rink for the jug? Right now on the carpet it stays pretty well put
As you can see, I like the cargo tray. Honestly though? It's not slick, but neither is it a 'grippy" rubber. It has grooves that help. But I wouldn't purchase it thinking it was designed to grab onto, or be especially "anti-skid".

My experience has been "average". I'm usually loading enough into that space when I'm using it that I don't allow room for much sliding.

Worst case? You could always buy the tray, then make a liner to place in it made of bulk carpet or whatever substance. I think it would be overkill..but buying and owning the tray doesn't mean you are legally obligated to ONLY use the tray...

Old 03-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I have one. It catches all the sand from your towels and other crap when you drive home from the beach.

The flexible material is great because unlike hard plastic, you can crush it with cargo and it springs back into shape, and it won't rattle against the rear door. Works well.

Quick Reply: who has the oem cargo tray?