2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help! Dont wanna get hosed on a 2011 sport m/t

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Help! Dont wanna get hosed on a 2011 sport m/t

hey guys....i need your help. i have a 2010 Jeep Liberty and i really like the truck but I commute 40 miles a day and im getting absolutely hammered on fuel. back in 2009 i test drove a fit and loved it but worried about what people would think of me because it isnt the manliest of cars....well guess what gas recently hit $3.50 a gallon here (albany, NY) and i cant justify the Jeep anymore. Id really appreciate it if you guys could give me an idea on a price to shoot for on a 2011 Fit Sport M/T non-navi? Here is some info.

2010 Jeep Liberty Sport (bought Nov. 2009)
14k miles
Immaculate Condition
4x4
Sky Slider Roof
Preferred Package (fog lamps, tinted glass, cargo cover, map lights)
I currently owe $16000

KBB says trade in is $17100
Nada Says $18100 (if im understanding it properly)

I checked the "what did you pay for your fit?" thread and while great Id really appreciate a more in depth range.

*** Id be putting $1000 down on top of trade and would shoot for 60 month financing***

Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Total cost for my fit was 17K. But that was a Base MT. Sport adds what? 2500k at tops I hope?

I know the jeep story. I have the exact same story except a Wrangler Sport Lifted 4". Gas milage is terrible. But I kept it as my weekend/Tailgaiting vehicle.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
yea i love the jeep but man $65 fill ups every week are a nightmare. im hoping to walk out with a sport for around 16k-17k id even be willing to wait until the end of summer which will allow me to pay down the Jeep some more and hopefully the cost of the 2011's will come down.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
$65 a week? You're lucky. When I was driving it everyday. It was $35 every 2 and a half days.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Your Jeep will depreciate faster than you can pay it down in the short term, if you can trade it and accomplish your financial goals do it as soon as you can. E-mail as many dealers as you can in a comfortable distance, get as many firm numbers on the trade as you can and make the deal sooner than later. The price on the Fit will likely stay static for quite a while, incentives won't be needed to move Fits if gas continues to rise. When you factor in the additional gas you will burn waiting and the fun you'll miss....

FWIF,

b

Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by nickemangione
..... back in 2009 i test drove a fit and loved it but worried about what people would think of me because it isnt the manliest of cars....
I had the feeling of "loosing my manhood" when I switched from my Accord to FIT.

Now, I loved my FIT and it was the best decision I had ever made. When I am amongst other big trucks F150, Hummers, SUVs I consoled myself by the thoughts that I WILL ALWAYS WIN at what matters most nowadays... my wallet at the pump. I saved about $130 a month in gas. Other jeeps, SUVs will be paying a couple of hundreds more per month.

Last edited by Ric01; 02-27-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. rhyneba you really think i should dump the jeep quickly? right now the 2009 (a year older than mine) liberty's are going for $16000 in trade in....which is a depreciation of $1000 seeing as though the 2010's are pulling $17000 - $18000 but in a year i can probable knock off about $5500 off the $16000 i owe.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
When I am amongst other big trucks F150, Hummers, SUVs I consoled myself by the thoughts that I WILL ALWAYS WIN at what matters most nowadays... my wallet at the pump.
Lol The first thing my brother said when he saw it was "Man now everyone is gonna think you have a giant d**k when they see you in this little thing."

Old 02-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Lol The first thing my brother said when he saw it was "Man now everyone is gonna think you have a giant d**k when they see you in this little thing."

Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Some people may think that driving a FIT, spend less on fuel, not spending enough maintenance $$ for the FIT is not stimulating at all ..... the economy I mean

Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 AM
yea i love the jeep but man $65 fill ups every week are a nightmare. im hoping to walk out with a sport for around 16k-17k id even be willing to wait until the end of summer which will allow me to pay down the Jeep some more and hopefully the cost of the 2011's will come down.
don't hold your breath on that one. there really is very little dealer markup in the Fit. Typically MSRP and invoice are within $500 of each other (at least in my area), so don't expect the price on a new car from the previous model year to be much different than it is now.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by BVictor
don't hold your breath on that one. there really is very little dealer markup in the Fit. Typically MSRP and invoice are within $500 of each other (at least in my area), so don't expect the price on a new car from the previous model year to be much different than it is now.
Not always true, especially if you're willing to look at out of state dealers and do a fly and drive back. Dealer invoice can sometimes be very far from actual dealer cost.

