2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The official recall debate thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I admit I that the only thing that I read through in the main recall thread was AlphaQuad's posts, and I know that now I am (Fashionably!!!) late to the party, but I have to ask: What is so terrible about the way that Honda is acknowledging this recall? People are getting all up in arms over this...IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

They gave early notice, have provided information as to when/how the customer would be notified, and are willing to fix the problem for free (being a recall). They are standing by their product, informed the public, and are willing to fix it. What's the big deal? This doesn't tarnish Honda's reputation for reliability at all. At least they are acknowledging that there is a problem and that a recall is warranted.

Personal experience: My previous vehicle, a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, was riddled with problems. One of those problems regarded, according to a recall disseminated by Nissan, "faulty ECU programming" that could (and did) cause my car to stall at the most inopportune times. Repeatedly. In rush-hour traffic on I-95. As part of the recall, I took my Altima to a Nissan dealer and had them reprogram the ECU...but what I did not learn until I did some research afterwards was that the cause of this problem was not just the ECU, but also a faulty crankshaft position sensor that was NOT covered under the recall. My car was out of warranty at that time, and even though the CPS was part of the cause for the problem, Nissan only paid for the ECU reprogramming while I got stuck with a $300 tab to repair the CPS. They only covered half of the problem under their "recall."

They also don't acknowledge widespread problems under recall as well. One day my MIL threw the P0420 code. For most people this is just an inefficient catalyst system; for Nissan's QR25DE line of engines this is a death sentence. Nissan acknowledged the problem via a TSB that required me to shell out $1500+ for a new catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and exhaust manifold. A quick Google of the problem yields that the problem is incredibly widespread amongst 2002-2006 4 cyl Altimas, yet Nissan did not acknowledge this serious issue via a recall. By the time I got around to servicing the car, damaged catalyst substrate had already been sucked through the exhaust manifold and into the engine, scoring my piston rings, causing ridiculous oil consumption, and basically ruining my engine. I spoke and wrote to Nissan's consumer affairs department regarding this issue, and they would not budge with even helping to pay for repairs, even though the problem is incredibly common in vehicles powered by the QR engine. Not bashing Nissan, just speaking the truth...enter my new Honda Fit

So before anyone bashes Honda about how they are "mishandling" this recall, consider that it could be much, much worse.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
recall tailgate pardeh at the dealer anyone??? LOL

Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
My contribution:

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
Lets do it! I just want to see the look on the tech's faces when Lyon pulls into the service bay.