2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My ex-CTCC (touring Car) Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 AM
My 09 Fit / ex-CTCC (touring Car)

Hi Guys, I am European expatriate in China (Shanghai) and I race a little bit there. Recently I had the opportunity to buy a 2009 Fit that completed a year in China Touring Car (CTCC) which follows the same rules as the Fia WTCC. So standard 1.5 i-vtec engine.

I won't participate in CTCC but I will race the car in other category, and will be allowed upgrade the car.

Here is my new ride for 2011

Here is the list of Upgrade the car has :

- Reinforced Chassis / Stitch Welded (100 Hours of work)
- DMS fully adjustable suspensions
- AP Racing Caliper
- AP Racing Disc
- Ferodo Pads
- Front Differential
- Motec ECU M400
- Roll Cage 16 points
- Forged Wheels 15x6
- Uni Bolts

I plan to optimize the car now that we are not limitated to CTCC rules, but for the time being the car will be first fully resprayed in White (this week)

First upgrade will be :

Stage 1 (before summer 2011) :
- Put the car on diet and loose at least 100KG (now it's 1.1T), Lexan windows, Carbon hood, etc...
- Change the position of the gas tank to the spare wheel location to lower down the center of gravity and have better balance
- Straight exhaust line + Muffler
- Get rid of the dashboard and put an aluminium one with a Motec SDL3 display and GPS antenna for the timing (the car already has a Motec ECU with data log-in)
- Flying Wheel

Stage 2 (after summer 2011):
- Cams + Pistons + Throttle body (somewhere around 160-180HP) OR swap with a B16B (185HP Stock)
- 17 Inches Forged Rims and Toyo R888

Stage 3 (2012):
- Sequential Gearbox

This is a video of the first time I tried the car :

I just love this chassis, it's a very nice car. I you guys have any recommendations please feel free to comment!

Last edited by ArnaudShanghai; 03-08-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: better explanation in the tittle
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
very cool, dude! any pictures of the interior? i love seeing fits with jungle gyms :P

Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Not yet but I'll do some tomorrow, I go to check the car while they will paint it

Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
very cool! i wish i had a race car

Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Well it's not so hard to get. Specially you are in the US. You can buy a cheap Fit or a Miata and make easily a track car. Keep in mind power is nothing, light is the key. You don't need to put a lot of money in the engine to have fun!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
you need a lot of money to have a dedicated race car...expensive hobby.

What kind of shifter is in use? it looks stock, long looking throws, but it could be camera??

what suspension work was done?

are there rules on mirrors? surprised you didn't hack the stock ones off and go for smaller, light weight ones.

looks very fun to drive to the limit.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by mole177
you need a lot of money to have a dedicated race car...expensive hobby.

What kind of shifter is in use? it looks stock, long looking throws, but it could be camera??

what suspension work was done?

are there rules on mirrors? surprised you didn't hack the stock ones off and go for smaller, light weight ones.

looks very fun to drive to the limit.
Hi There,

The gearbox is the stock one (as per WTCC rules) only the ratio is shorter for this track and pignons are stronger. Top speed like that is...156 KPH at 7000 rpm in 5 gear (less than 100 MPH). They had one race last year on F1 Track in shanghai, with a longer ratio they where the fastest car among 18, top speed was 238 KPH. I plan anyway to put a Sequential, but it's the most costy part, it's about 10 000 euros (13 500 USD)

Regarding the mirror, same thing, according to WTCC rules you need to keep original ones, I will of course change them soon as I don't follow the same rules now

Suspensions was the most expensive work, they are custom made in Australia and cost about 650 000 RMB = 10 000 usd. They are of course fully adjustable.

The biggest work was on the chassis, it was stripped down and fully reinforced, the team that did the Fit was preparing 2 other Fit for CTCC and they have a lot of experience with that chassis, the Mecanic there told me the Chassis is the best one among all small cars available (Yaris, Swift, Mazda2, Fiesta) This year they will enter CTCC with a bigger car, a Chevrolet Cruze with 1.6T engine.