Last month I know of a dealer that had sixteen 2010 Fit base 5 speeds in stock selling for $12,999 total drive away cost. That is $2,651 below MSRP, of which $750 was Honda cash back to dealer. Of course you'd need to add to that state tax and registration when you got home but that is a given no matter where you buy. They only sold their last two Fits this past weekend so didn't even blow off the lot at that price.

I was so tempted to buy but I really want cruise control and then USB, remote entry and traction control nice also so holding out for a 2011 next year when they start clearing inventory again or will buy a used 2009 model before then to spend even less.

_

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
a 'fly and drive back' is going to cost you just as much - if not more, considering gas prices and plane ticket prices right now - as any leeway in sales price you could probably get off a local lot.

of course, YMMV when your dealer has 16 Base Models sitting on the lot! the local lot usually has no more than about 6 or 7 total, base and sport combined.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by BVictor
a 'fly and drive back' is going to cost you just as much - if not more, considering gas prices and plane ticket prices right now - as any leeway in sales price you could probably get off a local lot.
No way, not even close. You can still fly almost anywhere in the US for under $200 one way. Add in ground transportation to dealer and max $250 on gas driving back home. So that is still under $500 to save $2,600, even if your local dealer would discount you $500 off MSRP you're still saving more than $2,000!!!

Of course if you live closer you'll save even more. For me air fare is $135 and return gas only $70 so savings of over $2,400 off MSRP. Best my local dealers would do is $250 over invoice. Granted I could've squeezed them another hundred or two maybe but since they were so very very far away from other deal no need to waste either of our time.

And for any non believers here is the dealer link. Although since all their Fits now sold I expect the ad to come down soon.
Borman Autoplex Honda New Car Specials

_

Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
back in 2009 i test drove a fit and loved it but worried about what people would think of me because it isnt the manliest of cars....
You're worried about people questioning your "manliness" for driving a Fit, yet you buy a Jeep Liberty-the "chick car" of Jeeps.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I spent just under $19k for my 2011 sport M/T back in December. Thats TOTAL- all taxes and everything. Who knows what to believe with the markup between invoice and MSRP, but I got $300 off my car- which they said there was a $600 difference, but they also may have had a hold back or something. I got the discount cause i bought two of them- my wife got a 2011 Sport A/T, so $300 off of each.

They also had several 2010's on the lot, but they were in the 15k to 16k range still.

jeff

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
You're worried about people questioning your "manliness" for driving a Fit, yet you buy a Jeep Liberty-the "chick car" of Jeeps.
Haha I thought the same thing but didn't post. See I can't talk because I'm going to sell my current Detroit SVT machine to buy a Tidewater Blue Fit. I also ride a small 125cc Vespa looking scooter and even owned a Mazda Miata for a couple years back in '05. All stereotypical "chick" vehicles down to even the color of the Fit.

_

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Well if that's a chick jeep I guess you got me but oh well she has served me well this winter with all this crazy snow we've been getting and honestly I'll miss it.

Even if it is a chicks jeep

Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Well if that's a chick jeep I guess you got me but oh well she has served me well this winter with all this crazy snow we've been getting and honestly I'll miss it.

Even if it is a chicks jeep

It looks better than I imagined.

I guess I still think of liberties with those perrrty round boob looking headlights. I guess they changed them.

Clay

Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT

And for any non believers here is the dealer link. Although since all their Fits now sold I expect the ad to come down soon.
Borman Autoplex Honda New Car Specials

_
I've been looking at Fits for over 3 years now and that deal seems to be more the exception than the rule

it says 15,610 when you actually click on the more information tab. but hey, if you can get them down that far more power to you it would cost someone like me more than what it is worth to fly out of town since my wife would come as well plus she wouldn't like the long drive back as much as I would haha

but back to the OP: I'd say that trying to get a Fit now would be worth it. Of course, try to work a really good deal, but it sounds like it would benefit you right away to go ahead and buy instead of waiting for a price drop (less likely b/c lots of people will probably be doing the same as you!)

Quick Reply: Help! Dont wanna get hosed on a 2011 sport m/t