The brake are also very good, but I will put later the list of upgrade because I still don't have all details now.

What I really like is the engine is fully stock at that stage and it can do the same lap time on some circuit as some Highly modified bigger cars. The chassis is really what make this car so fast into corners, it's why I wont do a big job to the engine (like for example put a Turbo)

Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
and I forgot to mention the car is equipped with a Motec M400 Ecu and data log-in, then i can see many parameters on my lap on the track, such as speed, g force, throttle percentage, and with the GPS tracker even my position via google map on the track. We cannot really see it on the video but it comes with a small diplayer right after the steering wheels, I plan to put a bigger one (SDL3) when I will get rid of the dashboard

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
you'll be disappointed if you ever drive the US fit...

longer bumper, US DOT regulations, etc.

be happy with overseas ones.

I'm still happy with mine, so far...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Well my Fit is only allowed on the track now...

You would be disappointed as well with the quality of the Chinese made Honda Fit Overall the quality is cheaper than the one that you have

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
how so??

i find it hard to believe.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
subscribed. nice video

Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Why not stick with 16 for less unsprung weight? Does your current mod include a underbody panel and rear diffuser?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
That car hooks up in the turns! Quick powering out of them too.

edit: It appears the cup holders make great pass-through points for the cage.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ArnaudShanghai
and I forgot to mention the car is equipped with a Motec M400 Ecu and data log-in, then i can see many parameters on my lap on the track, such as speed, g force, throttle percentage, and with the GPS tracker even my position via google map on the track. We cannot really see it on the video but it comes with a small diplayer right after the steering wheels, I plan to put a bigger one (SDL3) when I will get rid of the dashboard
That looks like a ton of fun!

I am looking at the MoTeC M84 or the M400, just curious but what made you choose the M400?

It seemed like overkill at the time when I was talking to one of their Reps.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by mole177
how so??

i find it hard to believe.
Chinese Fit is made in China out of Chinese factories. The tooling is the same, but the quality control is different. So you will find differences in panels adjustments, plastic quality, and small details like for example the day you pick up the car at the dealer it's covered with swirl etc...

I use to have a BMW 5 serie made in China, they claim quality is same as the one made in Germany, this is far for being true...same problem, panels adjustments are very bad.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
subscribed. nice video
Thanks I'll do many videos!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by codenamezero
Why not stick with 16 for less unsprung weight? Does your current mod include a underbody panel and rear diffuser?
Well, the car as 16 now, Forged rims that weight nothing. I can find super light 17 and stick slightly larger tires for better cornering. If you check my video you'll see the corner just before the big Dunlop Bridge, I'm in third gear and I have to lift a little bit the throttle, cause if I put full throttle the rear will not follow. With larger tires I can take this corner flat out...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
That car hooks up in the turns! Quick powering out of them too.

edit: It appears the cup holders make great pass-through points for the cage.
Yes, the car is very very good in corners with the original engine!

Cup Holder are good for the cage but the dash will leave us soon! I plan to have a very simple aluminium panel instead with the Motec Dashboard

Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That looks like a ton of fun!

I am looking at the MoTeC M84 or the M400, just curious but what made you choose the M400?

It seemed like overkill at the time when I was talking to one of their Reps.
This is the point, the car is really fun, and according to a lot of people doing competition the Fit is the best Chassis that you can upgrade to do racing.

Regarding the Motec, good question, I just discovered this brand with the garage that sold me the car (with this M400) and will take car of it, I'll ask the difference. What I know about the M400 is you can enable many option such as data log-in and when you are chasing a time this is important to see where you can improve. On my video I do 1.18 and that track, my goal is 1.10 and win the best category on the national race, after all the upgrade of course. Motec is not cheap though...

Quick Reply: My ex-CTCC (touring Car) Fit